Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Article: HD-DVD demise didn't boost Blu Ray Sales (Excludes PS3)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Article: HD-DVD demise didn't boost Blu Ray Sales (Excludes PS3)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Because the format can not, and will not survive by a video game system. Stand alones sales are very important. Obviously at this point PS3 is the way to go...but in the future it should be stand alones. I'm still waiting for a comparable stand alone to replace my PS3 with.
That's because in the past, video game consoles that played movies were subpar in quality. The PS3 just might be the best Blu-ray player on the market. It's certainly the best in its price range. I'm guessing most people are like myself - recommending a PS3 for those looking to pick up a Blu-ray player. I don't think the above stats mean anything without including PS3 sales since HD DVD folded.
Old 05-01-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apologies I glossed over the list part. Still does not make it right to sell the new players at the same price when the older ones have had the same price for the past 6 months.

Phillips made a pretty big error then. Do you really think Phillips will come out and give a reason for a $50 price hike? Saying it is an error is better then saying anything else.
It's sort of a dry spell again for these old BD standalones. Some sites are out of at least 1 or 2 of them. The Sammy 1400 and the Sony 300 should not be $399 today. Those are some old, old units. But with the new models coming in at that list price, they should street at $350 or less, depending on who is selling.
Old 05-01-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That's because in the past, video game consoles that played movies were subpar in quality. The PS3 just might be the best Blu-ray player on the market. It's certainly the best in its price range. I'm guessing most people are like myself - recommending a PS3 for those looking to pick up a Blu-ray player. I don't think the above stats mean anything without including PS3 sales since HD DVD folded.
See my earlier post in this thread. The PS3 numbers are widely available from NPD and they don't change the conclusions of the article at all. Sales of the PS3 rose 4% from Jan. to Feb. and declined 8% from Feb. to March.
Old 05-01-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster
Where are you getting the 6% market share? Seems awfully high, considering the Top 20 DVDs v. Top 20 Blu Rays only show about 6% penetration of Blu Ray sales. You take all the other DVDs out there, and you are looking a lot less than 6% market share?
Go back and read my second paragraph....it addressed that exact point.
Old 05-01-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Go back and read my second paragraph....it addressed that exact point.
I'm sorry I stopped reading after the first paragraph when you said "all optical media sales" To say all and then attempt to qualify it in the next paragraph doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 05-01-08, 04:56 PM

It's hard to jump on the Blu band wagon just because of HD DVDs demise. I'm on the fence myself, but it seems like they're just assuming that w/o competition, people will buy blu 'just because'. Well, I'd rather be spending my money on HD DVD software that I still have yet to purchase given the big disparity in prices. And as a potential Blu buyer, I'm looking for a good deal b4 I really jump on Blu. A 5 free software deal, good discounts, et al. Maybe it won't happen, but I'll hold off on a purchase until some good deal comes around. I'm sure that is what others are doing as well.
Old 05-01-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fast NICHE followers NICHE aren't NICHE following NICHE so NICHE fast.

-beebs
Old 05-01-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

-bunkaroo
Old 05-01-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I personally don't see the value in people writing these stories if they're not going to include PS3.
Wasn't it always neck and neck anyway excluding PS3 sales?
Old 05-01-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wasn't it always neck and neck anyway excluding PS3 sales?
I don't recall personally. I believe the last few months before HD DVD folded did have Blu standalones selling more, but I don't have the numbers right now to post.
Old 05-01-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Well why would people be buying into HDM when they can barely afford the gas that gets them to the grocery store where they can't afford to buy any food?

The fact that ANY luxury items like a Blu-ray player are still being purchased is a mystery to me!
It's called credit. Still, I think Blu-ray is going to have a hard time this year, but I say this with a little caution. Hardware sales will be low, but I think software sales will be pretty good--well, for Blu-ray sales anyway and compared to nothing else other than previous Blu-ray sales. The reason being owners who already have a player, will be buying more titles. Going cold turkey into a Blu-ray system, won't be so easy this year. But then again, we don't know the consumer's priorities. If they buy an HDTV for $1500, what's another $400 for a Blu-ray player. But this goes back to the credit comment.
Old 05-01-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
This is not a very honest debate for two reasons:

1) Seasonality. Q1, from January to March, is the slowest of the year after the big fourth quarter leading into Christmas. So sales are going to be slow.

2) Have some of you guys heard about this little recession?
Old 05-01-08, 10:12 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Traxan
This is not a very honest debate for two reasons:

1) Seasonality. Q1, from January to March, is the slowest of the year after the big fourth quarter leading into Christmas. So sales are going to be slow.

2) Have some of you guys heard about this little recession?
1. Yet sales for Blu-ray discs are apparently "amazing" according to studios. Shouldn't people be buying players as well to watch these discs?

2. Yes, we all have. However that means little to me but should matter to the CEs that make Blu-ray stand alones. If they priced them lower, people might actually buy them. By keeping the prices high, especially in a recession, means very little will buy which may mean the death of the format.
Old 05-02-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Agreed. The true measure of penetration is reflected in software sales, and the most recent data has reflected about a 6% market share of all optical media sales.
TOTALLY INCORRECT.

That 6% is ONE week of the TOP 10 ONLY. The 11th best seller in DVD on any given week probably sells more than all the top 10 BDs combined.

We are seeing that roughly 5% of week 1 sales (because the top 10 for DVD shifts every week) is going to BD, and that is a generous interpretation of that weekly chart, which is, once again,

WORTHLESS WITHOUT HARD NUMBERS.

On the other hand, I agree wioth the post above by Mr. Cinema. Any comparison that leaves off the PS3 is not a valid one at all. He's also right that Feb-Mar-Apr is probably not a big time for this kind of stuff to sell.
Old 05-02-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Have some of you guys heard about this little recession?
[LIL' BUSH]I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about![/LIL' BUSH]
Old 05-02-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Yet sales for Blu-ray discs are apparently "amazing" according to studios. Shouldn't people be buying players as well to watch these discs?
Just last January, I bought a player. Mind you, it is glossy black, it has a weird ellipsoidal shape and it loads the discs like a car CD player does.

But it plays the movies just fine.
Old 05-03-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks in these terms, but my assumption is that BD player sales are soft because most of what's available are dated Profile 1.0 models, save for the PS3 and the Panny BD30.

When numerous 1.1 and 2.0 models are available I would expect to see sales pick up a bit, although the recession (or near-recession, if one believes the 1Q GDP numbers) may have an impact. Food and gasoline would seem to be a higher priority than $350-$600 disc players for some potential customers.
Old 05-03-08, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
Maybe I'm the only one who thinks in these terms, but my assumption is that BD player sales are soft because most of what's available are dated Profile 1.0 models, save for the PS3 and the Panny BD30.

When numerous 1.1 and 2.0 models are available I would expect to see sales pick up a bit, although the recession (or near-recession, if one believes the 1Q GDP numbers) may have an impact. Food and gasoline would seem to be a higher priority than $350-$600 disc players for some potential customers.
You'd think expensive dining, Mercedez Benz's, HDTV's, digital cameras, a literally floodload of other items would be as well. But, I don't see them dying, or see extravagant restaurants any less packed, I don't see 2K HDTV's any less trafficked or inquired about and bought in stores, I don't see luxury car makers going out of business.

I see hundreds of thousands of $300+ video game systems (360, PS3, Wii, etc) flying off the shelves every month though. I see a $60 video game looking to smash all sales records in spite of all the talk of people cutting back. That's what I see.

So, I can't say I see people changing their habits that much. If people want to buy something, they make a little sacrifice here and there, if they have to, and buy it. You'd think everyone was living in little cardboard shanty towns like the Great Depression, the way some people talk about our economy today (not referring to you, but others).

Last edited by thecrackedjack2; 05-03-08 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-03-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I always figured HD DVD's demise wouldn't have anything to do with Blu-ray's success. Manufacturers are still too arrogant lower the price of players. There has not been a plethora of titles. In fact, my purchases have gone down drastically. And then there's DVD.

Would things be different if HD DVD had won? $100 players would have much better chance at succeeding than $300 ones that do the exact the same thing.
Old 05-03-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I for one bought a PS3 only to use as a BR Player. The fact that it is a video game console is secondary, and I've only bought one game in over a year. I think the PS3 should definitely be included in their data.
Old 05-03-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
I can't believe anyone is still bringing up the PS3 in this discussion. Has no one read my posts in this thread??? I've stated multiple times: the PS3 numbers are widely available and they support the conclusions of the article: there has not been an increase in harware sales since HD DVD died PS3 included.
Old 05-03-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2. Yes, we all have. However that means little to me but should matter to the CEs that make Blu-ray stand alones. If they priced them lower, people might actually buy them. By keeping the prices high, especially in a recession, means very little will buy which may mean the death of the format.
Come on now, you know better than that. We're not being gouged, Blu-ray discs are expensive because they are a new design, which means new production lines instead of the old ones. That's why HD was cheaper. As it creeps into mass market status, the price will come down.
Old 05-03-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Why are Disney DVDs so expensive.
Old 05-03-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Come on now, you know better than that. We're not being gouged, Blu-ray discs are expensive because they are a new design, which means new production lines instead of the old ones. That's why HD was cheaper. As it creeps into mass market status, the price will come down.
Then why did prices go up on titles rather than down?
Old 05-03-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by thecrackedjack2
You'd think expensive dining, Mercedez Benz's, HDTV's, digital cameras, a literally floodload of other items would be as well. But, I don't see them dying, or see extravagant restaurants any less packed, I don't see 2K HDTV's any less trafficked or inquired about and bought in stores, I don't see luxury car makers going out of business.

I see hundreds of thousands of $300+ video game systems (360, PS3, Wii, etc) flying off the shelves every month though. I see a $60 video game looking to smash all sales records in spite of all the talk of people cutting back. That's what I see.

So, I can't say I see people changing their habits that much. If people want to buy something, they make a little sacrifice here and there, if they have to, and buy it. You'd think everyone was living in little cardboard shanty towns like the Great Depression, the way some people talk about our economy today (not referring to you, but others).
Actually its not the people that can afford "Mercedes Benz or expensive dining" that are getting hit right now, and the sucess of mass merchandise consumer electronics really has little to due with that market.

Yeah and the PS3 sales figures went down from Feb. to March, so "what you see" is wrong. And the fact that people are paying $60 for a game they expect to play over the next couple of months is a "bargain" in my book.

I can speak from personal experience with a commodity that is considered purely entertainment expenditures - tickets to sporting events and concerts. I sell a lot of tickets for events in the Chicago market, and trust me people are cutting back by not buying them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.