Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Don't buy Fox old movie Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Don't buy Fox old movie Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL, I buy what I want. Why wouldn't I pay $28 for Mrs. Doubtfire, a movie that I love, instead of the same $28 for Witless Protection, a movie which I don't?
Old 04-25-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Classic.
Old 04-25-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Odd thing about Lionsgate.... the Weeds sets are actually CHEAPER on Blu-ray in general than the SD sets. NICE!
Old 04-25-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Odd thing about Lionsgate.... the Weeds sets are actually CHEAPER on Blu-ray in general than the SD sets. NICE!
I thought they carried the same list price as the DVD's. Either way, that is a good thing. I think Mad Men is priced relatively cheap as well.
Old 04-25-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't own a single Fox BD, and I won't until they start including at least MOST of the special features. There's no reasonable reason not to include them.

Fox can bite me.
Old 04-25-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I guess it all boils down to people voting with their wallets.

I vote "No" to titles in excess of $15.
Old 04-25-08, 10:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I always wait for the B1G1 deals - I ain't no putz.
Old 04-25-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Can't wait!
Old 04-25-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't buy it , until fox reduces their price.
Good idea, that will show them!
Old 04-25-08, 02:33 PM

It kills me when people say they won't buy a BD title for a certain price when the DVD can be had much cheaper. For me, a BD is worth more than a DVD, so I don't mind paying a little more. But wanting I, Robot more than anything and refusing to pay $20????? And the reason is because the DVD is $10?????? To me, BD and DVD are apples and oranges.
Old 04-25-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Admiral7
It kills me when people say they won't buy a BD title for a certain price when the DVD can be had much cheaper. For me, a BD is worth more than a DVD, so I don't mind paying a little more. But wanting I, Robot more than anything and refusing to pay $20????? And the reason is because the DVD is $10?????? To me, BD and DVD are apples and oranges.
I've made this argument before as well, but with little success.

While the average consumer who doesn't care about high-def will certainly say "Why should I buy movie X on Blu-Ray for $20 when I can get the same movie on DVD for $10", those who are actually actively seeking out HD content must realize there is a premium to be paid for high-def, regardless of special features. Production and replication costs for HD media are higher than DVD, thus the price is higher. I don't expect it to be this way forever, but I understand and accept how it is right now.

I do think Fox's catalog titles are priced too high, but I'm not going to let $6-$8 per title keep me from owning some of my favorite movies in HD. Now if they were releasing 100's of Blu-Ray I wanted I would have to adjust that thinking, but for a dozen or so catalog titles so far this year, I can manage the extra cost and enjoy the films now.

I realize many people here think those of us buying Fox BD's are contributing to the problem (vote with your wallet and such), but it is my belief that Fox is a very stubborn company (see last year's debacle), and they are going to do what they are going to do regardless of what the consumer thinks.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 04-25-08 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-25-08, 07:22 PM

While I agree that Fox sucks in almost every respect, I just had to chime in and say I watched the ID4 Blu-Ray last nite and I was Blown Away. The Pictute and Sound are both phenominal. Even better than I was expecting based on the reviews. I'm not a big "extras" guy, so based on picture and sound alone, I'm VERY happy with my ID4 for $19.99.
Old 04-25-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
What would you say if Fox released the Director's Cut later this year.
Old 04-25-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Admiral7
Believe it or not, some of us are on a budget. We choose to limit our spending on "luxuries" such as DVDs or BDs. Is the BD really worth that much more than a DVD? For some of us, it depends on the title.

In addition we have noticed, over the years, that disc prices tend to drop over time. Someone who sets a limit of $15 per title knows perfectly well that in six months or a year that BD will go on sale and be available for less than that figure. Why pay $20 or $30 now?

Consider this: suppose BDs cost $50 each. Would you still buy the same number of BDs (and only BDs)? If so, you must be quite wealthy. If not, then there is a limit to the value you place on Blu-ray Discs.

If, for you, money is not limiting then go for it. Others of us will continue to attempt to be frugal in the pursuit of our home theater hobby.
Old 04-25-08, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lizard
Is the BD really worth that much more than a DVD? For some of us, it depends on the title.
For the sound and video quality, abso-fuckin-lutely!
Old 04-25-08, 10:18 PM

What would you say if Fox released the Director's Cut later this year.
Seen it, and I prefer the ID4 theatrical. The extended cut is just a lot of unecessary extra stuff with Randy Quaid's family that slows down the film.

Now I do agree that some extended cuts are worth the wait. I won't buy the T2 Blu-Ray until the far superor extended cut is released.
Old 04-25-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
For the sound and video quality, abso-fuckin-lutely!
Picture was really good but I cant figure out why they still can't make an HD disc that sounds as good as the laserdisc did.
Old 04-26-08, 02:22 AM

27? What the hell?
Old 04-26-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
My most wanted disc right now is i, Robot (guilty pleasure) but as I've said before there isn't a chance in hell I'm buying it for $20 let alone the $40 asking price when the DVD can be found for sub $10.

I might bite around $15.
I caved in at $19.99 shipped for a new copy at Half.com.
Old 04-26-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
All Fox BDs I have are from BOGO which got the prices down to under $15. That was fine for me. I won't buy Predator or Independence Day because I have loaded editions on SD and will simply wait for later editions. If they don't come out, Fox simply loses my money.
Old 04-26-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Believe it or not, some of us are on a budget. We choose to limit our spending on "luxuries" such as DVDs or BDs. Is the BD really worth that much more than a DVD? For some of us, it depends on the title.

In addition we have noticed, over the years, that disc prices tend to drop over time. Someone who sets a limit of $15 per title knows perfectly well that in six months or a year that BD will go on sale and be available for less than that figure. Why pay $20 or $30 now?

Consider this: suppose BDs cost $50 each. Would you still buy the same number of BDs (and only BDs)? If so, you must be quite wealthy. If not, then there is a limit to the value you place on Blu-ray Discs.

If, for you, money is not limiting then go for it. Others of us will continue to attempt to be frugal in the pursuit of our home theater hobby.
Well said.
Old 04-26-08, 10:03 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
I caved in at $19.99 shipped for a new copy at Half.com.
Neither could I. I picked mine up at Target. Not only is I, Robot a great film, but its probably one of the best PQ/AQ discs on the format. Well worth $20.
Old 04-27-08, 08:35 AM

I would emphasize the fact that prices do not fall but plummet over time.

Take a look at your collection and look at the titles you bought back in the day. Those titles are so cheap now compare to what we paid for them in the past when we just had to have them.

I will wait until prices are much much cheaper on 95% of the titles I want. Very few titles command high prices for me.
Old 04-27-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stonewall
I would emphasize the fact that prices do not fall but plummet over time.

Take a look at your collection and look at the titles you bought back in the day. Those titles are so cheap now compare to what we paid for them in the past when we just had to have them.

I will wait until prices are much much cheaper on 95% of the titles I want. Very few titles command high prices for me.
Exactly. By being patient and waiting for prices to "plummet" or by working deals, one can get the very same Blu-ray Discs for much less cost.

Even in the case of new releases serious bargain hunters can sometimes get good deals. I pre-ordered The Golden Compass BD in February from Columbia House. My cost: $9.80. Others will pay $29.95 (or use the $5 off coupon to get a "deal") at a store and be happy with that. The studios and stores love them.
Old 04-27-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's nothing wrong with being frugal.

Personally, I prefer to get the disc when I want it, and not spend any time hunting down bargains. Life's too short.

I know the inevitable reply will be "I hardly spend any time at all", etc., but *personally*, I'd rather get my discs from the same trusted source every week. I hate having to manage stuff like orders from multiple vendors.

Another way I tend to look at many new release titles is, I would have went to the theater to see them but I hate the theater for the most part these days. So, the cost of two tickets plus gas, forget about snacks, is equal to what I would spend on a Blu-Ray of a new title. This is why I don't mind for a minute spending $24 at Amazon for Golden Compass. Rationalizaton? Sure. But so is rationalizing waiting X months for a deal.

Again, frugality is fine. I thought the debate here was whether a high-def version of a movie is intrinsically worth more than a DVD - not a title by title thing.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 04-27-08 at 02:28 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.