DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Best day ever for buying HD DVD's for me!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/528814-best-day-ever-buying-hd-dvds-me.html)

DanDaMan069 04-03-08 07:37 PM

Best day ever for buying HD DVD's for me!!

I hit the jackpot today for some HD DVD's! Went to my local CC and asked them to PM their website and then add the 50% off..it was a no go.. But I asked them to scan a few to see what the prices were and I got lucky with two:)

TROY-$12.50 (online price is $34..HD DVD did not have sticker)
Blade Runner 5 disc CE-$12.50

The rest were regular 50% off, I picked up 4 other movies for $12.50 ea...

Then I went to my local BB, where I have had nothing but luck! Just for the hell of it...just thought I would give it a try.... I brought in my Discovery Store printout showing the Planet Earth for $29.99-$5 discount.. I then asked them if they would price match? They brought out a corporate email and started reading through the rules..that was dated APRIL 3,2008..they let me read it. Anyways, she went to look it up and came back and said.. ok, its $29.99+$3.22 for shipping..we have to charge you shipping. So I got..

Planet Earth 4 disc set (BBC version-1080p) for $33.21!! :rock2: :rock2: :rock2: :rock2:

Just when I didnt think it could get any better, I brought out the CC ad, and showed them the 50% off sale which stated online also.. "We will look them up on their website (CC) and then give you the 50% off!" The only catch was do to their new protocol for PM..I could only PM 3 HD DVD's for today... so I got..

Superman-$10
Superman 2-$10
Superman Returns (HD DVD/DVD combo)-$12.50

Was told I could return tomorrow and do it again. I have 2 more days to have at it :chainsaw:

By far the lowest price I think anyone has paid for PE BBC version..$33.21!! I will be going back tomorrow to pick up some $7-10 HD DVD's.. 3 weeks ago I didnt have 1 HD DVD...I now have 33!

Arpeggi 04-03-08 07:45 PM

Thanks.

daddydaryl 04-03-08 07:50 PM

PE BBC is $29.99 - 10% with edge card at Movie Stop, so I beat you on that one.... :nopanic:

And from what I understand, isn't the 1080P a typo on the BBC version? They are both 1080i correct?

steelpotato 04-03-08 08:02 PM

The Superman films were cheaper in the ezydvd sale. I love boasting threads though :)

DanDaMan069 04-03-08 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by daddydaryl
PE BBC is $29.99 - 10% with edge card at Movie Stop, so I beat you on that one.... :nopanic:

And from what I understand, isn't the 1080P a typo on the BBC version? They are both 1080i correct?

Yeah, but mine is brand new..not viewed a million times;) From everything I have read...
Here is what I found..

For the video purists and enthusiasts...the BBC version is the way to go... I'll take dry brit and top-notch VQ vs Ms Weaver's subdued visuals and severed length ...
the discovery version has a 1080i/AVC MPEG-4 encode vs the BBC's superior 1080p/VC-1. One reviewer noted:
Even more troubling is that Discovery's US edition has more obvious noise and edginess. For example, during the penultimate episode "Earth's Forests," there is a breathtaking scene tracking a redwood all the way from trunk to tree-top. On the BBC/Warner encode, the image is generally solid, with no apparent jaggies. The Discovery version, however, has unfortunate jitter, and some slight pixelization is evident.
Simply put, this 1080i encode is clearly the inferior choice given the source material, and it's certainly enough to knock a full star off the Video rating for the US version. For the complete 'Planet Earth' video experience, the BBC edition remains unmatched.
But more troubling and controversial, the Discovery Channel version also excised roughly 6- to 7-minutes of material out of each episode to allow for commercial interruptions. The result is a total runtime of approximately 480 minutes for the domestic version of 'Planet Earth,' versus 530 for the unexpurgated BBC edition. thats close to an hour of prime material unenjoyed!

DanDaMan069 04-03-08 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by steelpotato
The Superman films were cheaper in the ezydvd sale. I love boasting threads though :)

you got them shipped to you for less than $10? I think not.. but nice try..

Gizmo 04-03-08 08:12 PM

Great. Thanks for starting a new thread when there is already two different ones you could posted this in.

DanDaMan069 04-03-08 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Great. Thanks for starting a new thread when there is already two different ones you could posted this in.

i didnt see another thread with "best day for HD DVD shopping".. so i made my own:)
This is a forum.. if you dont have anything positive to say, please dont take the time to reply. thanks

The Cow 04-03-08 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by DanDaMan069
if you dont have anything positive to say, please dont take the time to reply. thanks

I think not.. but nice try.. -rolleyes-

DanDaMan069 04-03-08 08:23 PM

all of you DVD legends..dont you have anything else better to do than harass new members..

[email protected] 04-03-08 08:26 PM

I hit the jackpot today for some HD DVD's! Went to my local CC and asked them to PM their website and then add the 50% off..it was a no go.. But I asked them to scan a few to see what the prices were and I got lucky with two:)

TROY-$12.50 (online price is $34..HD DVD did not have sticker)
Blade Runner 5 disc CE-$12.50

The rest were regular 50% off, I picked up 4 other movies for $12.50 ea...

Then I went to my local BB, where I have had nothing but luck! Just for the hell of it...just thought I would give it a try.... I brought in my Discovery Store printout showing the Planet Earth for $29.99-$5 discount.. I then asked them if they would price match? They brought out a corporate email and started reading through the rules..that was dated APRIL 3,2008..they let me read it. Anyways, she went to look it up and came back and said.. ok, its $29.99+$3.22 for shipping..we have to charge you shipping. So I got..

Planet Earth 4 disc set (BBC version-1080p) for $33.21!! :rock2: :rock2: :rock2: :rock2:

Just when I didnt think it could get any better, I brought out the CC ad, and showed them the 50% off sale which stated online also.. "We will look them up on their website (CC) and then give you the 50% off!" The only catch was do to their new protocol for PM..I could only PM 3 HD DVD's for today... so I got..

Superman-$10
Superman 2-$10
Superman Returns (HD DVD/DVD combo)-$12.50

Was told I could return tomorrow and do it again. I have 2 more days to have at it :chainsaw:

By far the lowest price I think anyone has paid for PE BBC version..$33.21!! I will be going back tomorrow to pick up some $7-10 HD DVD's.. 3 weeks ago I didnt have 1 HD DVD...I now have 33!

wow, and i got a good deal yesterday on betamx mvies rotfl dead formats rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steelpotato 04-03-08 08:39 PM

you got them shipped to you for less than $10? I think not.. but nice try..

Less than $10 US? Sure did - I live in NZ so they were 7.20 Australian + less than $3 shipping Australian each. Worked out to about $9 US or so.

DanDaMan069 04-03-08 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by steelpotato
Less than $10 US? Sure did - I live in NZ so they were 7.20 Australian + less than $3 shipping Australian each. Worked out to about $9 US or so.

I am happy for you that you got the same movie for a dollar cheaper..when you live on the same side of the planet as the retailer you are buying from.. wow..amazing!

DanDaMan069 04-03-08 08:42 PM

see you later kids..dont have time to play anymore, some of us actually have lives. take care...

steelpotato 04-03-08 08:44 PM

I'm happy too :)

Gizmo 04-03-08 08:46 PM

i didnt see another thread with "best day for HD DVD shopping".. so i made my own:)
This is a forum.. if you dont have anything positive to say, please dont take the time to reply. thanks

You must have gotten lucky at all the stores you went to and got the "cool manager/girlfriend with 3 vaginas and 4 tits"

monkey 04-03-08 10:06 PM

What is the point of this thread?

DanDaMan069 04-03-08 10:10 PM

to make monkeys talk..

tylergfoster 04-03-08 10:23 PM

I got a laserdisc the other day for a dollar.

DanDaMan069 04-03-08 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I got a laserdisc the other day for a dollar.

i got 2 of them for $.50-nice try!