HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Just bought my first blu-ray. I'm excited.

Old 05-13-08, 10:42 PM

Just bought my first blu-ray. I'm excited.

I was going to wait for further price cuts, but decided to get the Playstation 3 for blu-ray mainly. I first bought the spider-man trilogy set but realized i sort burned out from watching them enough times so insted of returning it, i sold it to a good friend of mine for a bit less what i paid for. No biggie.

So the first movie i bought was The Shining since it's one of my favorite horror films. And boy was i blown away. I know how amazing im sure some of the new releases are but when you watch a movie that's over 25 years old in crystal sharp images, it was a sight to behold. Even my wife jaws were dropping.

The next step i took was to take advantage of the 2 for $30 Best Buy offer.

Bought

Goodfellas and The Rock

then The Departed and Hostel

and finally Dracula and A Few Good Men

I think I'm done for a while money-wise lol. But just wanted to say hello to all fellow blu-ray owners and say, well another one bites the dust

Proudly own the Samsung LN46A550 46-inch 1080p LCD HDTV. I feel really broke writing all this but i'm as content as i can be.
Old 05-13-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Nice, I recently did the same thing with a PS3 and I'm glad I did, seeing as how a price drop is apparently not on the horizon. I only have a few Blu-rays, my first being No Country for Old Men, but all of them look phenomenal. I haven't personally seen either, but a friend said the Departed and The Rock look great.

I may have to check out that offer at Best Buy, too. I just rented Butch Cassidy in Blu, but I'm glad I didn't buy it, as it does not look anywhere near as good as Bonnie and Clyde.
Old 05-14-08, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congrats.

I am glad I waited till this year to get my PS3. It was over $600 CAD at launch. I paid only $279.99 CAD on Boxing Day. What a great BD player it is!
Old 05-14-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice, I bought mine used (60gb) for $350 earlier this year too.

The Shining and 2001 look fantastic on Blu. The Thing also looks fantastic, but thats HDDVD. The ones of your first batch that seem the most impressive, though, are probably The Departed (incredibly crisp and clean) and The Rock (I know it's only about 12 years old, but some of the hair styles look like they're from another era altogether, it's actually pretty funny) look great. Gattaca also looks fantastic, if you know, thats what you're into.
Old 05-14-08, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Willh51
Nice, I recently did the same thing with a PS3 and I'm glad I did, seeing as how a price drop is apparently not on the horizon. I only have a few Blu-rays, my first being No Country for Old Men, but all of them look phenomenal. I haven't personally seen either, but a friend said the Departed and The Rock look great.

I may have to check out that offer at Best Buy, too. I just rented Butch Cassidy in Blu, but I'm glad I didn't buy it, as it does not look anywhere near as good as Bonnie and Clyde.
it shouldn't, since Warner's put more time and effort (4K transfer) than what Fox did for Butch Cassidy.
Old 05-14-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Congrats on the dip, and enjoy! My collection just keeps growing and growing, and I REALLY see a difference between BD & DVD now that I have a front projector and a 92 inch screen in my media room! I upgraded from a 34 inch tube HDTV, and WOW!
Old 05-14-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
Congrats on the dip, and enjoy! My collection just keeps growing and growing, and I REALLY see a difference between BD & DVD now that I have a front projector and a 92 inch screen in my media room! I upgraded from a 34 inch tube HDTV, and WOW!
Same setup here.. it really is night and day.
Old 05-14-08, 12:42 PM

I find myself much more impressed with older movies on BD, especially those I have seen several times. My first one was "The Road Warrior" and it looked so much better than I had ever seen it before. Same with "2001", "The Shining" and "A Clockwork Orange".

New movies look great but a lot of them I am seeing for the first time so there is nothing to compare to.
Old 05-14-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

JMcCraw...

In complete agreement, especially on Road Warrior! Did you ever remember seeing green grass in the movie?!?
Old 05-14-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
it shouldn't, since Warner's put more time and effort (4K transfer) than what Fox did for Butch Cassidy.

If I may make a small suggestion, instead of the word "shouldn't", I believe I'd say either "wouldn't" or "doesn't". That Fox didn't properly restore "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" before carelessly slapping it onto Blu-ray (minus half of the special features already available on previous releases, to boot) and puking it into release is a vile and heinous sin against all that is good and pure. It most definitely SHOULD look every bit as good as "Bonnie and Clyde"; Fox is apparently just much less concerned over the preservation and presentation of the films in their library.

Word choice aside, that's what you really meant, though, right?
Old 05-14-08, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by applesandrice
If I may make a small suggestion, instead of the word "shouldn't", I believe I'd say either "wouldn't" or "doesn't". That Fox didn't properly restore "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" before carelessly slapping it onto Blu-ray (minus half of the special features already available on previous releases, to boot) and puking it into release is a vile and heinous sin against all that is good and pure. It most definitely SHOULD look every bit as good as "Bonnie and Clyde"; Fox is apparently just much less concerned over the preservation and presentation of the films in their library.

Word choice aside, that's what you really meant, though, right?
yup

my fingers are crossed that: Patton, The Sand Pebbles, The Longest Day will be better transfers.

HDNet movies aired a beautiful HiDef presentation of 'West Side Story' that envitably get released via Fox (please, ) Fox' few catalog titles seem like a mix bag. Likewise, what's been shown on satellite channel MGM-HD is just but a tease and waiting game for titles that need to released if it takes kicking Fox in the head.
Old 05-14-08, 02:03 PM

I may have stopped buying more for the time being. But look and behold, my wonderful amazing wife decided to surprise me and bought John Carpenter's Halloween and Evil Dead II on Amazon. Prices are great too, at $15.99 each with free shipping.

I love both movies. Be interesting to see how they both look in high def considering they are both older movies.
Old 05-14-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rainet
I know how amazing im sure some of the new releases are but when you watch a movie that's over 25 years old in crystal sharp images, it was a sight to behold. Even my wife jaws were dropping.
I think that's what really makes the jump to Blu-ray worth it. Sure, some older film transfers aren't miles away better than the DVD version, but it's still better, and when a good transfer like WB did with Bonnie & Clyde, it's really quite amazing.

I'm glad you didn't wait for further price cuts, because you'd probably be waiting awhile. I understand some people don't like that $26-$34 price tag for BDs, but considering the stunning picture and audio quality HD can bring, it isn't that awful price people make it out to be. It is more expensive, but considering you're getting the content in HD, for around $5-$10 more, I think it all becomes a matter of how much you care about the transfer of the film you want to see. If you look at BD sales charts you'll see that BD isn't exactly selling copies of curtain titles by the millions. With only 5 or so million BD players in homes so far, of course the price of BDs are going to be more expensive. The studios need to make a profit or they won't release any more BDs.

Last edited by nateman; 05-14-08 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You and I are basically in the same boat. I just bought my PS3 a couple of weeks ago and bought No Country as my first Blu-ray. Since then I've added Blade Runner and Pan's Labyrinth.
Old 05-14-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Once the MGS4 PS3 bundle is released, I'll finally join you guys.

I've already caught myself holding off on buying certain DVDs just because I know that I'll own a Blu-ray player soon.
Old 05-14-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
my fingers are crossed that: Patton, The Sand Pebbles, The Longest Day will be better transfers.
Word is that Patton is the new reference Blu-ray coming. Remastered from a 4k scan it supposedly looks incredible.
Old 05-15-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been hearing the print of Patton they've been showing is absolutely amazing, so I wouldn't be surprised if the BD sets a new standard for remasters.

Fox needs to get on the ball with their other restorations now.
Old 05-15-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That Patton news is exciting. Can't wait to see this.
Old 05-15-08, 09:04 AM

Patton + 65mm original negative + 4K scan + bluray transferral = super awesome!

Originally Posted by RichC2
I've been hearing the print of Patton they've been showing is absolutely amazing, so I wouldn't be surprised if the BD sets a new standard for remasters.

Fox needs to get on the ball with their other restorations now.
Warners has done some excellent 65mm transfers: Grand Prix, Mutiny on the Bounty... they've started the standards - it's Fox and the other studios that have 65mm films (yes, I looking at Genius: El Cid, Fall of the Roman Empire) that can benefit from bluray's higher resolution. HDNet Movie's airing of 'Lawrence of Arabia' has me salivating for it's 2009 bluray release.

Last edited by Giles; 05-15-08 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 01:23 PM

A friend of mine just got a blu-ray player recently. But he had his HDTV for a while. So he only has 1080i. He asked me what is better to watch in, 720P or 1080i. I wasn't sure since i use 1080P. So i figured i ask the DVDTalk experts here. Would it be better for him to watch his blu-rays with 720P or 1080i?
Old 05-15-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by clckworang
You and I are basically in the same boat. I just bought my PS3 a couple of weeks ago and bought No Country as my first Blu-ray. Since then I've added Blade Runner and Pan's Labyrinth.

I want Blade Runner but I have the HD DVD and still can't bring myself just to get the Blu-Ray since the HD is not going bad anytime soon sitting on the shelf. No Country looks great, though!

And yes, Fox should have put more time into Butch Cassidy. Does the new dvd have all the print damage that the Blu-Ray does?
Old 05-15-08, 02:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rainet
A friend of mine just got a blu-ray player recently. But he had his HDTV for a while. So he only has 1080i. He asked me what is better to watch in, 720P or 1080i. I wasn't sure since i use 1080P. So i figured i ask the DVDTalk experts here. Would it be better for him to watch his blu-rays with 720P or 1080i?
If his TV is 1080i, watch it in that.
Old 05-15-08, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
If his TV is 1080i, watch it in that.
my Samsung TV is goddamn annoying I have to manually check 1080i every timie I want to watch a movie upconverted since the player seems to automatically send the image as 720

Last edited by Giles; 05-15-08 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
It's interesting how many have bought No Country for Old Men as their first Blu-ray. I don't own a Blu-ray player yet but that title would be my first purchase. Awesome film.
Old 05-15-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I want Blade Runner but I have the HD DVD and still can't bring myself just to get the Blu-Ray since the HD is not going bad anytime soon sitting on the shelf. No Country looks great, though!

And yes, Fox should have put more time into Butch Cassidy. Does the new dvd have all the print damage that the Blu-Ray does?
You see, I had the same issue, I had Blade Runner given to me on HD-DVD as a Christmas present. But with Best Buy selling it for $15 (since I bought Pan's Labyrinth as well), it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.