Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD - Battlestar Galactica - quality of picture question

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 03-21-08, 06:30 AM
Cool New Member

Recently I was rummaging through the used bins at FYE and came across Season 1 of Battlestrar Galactica in HD. With a combo of a coupon I had and a small gift card the price became reasonable for me to purchase it (been curious about the series anyway). I get it home and start playing it and I was very underwhelemed with the picture. Looked just like a "regular" TV feed. Fuzzy/soft for a good chunk of the first disc at least people shots, battle scenes were fine (close to what I'd consider HD quality). Second disc exhibited some of the same symptoms. Picture was definitely viewable, just disappointing from an HD perspective.

So I plug in a one of my HD movies just to check and make sure my player isn't somehow messing up. All was fine... So ok I know it's used. Is that all the problem is? Anyone else have issues with HD TV shows? I did ok on the price so I'm not overly worried about it as long as it plays all the way through. Just curious if there was any opinions about this sort of thing...
Old 03-21-08, 08:50 AM

The quality on the miniseries isn't the best, and had some lip sync issues for me. The video looks better once the actual season episodes start, although not perfect at the beginning. It's not until the 3rd disc that the quality is actually there.

Over at AVS there are some DVD/HD DVD comparison shots that do show a good amount of extra detail in the HD shots. Overall I was pleased with the set, but wished the miniseries was handled better.
Old 03-21-08, 09:44 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by trozkd
The quality on the miniseries isn't the best, and had some lip sync issues for me. The video looks better once the actual season episodes start, although not perfect at the beginning. It's not until the 3rd disc that the quality is actually there.

Over at AVS there are some DVD/HD DVD comparison shots that do show a good amount of extra detail in the HD shots. Overall I was pleased with the set, but wished the miniseries was handled better.
Ahh ok.. thats good to know. I haven't started the actual series yet (just the "mini series part). Thanks!!
Old 03-21-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The HD DVD release of "Battlestar Galactica" and its picture quality is discussed at length here.

It's a thread worth reading, because there was a problem with scratched discs when this came out. All of my discs played fine, but four discs had significant scratches, so I took part in Universal's replacement program just in case any future player I own might have issues with the scratches. (Obviously that's not going to be a problem not that no more HD DVD players are going to be made.) The replacement program was painless.

Keep in mind, Galactica is intended to be a bit grungy looking and exhibits intentional grain.
Old 03-21-08, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The HD DVD release of "Battlestar Galactica" and its picture quality is discussed at length here.

It's a thread worth reading, because there was a problem with scratched discs when this came out. All of my discs played fine, but four discs had significant scratches, so I took part in Universal's replacement program just in case any future player I own might have issues with the scratches. (Obviously that's not going to be a problem not that no more HD DVD players are going to be made.) The replacement program was painless.

Keep in mind, Galactica is intended to be a bit grungy looking and exhibits intentional grain.
This cant be said enough, especially if you have never seen BSG in HD before . If everyone watched the HD then switched over to the SD feed I think they would notice the difference and it isnt small.