Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Circuit City Blu-ray Sale - 4/20 - 4/26 - $19.99 including Blade Runner!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Circuit City Blu-ray Sale - 4/20 - 4/26 - $19.99 including Blade Runner!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-08, 11:17 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by stonewall
Well, glad to see many people are excited about paying $20 for a movie. I really hope a lot of people buy these at $20 a pop and the studios and everyone else is able to make a healthy profit. Me, I will wait for $10 or less before I really start collecting in a format that you can't watch while traveling!
HD DVDs are under $10 right now.
Blu-rays WERE under $10 nearly all of last year because of BOGOs and what not.
You missed the boat dude!
Old 04-19-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by stonewall
Well, glad to see many people are excited about paying $20 for a movie. I really hope a lot of people buy these at $20 a pop and the studios and everyone else is able to make a healthy profit. Me, I will wait for $10 or less before I really start collecting in a format that you can't watch while traveling!
Jealous much?
Old 04-20-08, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up the 5-disc "Blade Runner" a little before noon today -- it was the last copy in sight in a single dump-box dedicated to the sale... I hope they had bunches they just hadn't placed in the box yet... oh well, at least I got mine!
Old 04-20-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Blade Runner 5 disc and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

both from the cc.com site
Old 04-20-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

picked up Blade Runner as a blind buy... which cut should i watch first?

-NiCK
Old 04-20-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I hate Circuit City. Pretty much nothing in the box set aside for the Blu-Ray discs on sale, and definitely no Blade Runner.
Old 04-20-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are no Circuit City stores where I live, so I ordered "Blade Runner" from the Web site. Shipping was only $1.99, so I can't complain.

When I lived in Texas there was a Circuit City just down the road from my apartment, but I hated going in there. Way too disorganized, and the employees never seemed to know what they were doing.
Old 04-20-08, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
picked up Blade Runner as a blind buy... which cut should i watch first?

-NiCK

Does not matter. They are all boring and outdated. You might want to start with 2007 directors cut.
Old 04-20-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gondwana321
Does not matter. They are all boring and outdated. You might want to start with 2007 directors cut.
Ignoring the snotty comment, I would say start with the "final cut." Although, the theatrical cut with the much-debated voiceover narration may make the movie easier to understand the first time you watch it. The film has subtleties that are lost on the kind of people who might otherwise think it to be "boring."

Just go into the movie with the understanding that it is more of a noir/detective movie, not an action-packed shoot-em-up. Many people also find their appreciation for the movie deepens with repeated viewings.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 04-20-08 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 06:11 PM

I think with Blade Runner, it's as much about the look as it is about the story. And make no mistake, the story, based on a book by Phillip K. Dick, is a very good one. I just love discovering new things in the visuals and special effects, every time I watch it. I just picked up the blu-ray disc at Circuit City and watched the International cut with more violence first. I must say, this kind of visual mastery is what blu-ray was made for. The look is stunning. Oh, and the Madison Circuit City had one copy at 10:10 Sunday morning, so while it is right at the top of the ad, it is not something they want to be selling during this sale.
Old 04-21-08, 11:33 PM

The CC I picked this up from had only one copy when I got it too. Then again, the CCs around here seem to always have bad stock.
Old 04-22-08, 09:25 PM

Guys be careful of the Blade Runner set. The first BB i went to had two copies and the back disc was a floater in both. Two of the three copies they had at another BB had the back discs as floaters too. I picked up the one that was good. Don't want you guys getting any scratched discs out there.
Old 04-23-08, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Ignoring the snotty comment, I would say start with the "final cut." Although, the theatrical cut with the much-debated voiceover narration may make the movie easier to understand the first time you watch it. The film has subtleties that are lost on the kind of people who might otherwise think it to be "boring."

Just go into the movie with the understanding that it is more of a noir/detective movie, not an action-packed shoot-em-up. Many people also find their appreciation for the movie deepens with repeated viewings.
thanks for the tip.

i think i might go into it watching the Theatrical Version first... and then watch the Final Cut shortly after. I think i might benefit from the narration upon my first viewing of the film.

-NiCK