Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

+1 for standardized packaging.
Old 02-26-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
They spent money to design something to hold them over until something else was done which they wanted in the first place?
Stranger things have happened in this biz.
Old 02-26-09, 04:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Stranger things have happened in this biz.
Maybe they can re-release the current BDs with a new numbering system so Blu-ray feels like its being treated like a format to replace DVD and not an extension. That would be nice.
Old 02-26-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
+1 for standardized packaging.
I don't get this. Is it an OCD thing, or is it something else?
Old 02-26-09, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
So's a format with industry-wide packaging consistency defeated by the products of a single distributor, IMO.
I have several Blu-ray Discs that are in "non-standard" packaging that aren't Criterion. I'm on the side that thinks standardization is boring.
Old 02-26-09, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe they can re-release the current BDs with a new numbering system so Blu-ray feels like its being treated like a format to replace DVD and not an extension. That would be nice.
No, no, very bad idea. I'm very happy the way Criterion has treated the spine numbers with Blu-rays.

I think had the studios treated Blu-ray as a special format with say, special cover art that does not suck, and perhaps always including the theatrical version with director's cuts or unrated cuts (Where the fuck is my theatrical version of Donnie Brasco?)... then maybe Criterion would follow suit. But as it stands, Blu-ray is really just an upgrade PQ and AQ. Nothing more, sometimes less.
Old 02-28-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
No, no, very bad idea. I'm very happy the way Criterion has treated the spine numbers with Blu-rays.
I wish they'd kept the spine numbers consistent with the laserdiscs. 'Man Who Fell To Earth', for instance, should be the same catalog number on all three formats. I gotta agree with Gizmo; they treated DVD as an entirely new set of releases than laserdisc, why aren't they doing the same with BR?

Last edited by wergo; 02-28-09 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-28-09, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I like how Criterion has been working on a design to fit the book in a new, redesigned case for a while now yet didn't they already do that when they launched the Blu-rays since they use a brand new method no other Studio has done before? They spent money to design something to hold them over until something else was done which they wanted in the first place?
I just want to point this out out, but I called that they would probably be switching packaging a month or two ago. They probably heard the complaints and decided to make the change.
Old 02-28-09, 11:54 AM
Suspended

For those that have both - are Blu-ray and DVD "booklets" the same size? If so - could'nt they just have used normal BD cases + slip covers from the start? My Name is Bruce comes with a 36 page comic and it fits inside a normal BD case just fine. Unless they are recycling the same booklets from the DVD to BD it should have been normal from the get-go.
Old 02-28-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they will release them in the new plastic but put slip cases over them, so that they match the look and feel of the previous releases, they will probably offer a trade-in service as well
Old 02-28-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by CloverClover
...they will probably offer a trade-in service as well
I sure hope so. As much as I love the Blu Ray release of The Third Man the packaging just looks and feels cheap.

I also hope the new packaging shows up for Ran, but who knows if that will happen?
Old 02-28-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CloverClover
.......they will probably offer a trade-in service as well.
....and while they're at it, how about a trade-in service for the old DVDs?

I'd pony up a couple bucks to upgrade to Blu, but considering a) what I paid for the DVD, and; b) the price they are asking for the upgrade, I'm in no hurry to start replacing my Criterions.
Old 02-28-09, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Did they ever go through with that trade-in service?
Old 02-28-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wergo
I wish they'd kept the spine numbers consistent with the laserdiscs. 'Man Who Fell To Earth', for instance, should be the same catalog number on all three formats. I gotta agree with Gizmo; they treated DVD as an entirely new set of releases than laserdisc, why aren't they doing the same with BR?
Because DVD and Blu-ray are nearly the same thing while LaserDisc has pretty much nothing in common with DVD.
Old 03-01-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those that have both - are Blu-ray and DVD "booklets" the same size? If so - could'nt they just have used normal BD cases + slip covers from the start? My Name is Bruce comes with a 36 page comic and it fits inside a normal BD case just fine. Unless they are recycling the same booklets from the DVD to BD it should have been normal from the get-go.
Nope. The BR booklet is about an inch shorter. Which is a real shame 'cause it would have been nice to have been able to just move the old (complete) DVD booklets into the new BR case. You CAN put it in the sleeve, but it'll stick out of the top in a pretty ugly fashion.
Old 03-01-09, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Because DVD and Blu-ray are nearly the same thing while LaserDisc has pretty much nothing in common with DVD.
All 3 are discs and all 3 were suppose to be the next big 'thing' to replace the previous.
Old 03-01-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All 3 are discs and all 3 were suppose to be the next big 'thing' to replace the previous.
And only one of them succeeded. I think Criterion put things into perspective when considering DVD vs. Blu-ray.
Old 03-01-09, 09:11 PM
Suspended

And only one of them succeeded. I think Criterion put things into perspective when considering DVD vs. Blu-ray.
I wouldn't hardly call Laserdisc a failure when it continued to produce both players and discs for well over a decade with full studio support for a good chunk of its lifetime. DVD was clearly the next step and new spine numbers for existing, already produced LDs were made for DVD. The same was not done for Blu-ray. Surprised this question has not been asked to Criterion - or if they chose to ignore it.
Old 03-01-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I emailed Jon Mulvaney about the spine numbering in December, here's what he had to say:

Regarding your question about spine numbers, our Blu-Ray releases represent a significant upgrade when it comes to audiovisual quality, and many of our customers will want to take advantage of that, but we're not starting over at number 1, and we're not expecting our longstanding DVD collectors to do so either. Where content is concerned, we aren't planning on publishing anything on our Blu-Ray editions that won't be also be available on DVD. Whether you collect only DVDs or only Blu-Ray discs or a mix, it's all part of your Criterion Collection -- and they'll all line up in spine number order.
Old 03-02-09, 01:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So they're not going to take advantage of the extra capabilities of Blu-ray. And that's on top of the Blu-ray editions having worse packaging and less physical features than their DVD counterparts. How far the mighty have fallen.
Old 03-02-09, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Isn't the main thing getting the movie in HD though? Maybe they don't want to shaft the DVD customers by withholding extras. PiP seems kind of tacky for Criterion.

If they really wanted the BDs to blend in, they should have gone all the way and used DVD-sized packaging. Not that I'm suggesting they should have done that; I would have been in favor of new spine numbers.
Old 03-02-09, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I thought it would have been really nice if Criterion had a BD-Live network, so you'd be able to get other commentaries from historians, restorationists, etc.

I didn't get a reply to that email.

But now after this Ran stuff and the BD not having the whole package, I think....fine. You can use your BD-Live network to fix your mistakes, just like every other studio, and stream the content. Sheesh. So much for Criterion BDs being the top tier product I expected them to be. They still didn't respond to my query about The Third Man's extra features being non anamorphic. Then again, we're in the first year, so they can only improve.
Old 03-02-09, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

re: "this Ran stuff"

they lost the rights to the 1 extra not being included on the BD.
Old 03-02-09, 06:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redbill

Sorry, I missed this. What is the extra not appearing on the Blu-ray of RAN?
Old 03-02-09, 09:52 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by redbill

Its apparently 2 extras if the information is correct (2 pages back).
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9288500-post679.html

Shame though for those that want to get rid of the DVD and replace it with the Blu-ray...which is now not possible unless they don't care about extras or make a copy to toss inside the already odd-looking Blu-ray case.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.