Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Whats taking so long for movies to be released onto BluRay !?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Whats taking so long for movies to be released onto BluRay !?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The format war is just like this presidential election. See Hillary is HD DVD and Obama is Blu-ray. HD DVD got momentum with the win in Pennsylvania but realistically still has no shot of winning. So Blu-ray won but all that fighting means it will lose to McCain.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 04-30-08 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The format war is just like this presidential election. See Hillary is HD DVD and Obama is Blu-ray. HD DVD got momentum with the win in Pennsylvania but realistically still has no shot of winning. So Blu-ray won but all that fighting means it will lose to McCain.
Why didn't Congress stop this metaphor from being tortured?
Old 05-01-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I would rather the studios take their time and get the release right the first time, rather then put out a lackluster release now and double dip down the line when the masses join in on the fun.
Old 05-01-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skiblet
Where are all the good movies? The Aliens, the star wars, the LOTRs, the Saving Private Ryans, etc. etc.. The BIG ones, you know what I mean. (jaws, the Thing, braveheart, goonies, ferris bueller, etc. etc.)
Those titles haven't been released because the Blu-ray market is in its infancy.

DVD had been on the market for over two years before we started seeing big A-titles like Aliens and Saving Private Ryan.
Old 05-01-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I agree. If they want the format to gain traction, they should be releasing at least one marquee title per month.....

For me, Master and Commander would qualify for May, but it keeps getting delayed, it's completely barebones, and the early reviews have pointed out issues with the transfer quality........
This is listed on Amazon as a pre-order for May 13.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Command...9691255&sr=8-1
Old 05-04-08, 11:12 AM

I'm just happy Blade Runner is out. That movie is better than all of those movies combine.
Old 05-04-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I for one am not in that much of a hurry for those "A" list titles. I remember the days when we had Twister and US Marshalls to choose from. Anamorphic and 5.1 were something to get real excited about. While frequently watched movies will always be upgraded, for the most part, my movies are all nice SE's with anamorphic widescreen and DD or DTS 5.1. Once they come out I'm sure I'll upgrade many at some point down the road, but I have no interest or the money to try and upgrade hundreds of movies at one time. Any DVD-r's or non-Anamorphic 1st gen DVD's I'll upgrade. The others will have to wait until they've been out a while and some deals are to be had. Now that there is no format war, I haven't seen a B&M sale on BD.
Old 05-05-08, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by skiblet
I jumped into blu ray about 3 months ago or so. I held off as long as I could. ive got the 1080p tv, i got the 350 dollar player, and about 25-30 movies in bluray.

But i just took a good look at the collection, and cant shake a feeling of regret - ok, there are some good ones in there , but about half of them just SUCK, and i bought them while I was in the rush of the "new toy" excitement.

I feel even more that way when i look at the blu ray library at any major store, or online. I look at the titles and think - who in the hell is paying $30 for Resident Evil, ... Wild Hogs, ... Rush Hour 3, etc.. Alexander, etc.. and many others that , well , they just suck. Cmon, lets admit it.

Where are all the good movies? The Aliens, the star wars, the LOTRs, the Saving Private Ryans, etc. etc.. The BIG ones, you know what I mean. (jaws, the Thing, braveheart, goonies, ferris bueller, etc. etc.)
Personally, I'd take five Kubrick movies on BD over Goonies and Ferris Bueller any day of the week.

Anyway, it's not like the 'major' catalog titles you mention were released very early in DVD's life:

- Saving Private Ryan had its first DVD release in November 1999.
- Braveheart was released in August 2000.
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off was first released in October 1999.
- Jaws was released in July 2000.
- The Goonies was released in July 2001

(DVD launched in 1997. You do the math)

Last edited by Grubert; 05-05-08 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-05-08, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by macnorton
No offense taken.

Put in essence you proved my point. You want Star Wars, Back to the Future, Lord of the Rings and such, you need to support the format. Granted I have yet to go Blu (waiting for a few things money wise...but I plan on buying titles before I get the player), but I will support to get my titles released.
It's easy to toss out, "you need to support the format" so titles you want might come out. That's ass-backwards. Give people the titles they want and they will support the format.

Originally Posted by kefrank
Not only that, they also sell when their margins-per-disc are not nearly as good as they will be once Blu-ray has greater penetration and infrastructure. There is really no reason for the OP to expect the most widely-appealing movies on BD right now, if he takes a moment to consider the business implications.
...or they release some big catalog titles and more people will buy into the format giving studios a bigger pool of owners for current day and date releases.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 05-05-08 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-05-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I certainly is a Catch-22. I understand a studio not wanting to blow a big catalog release until the install base is large enough for it to be impactful, but at the same time, the userbase won't grow until some of those "gotta-have-it" titles hit.

All that said, BD is way ahead of the curve compared to DVD.
Old 05-05-08, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I certainly is a Catch-22. I understand a studio not wanting to blow a big catalog release until the install base is large enough for it to be impactful, but at the same time, the userbase won't grow until some of those "gotta-have-it" titles hit.

All that said, BD is way ahead of the curve compared to DVD.
As expensive as it is to create a HD master, do an encode, and manufacturer a BD, I think they have given us a solid group of titles in less than 2 years time. And with Universal and Paramount ramping up soon, it'll only get better. I think we'll see more catalog titles beginning in 2009, which is when things should start to really pick up steam. We already know we're getting Gone With the Wind, North by Northwest, Ben Hur, and Wizard of Oz from Warners. And there's a good chance Universal will have Back to the Future ready as well. Fox is preparing Alien and Aliens for '09 also.

With the Wolf Man and The Birds remakes next year, that would be a prime opportunity to release some Classic Monsters and other Hitchcock titles.
Old 05-05-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
...or they release some big catalog titles and more people will buy into the format giving studios a bigger pool of owners for current day and date releases.
but that's just not necessary, because many people will buy into the format on the strength of the day and date titles alone. the studios will always have more day and date titles to release, but those goldmine catalog titles can only hit the format for the first time once. if i were the studios, i would wait at least until after this coming Christmas, when all of this year's summer blockbusters will have been released and the BD market will inevitably be larger.