Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

TV season sets on Blu-ray question (LOST & Prison Break)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

TV season sets on Blu-ray question (LOST & Prison Break)

Old 04-04-08, 08:39 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,862
TV season sets on Blu-ray question (LOST & Prison Break)

So I missed (mostly because of interference) most of S3 of Prison Break. I saw that S1 was released on Blu-ray, but S2 has not. Is it likely that S3 will not be released without them releasing S2 first?

Also has there been any word from BVHV as to how well LOST S3 sold on Blu-ray? I heard that if it did well, they would give the previous two seasons the same treatment. I would hope they continue with S4 getting the same attention S3 got! I would really, REALLY like to own the entire series on HDM. The scenery alone is worth the purchase!
rfduncan is offline  
Old 04-04-08, 08:51 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,362
I would not count on Season 3 or 2 of Prison Break any time soon. Season 1 sold poorly when it came out.

Lost S3, however, sold OK on Blu-ray and is the best example of a show on HDM done right (followed by Heroes). There has been no news on Season 1 or 2, but I hope they come out with them as well (or at least release Season 4 day and date with the DVD).

Weeds is the only show on HDM that has had, or will have, several seasons released on Blu-ray making up the entire series (Season 1 came about a year after the DVD, Season 2 was day and date and Season 3 will follow the same lead)
Gizmo is offline  
Old 04-04-08, 08:56 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 56,832
There's a thread for Lost: S1 & 2 on Blu around here somewhere.
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 04-04-08, 09:27 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,862
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Weeds is the only show on HDM that has had, or will have, several seasons released on Blu-ray making up the entire series (Season 1 came about a year after the DVD, Season 2 was day and date and Season 3 will follow the same lead)
And thanks to the last J&R sale, I own them both after watching them through Netflix. And I will do the same once S3 comes out!

I figured the sales numbers would suck, but since I'd missed most of S3 of Prison Break, I'd hoped I could catch up for what I hope will be the show's final season starting next fall. I guess I should expect that from FOX who has seemingly been notoriously lackluster with its Blu-ray releases thus far.
rfduncan is offline  
Old 04-04-08, 01:45 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Originally Posted by rfduncan
I'd hoped I could catch up for what I hope will be the show's final season starting next fall.
If you don't ulimately go the Netflix route, Hulu has the last five episodes of S3. Frankly, that's really all you need anyway to get caught up.
Chew is offline  
Old 04-04-08, 02:01 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,862
Originally Posted by Chew
If you don't ulimately go the Netflix route, Hulu has the last five episodes of S3. Frankly, that's really all you need anyway to get caught up.
Maybe I'll have no choice if FOX doesn't rerun it over the summer. I'm not sure how "caught up" I'll get seeing as I only made it 5 episode INTO last season.
rfduncan is offline  
Old 04-04-08, 02:05 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,132
Price is what keeps most people from going the TV-on-BD route -- at least that's my view. I picked up Damages: S1 on BD when I found a used (but never opened) copy for less than $40. I couldn't have afforded it otherwise. This is why Weeds probably sells better than others.
bookcase3 is offline  
Old 04-04-08, 02:09 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Maybe I'll have no choice if FOX doesn't rerun it over the summer. I'm not sure how "caught up" I'll get seeing as I only made it 5 episode INTO last season.
If you already saw the first 5 and Hulu has the last 5: you're missing the middle three. Again, I don't think you're missing much by not seeing those 3.
Chew is offline  
Old 04-04-08, 02:30 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 56,832
Originally Posted by bookcase3
Price is what keeps most people from going the TV-on-BD route -- at least that's my view. I picked up Damages: S1 on BD when I found a used (but never opened) copy for less than $40. I couldn't have afforded it otherwise. This is why Weeds probably sells better than others.
$50 is my breaking point and most are even higher than that. I spent that on Lost and Heroes. Two shows I'm gung-ho about. No way I would spend near that on a blind buy not to mention anything higher.
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 04-04-08, 05:25 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bill Geiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly Suburbs
Posts: 12,918
I can get Prison Break BR for but $25.00 shipped through Half.com
Bill Geiger is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 01:31 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 488
Picking up these sets brand new on ebay for half of SRP is the way to go!
John*D is offline  
Old 04-05-08, 02:46 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 15,970
Originally Posted by bookcase3
Price is what keeps most people from going the TV-on-BD route -- at least that's my view. I picked up Damages: S1 on BD when I found a used (but never opened) copy for less than $40. I couldn't have afforded it otherwise. This is why Weeds probably sells better than others.
I agree with this. While it's logical that there is a premium to be charged for HD media, it probably can't go in a linear fashion. What I mean is, just because someone will pay 50% more for a movie, say, going from $20 to $30, that doesn't mean that he will pay $75 for a BD set that costs $50 on DVD. It's out of impulse buy territory then. It's easier to justify an extra $5-10 here or there on individual movies than it is to justify an extra $20-30 at once on a TV set, even though it's more content and the math works out the same. I think they're going to have to realize this and try to get the pricing down to more like $60 for that set.
Drexl is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 01:59 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,610
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
There's a thread for Lost: S1 & 2 on Blu around here somewhere.
I couldn't find the thread in the search, but wanted to bump this to ask: Any new word on the first or second seasons of "Lost" coming to Blu-Ray? I'm especially interested in the first season.
Seantn is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:51 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 11,568
Originally Posted by Seantn View Post
I couldn't find the thread in the search, but wanted to bump this to ask: Any new word on the first or second seasons of "Lost" coming to Blu-Ray? I'm especially interested in the first season.
Me too...seeing S1 in HD (Sci-Fi) for the first time the other night, I really want S1 & S2 ASAP. Hopefully we don't have to wait until the series is finished.
aktick is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 11:04 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Me too...seeing S1 in HD (Sci-Fi) for the first time the other night, I really want S1 & S2 ASAP. Hopefully we don't have to wait until the series is finished.
last i heard was that this year the blu-ray pressing lines have been fairly busy and they wanted to make sure they kept up w/ at least the current seasons (ie Season 4 to be release in December).

Seasons 1 and 2 will be put out but next year at the earliest....
JayDerek is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 12:13 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,355
Can't wait for Seasons 1 and 2. Hopefully they can deliver season 1 around April/May and season 2 around August/September. That would leave some time between those releases and the eventual release of season 5.
dsa_shea is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.