HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Did your Best Buy dump all their HD titles?

Old 04-01-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Did your Best Buy dump all their HD titles?

Mine did.

Went in today and all of the HD titles (of which there were a crap load) are all gone from the shelves. I asked about them and was simply told, "They're gone".

Not even a fire sale?

Last edited by buckee1; 04-02-08 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-01-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine did last week. They had 30% off for a few weeks. They can't keep stock forever. They, like every other retailer, are glad the war is over and are ready to fully focus on pushing BD to the consumers. Amazon will probably have stock for quite some time.
Old 04-01-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gone from all three of mine last Tuesday. You'd never know HD DVD was ever there as the empty shelves were either spread out with BD or replaced with TV on DVD sets.
Old 04-01-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, over the last two weeks. Expanded the room for Blu-Ray.
Old 04-01-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup!
Old 04-01-08, 04:53 PM

Gone from my Best Buy too. I think the only place in town that still sells HD DVDs is Hastings. And they only have a very small selection now. It's getting to that point now where if you want to buy a movie on HD DVD, you have to go online to get it. Most of the b&m stores are no longer carrying them. I wonder how much longer it will be before they disappear from the online stores and go completely oop?
Old 04-01-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes. Old news.
Old 04-01-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep - all bye bye now.
Old 04-02-08, 01:51 AM

Nope.. my local BB still has their crap load of HD DVD's. Was told maybe this week they would send them back, but not yet.. I have PM around 25 HD DVD's fpr $9-10 at my BB, I am hoping for one more online sale to go PM and grab a basket full before they ship them off.. I can only hope right? I didnt own an HD player or HD dvd 3 weeks ago..LOL Now I have a Toshiba A-35 ($79), 25 HD DVD's($9-10ea), 2 xbox 360 HD add-ons($37, one at kmart and one at BB PM), and Planet Earth 4 disc HD DVD set($24.99 shipped) I am quite happy with what I have, but would be awesome for one more big sale..anywhere!
Old 04-02-08, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yup. Looks like it happened on Sunday as I went in the morning and heard someone asking about it.
Old 04-02-08, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep.
Old 04-02-08, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Do they get more money for sending then back rather than heavily discounting them?
Old 04-02-08, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Do they get more money for sending then back rather than heavily discounting them?
Yes...

fitprod
Old 04-02-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Went into a Best Buy yesterday and BD's were just...well...sitting there. Only, more of them--or just spread out. Should be interesting to see if they in fact sell as much as everyone hopes they will.
Old 04-02-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by L Chabert Lover
I wonder how much longer it will be before they disappear from the online stores and go completely oop?
Aren't they ALL technically out of print (except for the remaining titles to be released)? I somehow doubt any of the studios are still pressing new copies of released HD-DVD titles. That would be stupid.

Originally Posted by buckee1
I asked about them and was simply told, "Their gone".
Really? And not "Your gone" or "My gone". I guess bygones be bygones.

Last edited by rfduncan; 04-02-08 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-02-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
They might be gone now, but they sure didn't have a sale at my local stores. I'll admit I'm a little mystified on why stores like Amazon can give such excellent prices while B&M stores just recall everything rather than trying to unload the stock. Presumably Amazon has the same restrictions on unsold merchandise as well - and I doubt they'd get a better price than another store when they bought them up front - any ideas?
Old 04-02-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I couldn't afford Best Buy's prices on HD DVDs to begin with, so it's just as well that they sent them back. BDs aren't affordable there, either, but with only one hi-def media to focus on, perhaps this will allow them to more agressively price them. There have been hints that this will happen, but I have yet to see it.
Old 04-02-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
They might be gone now, but they sure didn't have a sale at my local stores. I'll admit I'm a little mystified on why stores like Amazon can give such excellent prices while B&M stores just recall everything rather than trying to unload the stock. Presumably Amazon has the same restrictions on unsold merchandise as well - and I doubt they'd get a better price than another store when they bought them up front - any ideas?
That's easy to answer. Amazon rents a warehouse. B&M's have to pay for their floor space. If the merchandise isn't moving, replace it will stuff that WILL. They get back the wholesale price of whatever they return. Cutting the prices on HD-DVD probably would give such a lower profit margin that it wasn't worth keeping in stock. I mean they aren't selling the players and are in fact refunding people who return them. Which means put more Blu-ray out there in HD-DVD's place and make a bigger profit margin!
Old 04-02-08, 09:06 AM
Suspended

Not as of last week. They had a 30% off sign next to them.
Old 04-02-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not here in Canada. But they did have a clearance sale on Universal titles that started last Friday. There were some good titles priced at $7.99, some more at $12.99, and the rest at $18.99. That's how I managed to get (through pricematch) Universal titles like Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, and Eastern Promises for just under $5. As expected, these cheap Universal titles have been cleared out of all the big stores here now.
Old 04-02-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They're all gone in the couple Best Buy locations I've checked in central Florida.
Old 04-02-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Aren't they ALL technically out of print (except for the remaining titles to be released)? I somehow doubt any of the studios are still pressing new copies of released HD-DVD titles. That would be stupid.

Really? And not "Your gone" or "My gone". I guess bygones be bygones.
Whadda ya want, I was tired, sheesh
Old 04-02-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bookcase3
I couldn't afford Best Buy's prices on HD DVDs to begin with, so it's just as well that they sent them back. BDs aren't affordable there, either, but with only one hi-def media to focus on, perhaps this will allow them to more agressively price them. There have been hints that this will happen, but I have yet to see it.
You may not recall, but DVD vs DVIX was just as much as a format war (yikes)! And DVD as a format always was in the $20-30 range at the start (hello, Criterions were that way LONG after!).

That prices will drop are an ENVITABILITY, not a hint.
Old 04-02-08, 10:57 AM
Cool New Member

I have a buddy that works at best buy and when i asked him about it, he said company wide as of march 27th, all stores were supposed to ship all
hd-dvds back to distribution and website would sell through them. so with all hope BB website will have a massive sale to get rid of them.
Old 04-02-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My real hope is that we get a massive upgrade in the number and selection of titles we stock for Blu-Ray. We only had one copy of Run Lola Run, we don't have Oldboy, we don't have lots of small-ish but still popular titles it would be great to have in the store, cause all we did was sort of lazily spread the same amount of Blu-Ray over twice as much space.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.