HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Natural Born Killers coming to Blu-ray!

Old 04-07-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Natural Born Killers coming to Blu-ray!

Spanish-language article here

Looks like Oliver Stone's controversy monger is coming to Blu-ray soon. Not much is known except for the small art graphic (and it's very cool) and the fact that this will be one of WB's "book-style" releases. A Dolby TrueHD track will be on the disc.

Permitting this is the director's cut, count me in. Warner has loosened up on its policy against unrated releases in recent years, and I can't see them giving us the theatrical cut. Once again, Warner is the studio to beat with hi-def catalog titles.
Old 04-07-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah...the memories of watching this movie drunk at the theater. I'm, especially if they have both cuts and the extras ported over from the director's cut. I think we need to see Denis Leary doing psycho in HD.
Old 04-08-08, 08:18 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

i thought Warner didn't own the Director's Cut...?
Old 04-08-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
i thought Warner didn't own the Director's Cut...?
As far as I know, that's correct -- it was originally a Vidmark release, if Amazon's listing is right, so that should put it in Lionsgate's court now.
Old 04-08-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Permitting this is the director's cut, count me in.......
There's the rub. Count me in too if it's the DC. I'll gladly upgrade my R2 PAL version for a BD of the director's cut.

Aaaaaah, to see Tommy Lee Jones's head on that stick in hi-def.........

Last edited by BuckNaked2k; 04-08-08 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-08-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good news, but I dont like its one of those book releases. I havent seen one in person though. Are they the same size as a regular case?
Old 04-08-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by stingermck
Are they the same size as a regular case?
Half-inch wider and a half inch taller.
Old 04-08-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
Good news, but I dont like its one of those book releases. I havent seen one in person though. Are they the same size as a regular case?
I'm not too happy about it either. I wish they would make the special packaging optional so we could choose. Then again, I guess if the catalog titles aren't selling well, they might as well make us pay more for them. I thought these were going to be reserved for special classic films like Gone with the Wind or The Wizard of Oz, but if NBK gets one, who knows how many they'll make?

It's probably just PR, but Stone actually claims that both versions are director's cuts because he made them. I would prefer the unrated version, but it would be even better if we could get both.
Old 04-08-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Drexl
I thought these were going to be reserved for special classic films like Gone with the Wind or The Wizard of Oz, but if NBK gets one, who knows how many they'll make?
Well, the next one's Dirty Harry, which...I'm a fan of, yeah, but they're definitely looking at more than just prestigious classics.
Old 04-08-08, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Well, the next one's Dirty Harry, which...I'm a fan of, yeah, but they're definitely looking at more than just prestigious classics.
I have ordered the DH box set. I wonder how the "half-inch wider and a half inch taller" book release will fit in the box? (Or is the book version not included in the box set -- just the DH1 disk in a regular sized BD case?)
Old 04-08-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still have the 3-laserdisc Pioneer box set. It's the most gorgeous laser box ever released (yes, even lovelier than Criterion's 5-disc 'Brazil'). The crappy packaging and non-anamorphic transfer on the old (non-WB edit) disc left me feeling like I'd rather stick with what I had.

If WB do license the rights to this from Lionsgate, I wonder if they'll get the extras (commentary track, etc.) as well.
Old 04-11-08, 09:09 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
As far as I know, that's correct -- it was originally a Vidmark release, if Amazon's listing is right, so that should put it in Lionsgate's court now.
Sounds about right. I have both the VHS and DVD of the Director's Cut. The VHS says Vidmark, and the DVD says Trimark. IIRC, the DVD doesn't have Oliver Stone's intro or the NIN "Burn" video, but the VHS doesn't have the commentary.

I'll gladly upgrade to BD if it gets released. I'll probably pass on the theatrical cut, though.
Old 04-11-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by wergo
I still have the 3-laserdisc Pioneer box set. It's the most gorgeous laser box ever released (yes, even lovelier than Criterion's 5-disc 'Brazil'). The crappy packaging and non-anamorphic transfer on the old (non-WB edit) disc left me feeling like I'd rather stick with what I had.

If WB do license the rights to this from Lionsgate, I wonder if they'll get the extras (commentary track, etc.) as well.
I think they co-own the extras or something. The extras on the Trimark Director's Cut DVD and the Warner Bros. Oliver Stone theatrical cut DVD are the same.
Old 04-11-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I think they co-own the extras or something. The extras on the Trimark Director's Cut DVD and the Warner Bros. Oliver Stone theatrical cut DVD are the same.
I think the only difference was that the Warners release had the Charlie Rose interview.

I'm in the "if it's the directors cut, count me in" camp. I really have a feeling that it won't be so I really have a feeling that I'll be passing on this.
Old 04-14-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like it is the theatrical cut only according to highdefdigest.
Old 04-15-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice. I haven't seen this since I saw the original on Laserdisc.
Old 04-15-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...n-killers.html

Theatrical version only!

No Sale Warner!