Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

So should I hold off on getting a PS3?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-08, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's my understanding that the PS3 is being updated at the end of this month for downloadable media...since I'm buying this mainly for Blu-Ray, is there any reason to hold off? Or is this for gamers only? Or does it not matter since this update will be a downloadable update?

Thank you.
Old 03-22-08, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still probably the best BD player available for the price. Remote kind of sucks, but overall it works quite well and you can play games if you want - mine is 90% movies. It really only lacks analog outs for sound as far as I can tell. So really, i would say go for it if you want a BD player.
Old 03-22-08, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I couldn't wait to see the movies I wanted in HD that were Blu-ray exclusive so I bought one.

I gotta tell ya...It knocked my socks off!

What an INCREDIBLE machine, INDEEDY!

Needless to say, I'm VERY happy with mine.
Old 03-22-08, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The update is a downloaded software update, not a physical hardware update. You can buy in confidence.
Old 03-22-08, 05:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too was thinking of buying the PS3 to get into Blu Ray. However, having been a supporter of HD DVD and having over 50 movies in that format, I began to seriously look at the Dual Players from Samsung and LG. When the Samsung went down to $440, I pulled the trigger and got it. I've been loving it ever since. I only mention this in cases you have any HD DVD's and to also look at what exactly you want from your BLu Ray player before getting a PS3.
Old 03-22-08, 10:25 AM
Political Exile

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
The only reason to hold off on buying a PS3 would be the possibility of a price drop around May or so which is when they traditionally lower system prices.
Old 03-22-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD
The only reason to hold off on buying a PS3 would be the possibility of a price drop around May or so which is when they traditionally lower system prices.
Due to the weak dollar and Sony's current financial state I would highly doubt a drop in price. Rumor is they are still losing money on each unit so a drop would be even worse for their bottom line which is red by billions.
Old 03-22-08, 11:55 AM

I use it mainly for movies. However, the nice thing about is that you can download lots of DEMO games for FREE. Even if you don't like games, i'm sure your friends or your kids or their kids would love to play during your get-together event. And they have future movie trailers that you can download for FREE as well instead of watching it online on your computer.

I don't have the latest audio equipment so the PS3 is good enough for me. I'll probably upgrade it 5 years from now and by then...a standalone is probably around $100.
Old 03-22-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drexl
The update is a downloaded software update, not a physical hardware update. You can buy in confidence.
Mind you have to have wireless (or wireable) Internet access to keep it up to date. Once you get it connected, it will automatically update itself to the latest firmware upgrade. Got mine for the Blu-ray component and LOVE it. The Bluetooth remote is almost an essential add-on ($19.99 on sale) though. Using the gaming controller is very tedious after a while.
Old 03-22-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
There is no better value than the PS3. It is a great Blu-ray player and unlike most of the standalones it will get frequent updates and it handles the format the way it was intended. No 2-3 minute loading screens before your movie gets to the menu and all the advanced features work correctly. It also has great picture quality with both Blu-ray and DVD.
Old 03-22-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by darkside
It also has great picture quality with both Blu-ray and DVD.
Agreed to the max. The upconversion is quite spectacularly unbelieveable. Was certainly worth replacing my old SD DVD upconvert!
Old 03-22-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Get it now, it rocks.
Old 03-22-08, 12:57 PM

The PS3 is great except for the fact it won't play PAL and isn't region free. I'm hoping someone (OPPO maybe) produces a player for people who watch DVD's. I know the PS3 does a lot of things, but as a true DVD player it's not very good if you watch more then what is found at your local Blockbuster. It's useless to me as a DVD player since I own a few hundred PAL and non R1 discs.
Old 03-22-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyray
Due to the weak dollar and Sony's current financial state I would highly doubt a drop in price. Rumor is they are still losing money on each unit so a drop would be even worse for their bottom line which is red by billions.
Not to mention they have already announced two new bundles. I doubt they will drop the price and include extras like movies or games.
Old 03-22-08, 01:20 PM

What is the best deal right now on the PS3? If any.
Old 03-22-08, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not to mention they have already announced two new bundles. I doubt they will drop the price and include extras like movies or games.
What bundles have been announced and when?
Old 03-22-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedyray
http://finance.google.com/finance?fstype=ii&q=NYSE:SNE
Old 03-22-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
The only reason to wait would be for the Metal Gear Solid bundle coming in June. I believe it'll have a bigger HD, the new rumble controller and of course, the new game. It'll be $500 though.
Old 03-22-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by splattii2
The PS3 is great except for the fact it won't play PAL and isn't region free. I'm hoping someone (OPPO maybe) produces a player for people who watch DVD's. I know the PS3 does a lot of things, but as a true DVD player it's not very good if you watch more then what is found at your local Blockbuster. It's useless to me as a DVD player since I own a few hundred PAL and non R1 discs.

I'm not sure about you, but I have more than one player anyways in my household (multi-format). I'd love to have a player that plays DVD, CDR, DVD-R/DVD+R, All-Region, BD, HD, CD, LD, VHS & DVR in on convient package.

But most just have multiple platforms.

The PS3 is a very capable system that meets many needs. I would highly Recommend the system.
Old 03-22-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Mind you have to have wireless (or wireable) Internet access to keep it up to date. Once you get it connected, it will automatically update itself to the latest firmware upgrade. Got mine for the Blu-ray component and LOVE it. The Bluetooth remote is almost an essential add-on ($19.99 on sale) though. Using the gaming controller is very tedious after a while.
Or you can use a USB flash drive for updates. That works faster for me.

Don't hold off for a price drop. I don't think they're going to drop the price just 6 months after the last drop. It may happen near the end of the year, but I'm even doubtful of that.

It may also be worth mentioning that none of the other BD players are region free with PAL capability either.
Old 03-22-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you have money on hand, buy it. If it wasn't for the PS3 my faith in Blu-ray wouldn't be as great.

I have a refurbed 20GB model, and the bigger HD isn't a major issue as I have a 500GB external hard drive that I can hook up through the USB port.

Fun note: I bought my PS3 before getting an HD-A3. Though I use the latter as my upconverter and for HD-DVDs, I was blown away with how slow it was upon first getting it because of how speedy the PS3 is.
Old 03-22-08, 07:30 PM

True fact, but i'm sure you already have an Oppo player that can do play those DVDs for you already. I already have an Oppo player that I still use 95% of the time today as I have never would use a PS3 for DVD. I would add DVD feature on the PS3 as a bonus feature. And the fact being region free is not because of the PS3, but it's the movie studio company that is making it region-code by releasing those DVDs with region-code.

Old 03-22-08, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
The only reason to wait would be for the Metal Gear Solid bundle coming in June. I believe it'll have a bigger HD, the new rumble controller and of course, the new game. It'll be $500 though.
That's news to me. I've read that it's going to be the 80G version with the possibility of the steel gray case (in Japan first, then US on 6/12/08). Also will have the dual shock 3 controller and MGS4 for $500. I have it on preorder at FYE.

There are rumors of other PS3 configurations but nothing has been officially announced.

Back on topic, I've been following the BR players for a bit now and have also concluded that the PS3 is your best bet. If you want it and don't care about the MGS bundle, get it now. Nothing's going to happen between now and the holiday season re: pricing. I'd be shocked if the price went down between now and when the MGS4 bundle comes out. I think the MGS4 bundle will be a good seller so why drop the price?

To the previous poster, what two bundles have been announced other than the MGS4?

Last edited by Bob330i; 03-22-08 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-22-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Engel07
True fact, but i'm sure you already have an Oppo player that can do play those DVDs for you already. I already have an Oppo player that I still use 95% of the time today as I have never would use a PS3 for DVD. I would add DVD feature on the PS3 as a bonus feature. And the fact being region free is not because of the PS3, but it's the movie studio company that is making it region-code by releasing those DVDs with region-code.
Uh, no.
Old 03-22-08, 08:11 PM

Yes sir. Which is why my PS3 hasn't replaced my Oppo 980, but sits proudly alongside it instead.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.