Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

KINO goes Blu

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

KINO goes Blu

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KINO goes Blu

LINK

Top foreign film distributor Kinowelt has become the latest indie to jump into high-def, announcing that they will begin releasing titles on Blu-ray in 2008.

Although they offered no exact street date, Kinowelt has confirmed that their first Blu-ray release will be Wong Kar Wai's 'Fallen Angels,' which is due sometime this fall. (No tech specs or supplement details have been announced.)

One of the largest distributors of foreign and indie films on DVD throughout the past decade, Kinowelt (aka Kino Video) says it plans to support the format, with a number of Blu-ray releases in the works. Possessing a diverse library of classic films, documentaries, and rare silent shorts, some of the highly-desirable titles in its catalog include early Laurel & Hardy productions, Harry Houdini films, 'The Wonderful Horrible Life Of Leni Riefenstahl,' and Fritz Lang's 'Metropolis.'
EDIT:
A fellow dvdtalk forum member has brought to my attention that this Hidefdigest article contains some innaccuracies. "Kinowelt" is a German distributor unrelated to Kino Video. That said, It has been confirmed that Kino Video will begin releasing titles on Blu-ray this fall.

LINK to Blu-ray.com article.

Last edited by JackBurton; 05-10-08 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-09-08, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome choice for first blu ray title
Old 05-09-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kino blows. I wished Criterion could snag up all of Kino's licenses for Blu-ray but I guess it's not going to happen.

*crossing my fingers for Masters of Cinema announcement.
Old 05-10-08, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kino goes Blu

They don't have much choice.

I'd like Nosferatu and Metropolis to start with if they do them right.
Old 05-10-08, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kino is inconsistent to say the least, but Fallen Angels should look fine -- there's a new HD master already available (it was used for the R4/R2J/R3K DVDs) and it looks stunning even in standard-def. Given Kino's size and their tendency to scrimp, they'll probably just use the same master. And standards conversion (traditionally one of Kino's big problems) should be less of an issue with HD.

Pretty amazing to think that Wong Kar-wai will have over half his filmography out on Blu before the end of the year...
Old 05-10-08, 07:31 AM

Kino is one of the reasons I had to import SD-DVD. They've fucked up many releases. I wouldn't be suprised if they released BD titles with burnt in / forced subs...lol

Last edited by splattii2; 05-10-08 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-10-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It will be interesting to see how this sort of thing unfolds. Blu-Ray is great. You can see details in the picture that gives you a real in-the-theater experience, especially with a projector. I love seeing a 1935 movie the way it was supposed to be seen. However, scratches and any other defects in the source print become very obvious. Not every film will receive an expensive digital do-over, and people are going to be disappointed.
Old 05-10-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by splattii2
Kino is one of the reasons I had to import SD-DVD. They've fucked up many releases. I wouldn't be suprised if they released BD titles with burnt in / forced subs...lol
I have to admit the first thing I think of when I hear Kino is cheap bad public domain stuff.

Definitely have to wait on reviews with their stuff.
Old 05-10-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
*crossing my fingers for Masters of Cinema announcement.
I thought MoC had more or less announced, though I believe that cover is just an amazon mock-up.
Old 05-10-08, 08:16 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Who?
Old 05-10-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Who?
Them.
Old 05-10-08, 09:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I recognized maybe 3-4 movies from them...looks like its not so important for me, I'm sure others are thrilled.
Old 05-10-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who?
Gizmo, if you were asking about the MoC/my comment, it is them, Masters of Cinema (rather than the them--Kino--that Adam Tyner linked to).

They're a niche arthouse R2 company. Similar goals (and sometimes similar/same releases) as Criterion.
Old 05-10-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,505 Posts
I really hope they do a good job on FALLEN ANGELS, I love the film. But knowing Kino, I'm kinda worried.
Old 05-11-08, 09:06 PM

actualy, the Kinowelt announced is far more exciting to me. These are the folks that have ALL the L&H films (silent and sound) on DVD right now in an expensive R2 box set. Would Germany be a non -R1 Blu-ray disc set? if so, then Grrr- I will have to wait for Oppo to come out with a region free Blu-Ray player?
Old 05-11-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I recognized maybe 3-4 movies from them...looks like its not so important for me, I'm sure others are thrilled.
If you're interested in Kino, you should be far more interested in Masters of Cinema. I've basically sold off all my Kinos to import the overseas releases including a few MoC.
Old 03-24-09, 08:11 PM

Re: KINO goes Blu

I wonder whatever became of this?

Kino is about to release new DVD special editions of "Fallen Angels" and "Happy Together", both "remastered from new HD film transfers" (according to Amazon) -- but still no Blu-ray discs.

It's also been several months since I saw any news on supposed upcoming "Metropolis" BD restoration incorporating the newly-discovered footage.

Anyone know what gives here? A search on term "Blu-ray" at Kino's website yields zero results.
Old 03-24-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Kino does eventually put out Blu-ray discs of these or any other titles, I'm sure they'll find a way to screw them up.
Old 03-24-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any Wong Kar Wai films on Blu-ray warrant a definite purchase as long as the quality is good.

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize how old the initial post was.
Old 03-25-09, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GenPion
Any Wong Kar Wai films on Blu-ray warrant a definite purchase as long as the quality is good.
Blu-ray has been kind to the man... My Blueberry Nights, Chungking Express, and Ashes of Time Redux are all available.
Old 03-25-09, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Blu-ray has been kind to the man... My Blueberry Nights, Chungking Express, and Ashes of Time Redux are all available.
And so are As Tears Go By and Days of Being Wild.

Pro-B
Old 03-25-09, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Guy ATL
I wonder whatever became of this?

Kino is about to release new DVD special editions of "Fallen Angels" and "Happy Together", both "remastered from new HD film transfers" (according to Amazon) -- but still no Blu-ray discs.

It's also been several months since I saw any news on supposed upcoming "Metropolis" BD restoration incorporating the newly-discovered footage.
I doubt there's anything to report. The rediscovered footage clearly requires significant restoration work, and Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung (who own the rights and are handling the restoration) already has other stuff on their plate, e.g. the endlessly-delayed Nibelungen. It's not going to happen this year and frankly 2010 would surprise me as well. In any event it's not up to Kino at this stage.

And as for the "where is Kino" question, beats me. The situation with the Wong titles is especially odd since fine HD source material obviously exists -- it's just that nobody has bothered releasing it in HD (Artificial Eye didn't issue Happy Together on BD either). It may just be that the economy prompted Kino to play it safe, although Criterion claims to be doing very well with their BDs. I hope they make the leap soon, since they're the biggest outfit in the U.S. with a particular interest in silent cinema and nobody else seems to be in any hurry to put that stuff on Blu.
Old 03-25-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It seems that Kino has no interest in updating anyone about whatever blu-ray plans they may or may not have...

I have been holding out on purchasing the AE "Happy Together" SD (a very well-reviewed disc) for the outside possibility that Kino's release next Tuesday might be better, or that the WKW interview exclusive to their disc is worth more than a rental viewing, or that perhaps we'll get an update regarding blu-ray plans. I suppose they don't send out review copies as the usual review sites have nothing up yet.

I just want confirmation that there's no good reason to pay Kino's ridiculously high prices.
Old 03-25-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, with a lot of their catalog I can't see how Blu-ray could make much difference. With something like Casablanca, sure, but is Die Nibelungen really going to look better on Blu-ray? I doubt it.
Old 03-25-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

^

You might want to consider the AE disc more seriously, Rich - it is very strong.

Pro-B

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.