Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon.com HD-DVD Player Gift Card!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Amazon.com HD-DVD Player Gift Card!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-08, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I e-mailed them and got a positive response within an hour or so. I got $100 credit added to my account for the two players I bought in 2007.

Combine this with the $100 I got from BB for the two XBox 360 add-ons I flipped (along with the free box sets), and I wound up with $200 in credit from my forray into HD DVD.
Old 04-11-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I had a little trouble getting this. I sent an email, they responded by saying they couldn't find an HD DVD player purchase on my account.

So I called them, and at first the CSR had no idea what I was talking about and put me on hold. Then he came back and said it was valid, but he couldn't find a player purchase on my account. I gave him the order number, and he put me on hold again. When he came back, he told me that the player I bought wasn't part of the promotion (an HD-A2, so... yeah, no). I told him to read me the list of eligible players, and he then realized his mistake and put me on hold again to issue the GC.

Not really happy with that, but eh. I have Juno and The Lives of Others coming to me on Blu-Ray now.
Tracer, I'm sorry that you had so much trouble with them. I also bought a HD-A2, but I looked up my order history and pulled up the actual order with the order number before I called them. I just gave the CSR the required information and that was that. Quick and painless.
Old 04-11-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sent email. Got $100 within the hour. Took me 2 hours to spend it. Too many good things on Amazon.

-beebs
Old 04-11-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
I emailed them last night, had the $50 PC emailed back to me by the time I woke up. Don't know how long it took, but it was quick enough for me.

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but when you get your $50, it will come in a standard Amazon "your order xxx-xxxxxxx-xx has shipped" email IIRC (I can't access my hotmail account from work). Don't be confused by the subject line, or toss it aside, it'll look just like every other order confirmation email you've ever received from Amazon.

Also, as they're sending a Promo certificate instead of a standard GC, you can't "store" it in your Amazon account. You have to redeem it manually when you make your next purchase, and I honestly don't recall what happens if you make an order for less than the certificate's face value - I don't think Amazon makes "change", do they?
Old 04-11-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Then he came back and said it was valid, but he couldn't find a player purchase on my account. I gave him the order number, and he put me on hold again. When he came back, he told me that the player I bought wasn't part of the promotion (an HD-A2, so... yeah, no).
You had me scared there for a moment, as my HD-A2 garnered me $50, and I was worried they'd take it back.
Old 04-11-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Also, as they're sending a Promo certificate instead of a standard GC, you can't "store" it in your Amazon account. You have to redeem it manually when you make your next purchase, and I honestly don't recall what happens if you make an order for less than the certificate's face value - I don't think Amazon makes "change", do they?
After the GC code is entered into your account it is stored and can be used later. I was able to use it on 2 different orders. If you don't use it all the remaining balance should remain for your next purchase or purchases until the balance is zero. If you cancel an order the GC will go back into your account again. I would assume it would remain available until the exipiration date of the GC. Amazon does give "change" on what is not used.
Old 04-11-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Weird...but fine. I e-mailed them and asked them about the promo code (my words), and got this response:

Greetings from Amazon.com.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience you have had with this promotional certificate.

I have checked your order # 104-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxx and see that you do qualify for this promotion.

The promotional code was e-mailed to you however, it wasn't delivered.

We certainly didn't intend for this to happen. This situation was the result of a technical error, and I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience.

I have redeemed this $50.00 promotional certificate to your account.

Please note, the balance of promotional certificate funds can't be viewed in Your Account, but should be visible during the order process.

When you place your next qualifying order, on the payment section of our online order form, you should see that any eligible promotional funds have been automatically applied to your order.

Please note that any promotional funds used towards your purchase are not refunded.
I'm not sure what they meant by "The promotional code was e-mailed to you however, it wasn't delivered."

Either way, I guess it's time to "buy" some DVDs!
Old 04-11-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
After the GC code is entered into your account it is stored and can be used later. I was able to use it on 2 different orders. If you don't use it all the remaining balance should remain for your next purchase or purchases until the balance is zero. If you cancel an order the GC will go back into your account again. I would assume it would remain available until the exipiration date of the GC. Amazon does give "change" on what is not used.
Ah, but therein lies the rub. Amazon didn't send a GC, they sent a PC - a "Promotional" Certificate, which can't be redeemed until the time you place an order. I tried exactly what you recommended this morning - no dice.
Old 04-11-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ah, but therein lies the rub. Amazon didn't send a GC, they sent a PC - a "Promotional" Certificate, which can't be redeemed until the time you place an order. I tried exactly what you recommended this morning - no dice.
I received the same thing. Sorry if my terminology wasn't exact. I get into a habit of calling everything a GC at Amazon. I'll try to make it a little clearer. First I couldn't add it to an existing open order I aready had like a regular GC. I was able to use it on 2 separate new orders. Initially I added the code during checkout to activate it. However any unused balance of the promotional certificate will show up during checkout on subsequent orders until the balance is used up. At least it did for me. I even cancelled an order and the promotional certificate that was used went back into my account again.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 04-11-08 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-11-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah! Good to know - unused PC balance is converted to a GC and stored for future use. Wasn't trying to nit-pick, but the devil is in the details, dontchaknow?

I've got my eye on:
$17.95 Hot Fuzz HD DVD
$15.99 Forbidden Planet HD DVD
$15.99 Mutiny on the Bounty HD DVD
Total = $49.93
Old 04-11-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't receive an e-mail with the code, so I e-mailed Amazon customer service, saying I had heard about the $50 gift certificate for HD-DVD player purchases, but had not received one. I gave my order number and date, and thanked them for the program...

Within a few hours. I got:

====================
Greetings from Amazon.com.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulty you had while using the $50.00 promotional code.

To correct this problem, I have redeemed the $50.00 code and added the $50.00 amount to your account. The balance of promotional certificate funds can't be viewed in Your Account, but should be visible during the order process.

When you place your next qualifying order, on the payment section of our online order form, you should see that any eligible promotional funds have been automatically applied to your order.

=======================================

Sure enough, I couldn't see the Gift Certificate balance when I viewed My Account, but, when I placed items in my cart and began to check out, it was deducted.

Got ID4 blu-ray + Deep Space Nine: S5 DVD for about $14...
Old 04-11-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
I had a problem redeeming my $50 promo code, so I e-mailed Amazon, and for some reason they decided to put $100 in credit in my account.
Old 04-11-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmmm.... maybe I should "have a problem" with the Promo code too????
Old 04-11-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Hmmmm.... maybe I should "have a problem" with the Promo code too????
LOL!
I have no idea what the problem was, but it kept telling me to make sure that I typed it in correctly, while all the whole time I'd simply been cutting and pasting it into the box.
Really glad now that it didn't work actually!
Old 04-12-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I used mine for Batman Begins Limited edition giftset and There Will Be Blood 2 SE disc DVD
Old 04-12-08, 12:47 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
Weird...but fine. I e-mailed them and asked them about the promo code (my words), and got this response:

I'm not sure what they meant by "The promotional code was e-mailed to you however, it wasn't delivered."

Either way, I guess it's time to "buy" some DVDs!
Got the same e-mail after I e-mailed them. I purchased Juno Blu-ray and 30 Rock Season 1 on DVD
Old 04-12-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numes

I got a similar line from my CSR. Something to the effect of "we tried to email you, but it didn't go through". I'm assuming they mean they got a bounceback message, which seems odd, but whatever.
Old 04-14-08, 07:46 AM

I got a similar line from my CSR. Something to the effect of "we tried to email you, but it didn't go through". I'm assuming they mean they got a bounceback message, which seems odd, but whatever.
I'd guess that if they sent out a giant batch of emails at once, all talking about Amazon Giftcards, it's possible that got flagged by spam filters on receiving servers.
Luckily we have this forum! Otherwise I'd never know to as customer service for this. Thanks!
Old 04-14-08, 05:22 PM
Cool New Member

amazon

I used my gc on my order for the ultimate matrix hd and i am legend hd. I opened my matrix set and there was 2 cases showing the matrix revolutions. But 1 of them did have the right movie in it (matrix reloaded).
Old 04-15-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I finally settled on using the code for Metal Gear Solid 4. Video games are so damn expensive.
Old 04-16-08, 07:48 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Thinking about using my certificate on Wii Fit.