DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Criterion releases on Blu-Rays (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/531071-criterion-releases-blu-rays.html)

NoirFan 08-19-08 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 8879484)
Judging from the cover art, it appears these may use DVD-sized cases.

Perhaps not:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...dunny/1-15.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...kdunny/2-6.jpg

MoviePage 08-22-08 01:03 PM

The Criterion Collection Bulletin - August 22, 2008:

Dear Criterion viewers,

It's been a week since we officially announced our first Blu-ray releases, and people have been writing in with a lot of questions. As we inaugurate a new Blu-ray section of our FAQ, we thought we'd share with you the five most common questions about our Blu-ray launch.

On another front, there are only three days remaining in our current special promotion. Any film in the Criterion Collection that has a spine number ending in 8 will be discounted an additional 10 percent off the regular Criterion store price. (This doesn't apply to out-of-print titles or those that can only be purchased in box sets without spines that end in 8.) Click here for a list of titles. Sale ends at midnight on Sunday, August 24.

Happy viewing!

Are Criterion's Blu-ray discs region-encoded?

Yes. Criterion is licensed to sell most of its editions only in North America.

Why should I buy regular DVDs when I don't know if Criterion will release a Blu-ray version six months from now?

If you love these films, keep buying DVDs. It is going to be quite a while before the Blu-ray marketplace can support many of the titles Criterion releases on DVD. For new releases, if we think a title has a shot of succeeding on Blu-ray, we aim to put out both editions at the same time, so you can make an informed choice. Where classics from our catalog are concerned, to give you a little extra comfort we'll be offering a $20 Blu-ray upgrade program for customers who have already bought the equivalent edition on DVD. You send us the movie disc from your DVD edition, and for $20 (plus tax and shipping) we'll exchange it for the Blu-ray version, simple as that. For more on how this works, click here.* (Note: Or just see below, I added the info from the webpage.)

What is the packaging going to look like?

Our Blu-ray packaging will be similar to our DVD packaging, only in the smaller Blu-ray size. As with DVDs, we'll use a range of paper and plastic packaging, and we'll bring the same care and attention to the design. Where we're upgrading an existing release, the design will match right down to the disc labels, so if you want to take advantage of the $20 Blu-ray upgrade program, your replacement disc will fit right into the design of your existing Criterion DVD edition. In the store, if you want to be sure you're buying the Blu-ray edition and not the standard-def DVD version, you'll know it by the smaller size and the blue Blu-ray sticker on the front.

Will there be spine numbers?

Spine numbers on our Blu-ray discs will match the existing DVD editions. Our Blu-ray releases represent a significant upgrade when it comes to audiovisual quality, and many of our customers will want to take advantage of that, but we're not starting over at number 1, and we're not expecting our longstanding DVD collectors to do so either. Where content is concerned, we aren't planning on publishing anything on our Blu-ray editions that won't also be available on DVD. Whether you collect only DVDs or only Blu-ray discs or a mix, it's all part of your Criterion collection—and they'll all line up in spine-number order.

What will Criterion Blu-ray discs cost?

Criterion's Blu-ray editions will generally be priced to match our DVDs. It makes sense to us: High-definition mastering and restoration has been a part of our DVD production standard for years. And for our customers who might be on the fence about whether to buy DVD or Blu-ray, we thought the best thing we could do was take price out of the equation.

*Rebate offer subject to change.
Details on rebate offer referenced above:

How will the Blu-ray upgrade program work?

Just mail your disc to:

The Criterion Collection
Attn: Jon Mulvaney
215 Park Avenue South, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10003

Be sure to include your U.S. or Canadian mailing address inside the package, as we cannot ship outside of North America. Please also include your e-mail address in case we need to contact you. You can send in your disc for exchange anytime, but we won’t be sending out the Blu-ray discs until their release dates.

You can pay the $20 plus tax (New York State only) and $5 shipping and handling by a check or money order made payable to the Criterion Collection. You can also pay by PayPal by making a payment to [email protected] (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover welcome). If your shipping address is in New York State, the total is $26.50 for the upgrade of one DVD. If your shipping address is in any other state or in Canada, the total is $25.

We’ll mail the Blu-ray disc in a sleeve, and you'll be able to place the new disc in your existing packaging. This doesn't give you the new Blu-ray packaging, but it does give you an option if you want the Blu-ray version but don't want to buy the entire set again. This offer only applies to "like" editions. For example, you can return disc 1 of the rerelease of The Third Man but not the earlier, out-of-print edition.

If you have any questions about the Blu-ray upgrade offer please e-mail Jon Mulvaney at [email protected]. We reserve the right to change or discontinue this program at any time.

bunkaroo 08-22-08 01:22 PM

I applaud them for offering some kind of exchange, but I would want the BD packaging so I would likely just sell off the DVD.

I'm guessing the price of a Criterion Blu-Ray minus what I get for the DVD will be comparable to $25 anyway.

Adboy151 08-22-08 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 8890430)
I applaud them for offering some kind of exchange, but I would want the BD packaging so I would likely just sell off the DVD.

I'm guessing the price of a Criterion Blu-Ray minus what I get for the DVD will be comparable to $25 anyway.

Yeah nice of them to at least offer the option, but for the most part on $40 list titles, you're looking at $26 to $28 pre-order prices at Amazon or DVD Planet on the BD.

Better off selling your DVD versions and turning that money back into the BD.

clckworang 08-22-08 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Adboy151 (Post 8890498)
Yeah nice of them to at least offer the option, but for the most part on $40 list titles, you're looking at $26 to $28 pre-order prices at Amazon or DVD Planet on the BD.

That's just what I was thinking. For the price that I'll bet Amazon will be charging for a new Criterion Blu-ray, it will pretty much cost the same thing, maybe even less. That's not much of an upgrade deal, but I suppose it at least makes them look good for providing that option.

bunkaroo 08-22-08 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang (Post 8890611)
That's just what I was thinking. For the price that I'll bet Amazon will be charging for a new Criterion Blu-ray, it will pretty much cost the same thing, maybe even less. That's not much of an upgrade deal, but I suppose it at least makes them look good for providing that option.

Or we can go the conspiracy theory route and surmise they picked that price point precisely to discourage direct trade-ins. :)

sauce07 08-22-08 03:06 PM

this is how a company should treat their customers

Luther Heggs 08-22-08 03:57 PM

Definitely going to use the upgrade option for The Man Who Fell to Earth.

darkside 08-22-08 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Adboy151 (Post 8890498)

Agree, but I just love the fact they are offering to do this. I'm definitely upgrading Third Man for a second time.

DVD Guy ATL 08-22-08 08:20 PM

These titles are available for pre-order at DVD Empire, where this code is active among others:
$10 off $50. 1342655. Expires 8-31-08

Works out quite nicely with the free shipping offer, esp. if you are only ordering two titles. Cheaper than the upgrade program!

PopcornTreeCt 08-22-08 08:31 PM

That seems like a good deal for those of us that have The Last Emperor. This way I can get the theatrical on Blu-ray and still keep the other version on DVD.

I was pretty hesitant to upgrade but Criterion has a good thing going with the exchange program.

Gizmo 08-22-08 09:12 PM

Exchange is pretty stupid though.

Send them the disc plus $20 (and shipping and handling...so $25 plus the $3 it takes to mail the disc to them) and they send you a BD version (disc only?). So for $25 you get a DVD case with a Blu-ray.

Or.

Spend $40 (MSRP) to buy Blu-ray and eBay off old DVD for $20. Hmmm...tough choice there.

PopcornTreeCt 08-22-08 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 8891270)

Send them the disc plus $20 (and shipping and handling...so $25 plus the $3 it takes to mail the disc to them) and they send you a BD version (disc only?). So for $25 you get a DVD case with a Blu-ray.

Or.

Spend $40 (MSRP) to buy Blu-ray and eBay off old DVD for $20. Hmmm...tough choice there.

I didn't realize that it was $25 instead of $20. $5 shipping and handling? Are they nuts?

NoirFan 08-22-08 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 8891385)
I didn't realize that it was $25 instead of $20. $5 shipping and handling? Are they nuts?

Clearly this is aimed at people who aren't aware of DVD Planet, the 20% off sale, or the high resell value of Criterion titles on Amazon.

MBoyd 08-22-08 11:00 PM

Well I am glad we have more information. All looks pretty good. I don't mind shelving these with my Criterions. I am FAR from being a completist, but I still like to keep all my Criterions even if I upgrade them. Something just feels special about keeping them as opposed to my other DVDs. "Gotta catch 'em all spine numbers" I guess. :lol:

Only one thing bothers me. I feel like Criterion could at the very least do a limited pressing of every new title they release on Blu Ray and offer it exclusively through Amazon and their site or something. Even if no Blu is announced there is no guarantee they won't release one within 5 years or so. But I understand their position. They have a catalog of 400+ titles to turn Blu if they choose and everyone of us out there is whining for our favorites. They won't be able to please everyone.

NoirFan 08-22-08 11:18 PM

What's with the apparent dropping of optional English subs on The Third Man and The Man Who Fell to Earth? Did someone in the press dept just make a mistake?

Hammer99 08-23-08 02:32 PM

Pre-orders (minus Third Man) are up at Amazon!

PopcornTreeCt 08-23-08 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer99 (Post 8892196)

Links? All I could find are the DVD versions.

Drexl 08-23-08 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer99 (Post 8892196)

I don't see Chungking Express. They have the DVD but not the BD.

Hammer99 08-23-08 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 8892212)
Links? All I could find are the DVD versions.

Got them off DVD Beaver.

Hammer99 08-23-08 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 8892214)
I don't see Chungking Express. They have the DVD but not the BD.

Thanks for the catch, DVDBeaver linked to the wrong URL.

ETA: or it might be right after all, the 2 links are different, looks like Amazon just didn't put BD in "Format:" under the missing picture.

clckworang 08-23-08 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 8891270)

Or.

Exactly. And the pre-orders at DVD Empire have these titles at $28. So, you can either go the eBay route and put that toward your purchases or pay $28 and have the DVD and Blu-ray. So the upgrade deal will only save you a couple of bucks, if that, depending on if Amazon offers a better price, and then you won't have the DVD or the Blu-ray packaging (I know that's important to some people). Don't see what all the praise is about among some people for this upgrade program. I think it's just good PR.

Giles 08-23-08 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer99 (Post 8892231)
Thanks for the catch, DVDBeaver linked to the wrong URL.

are you sure, the only thing that suggests that the url might be right are the release dates.

Hammer99 08-23-08 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 8892241)
are you sure, the only thing that suggests that the url might be right are the release dates.

You caught me in mid-edit!:D2:

Sweet Baby James 08-25-08 10:29 AM

They are now up for preorder at Amazon at $27.99 a pop.