Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Buy to give away free gift cards to HD DVD owners

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Best Buy to give away free gift cards to HD DVD owners

Old 03-19-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good news for Best Buy Business people (from AVS member):

I just got off the phone with Best Buy For Business and they looked up my order (placed on 11/2) and confirmed that I will be receiving an email or phone call before May 1st to find out where to send my gift card. I did not get the name of the representative, so I guess that they can play dumb, but that was the information given to me. She said it will be a $50 gift card to Best Buy and not a credit to Best Buy For Business.
Old 03-19-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice, I bought a 360 Add-On when they had the screw up with two free box sets and I am pleased I will get the $50...nice

I wish CC would do this also....I purchased another 360 HD-ON back in the day.
Old 03-19-08, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
I also bought my first XA1 from them in April 06 (without service plan), but I doubt that qualifies.
Don't count on it.

I bought my A-20 on July 29, 07 and when I called the rep told me that the way this program was explained to them, everyone who ever bought a HD layer from Best Buy was eligible for the Gift Card.

Using my Reward Zone info, she was able to find my purchase and confirm it.
I suspect that this offer could be a problem for non Reward Zone cardholders and those who paid with cash and/or no longer have their recieipt.
Old 03-19-08, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
So I bought one of the HD-DVD add-ons like along time ago. When it first came out. Wonder if I qualify.
That's what I'm wondering, as well...would make that a pretty monster deal, considering the freebies that I scored with it. My guess is that BB probably won't include the add-ons in the deal.

Hmmm, that reminds me...I still need to send in for the 5 disc lottery. Gotta get on that before the end of the month.

Edit: Well, I'll be darned. The add-on qualifies, per the web link. Cool!

Last edited by bretski; 03-19-08 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-19-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Wow, some people will find a way to be cynical and negative about anything.

Like every other business decision in the history of planet Earth. Doesn't make it evil.

This is not a trade in. It's a free gift card for making a previous purchase, which the customer does not have to return. The customer get to keep the player that the customer personally made the decision to buy, even when the customer knew the risk of the eventual outcome of the format war. In addition, the customer gets $50 free, that Best Buy was in no way obligated to give to the customer.

If you consider $50 a "small enticement,", then good for you. I, however, am very pleased by this news. Furthermore, you are in no way obligated to spend more than the $50 when you return to the store. If you do choose to spend more than $50, that is your own choice as a free-thinking individual and consumer. You do not even have to return to the store and use the $50 gift card. You can use it as a coaster. You can cut notches in it and use it as a hair comb. You can, in fact, write "Return to Sender" on the envelope in your mailbox that has the Best Buy logo in the upper left-hand corner. In fact, don't do that; instead, PM me for my address and I will be happy to have you forward it to me. It is $50, FREE, without any obligation on your part, and which the company was in no way obligated to give to its customers.

How much more than $50 do you spend? $60? Ok then, $60 out of your pocket vs. $50 giftcard + $10 out of your pocket. I'll take the latter option, thanks.

Holy moley jeez Louise, people!
MoviePage,
You're not alone.
I was making the same gripe when Circuit City extended a similar offer earlier this month...Click here. For entire thread, click here.

Anyone upset over these announcements can simply not take part in it and go back to being your miserable selves.

Last edited by Centurion; 03-19-08 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-19-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
They made money off the initial purchases, now they get to make more money from the gift cards they are handing out.
This would be true only if the GC came with a stipulation indicating a minimum purchase amount in order to use the $50GC. For example, "Must spend a minimum of $300". But this is not a coupon we're talking about.

Last edited by Centurion; 03-19-08 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-19-08, 12:35 PM

I purchased an Xbox 360 Add-On on 10/26/07 when they had their buy a HD-DVD player, get "Heroes: Season 1" and 2 HD-DVD titles free... it was also when there was glitch in their system that let those 2 free titles be ANY in the store (I got Sopranos: Season 6 - Part I & II). I sold the player and "Heroes" boxset to my friend for $180 even, and got 2 HD-DVD boxsets, 5 Free Mail-In titles, and NOW a $50 gc... all for about $15 tax. not Too Shabby!
Old 03-19-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, after selling almost all of my purchased and free HD-DVD's, and now getting $50 back from Best Buy, that makes my total investment in HD-DVD approximately $0.

I essentially got the HD-DVD player and a HD-DVD movie for free.
Old 03-19-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts
Called and they'll call me back within 2 business days.
Old 03-19-08, 01:52 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I hope this goes through. I bought the open box XA2 around the end of November for around $250, and got 3 free HD-DVD movies instantly. An extra $50 will help ease my pain of having HD-DVD die so suddenly.
Old 03-19-08, 01:53 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Interesting. Right around the time we get our Rebate checks. Good move Best Buy.
Old 03-19-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW, you can now sign in at www.myrewardzone.com .
Old 03-19-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish CC did this deal rather than the trade in one....I applaud BB for this move...yeah!
Old 03-19-08, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Called and they'll call me back within 2 business days.
Ditto. I had originally ordered online for in-store pickup, but then ended up doing 2 return/rebuys when they first offered the 2 free in store and then upped it to 3 free in-store, so I had to walk them through how I got to the last return/rebuy. But it should end up ok, as they have the receipts in their system.
Old 03-19-08, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by flix1
Well, after selling almost all of my purchased and free HD-DVD's, and now getting $50 back from Best Buy, that makes my total investment in HD-DVD approximately $0.

I essentially got the HD-DVD player and a HD-DVD movie for free.
I'm in the same boat. I've sold off most of my HD-DVDs (purchased and freebies), keeping only the player, Planet Earth, and Bourne Ultimatum. Can't be totally sure, but I might actually be making a net profit once I get the $50 from Best Buy.
Old 03-19-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
At least it's something. Best Buy is convenient but if I have time to wait I can almost always find it cheaper online. I'm sure I'll use the $50 gift card. I bought my first player, an A3 in November when the prices first started to come down. To be honest I wasn't even that concerned with that player because I got 12 free movies with it for $249, $120 of which I had in GC's already. It's the A35 I bought from Amazon in early December which cost me. That was around $370 but was well outside the price adjustment window. Had I know they were going to be less than half 60 days later I would have complained a little louder when the shoe finally dropped.
Old 03-19-08, 04:16 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bought 2 360 add-ons during the Heroes deal, and an A3 a week or two later...hoping for $150 in GCs.

I don't suppose Walmart would be so kind as to offer something for the 2 A2s I bought there?
Old 03-19-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is a good deal. I'm pretty stoked.
Old 03-19-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 361 Likes on 213 Posts
For the price I paid for my A2 ($439.99) on 12/28/06. They should be giving me back $100. I did buy a extended warranty I like to see how they will handle this when it finally breaks down. I also brought the Xbox 360 addon even though I do not have a Xbox 360 but that was on 02/25/08.
Old 03-19-08, 07:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
I posted this in the bargains thread, but I'll put it here too. I just went to https://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/ and priced out my A3. Funny, the $50 gift card is worth more than the trade in.

Trade-In Estimate

Toshiba HD-A3 Receiver
CONDITION: EXCELLENT
REMOTE CONTROL: INCLUDED
POWER CORD(S): INCLUDED
INSTRUCTION MANUAL: INCLUDED
HD DVDS INCLUDED: None
Estimated Trade-in Value:
(includes a Prepaid shipping label)
$36.00
Old 03-19-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, for folks that purchased in-store..I see major problems. I called with my receipt in hand. The guy said they aren't set up to see In-store transactions (without a rewardzone card).

To his credit, he manually entered the information, which took something like 30 minutes, but he didn't even ask for the receipt number. He gave me a confirmation number.

So what I see here is a lot of problems for people that bought in-store. I bought 2 players from Best Buy.com. I did a return/rebuy in store to get another free HD-DVD. Hopefully the one that I just picked up via in-store pickup will show up OK, but I know for a fact that in-store purchases are going to be a pain in the but.

So thanks Best Buy, but be warned if you bought in-store without a reward zone card.
Old 03-19-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah the trade in values are a joke. I thought maybe that they would be trading in movies, which would be nice...but it seems they only accept movies with a player.
Old 03-19-08, 07:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
I changed up the trade-in criteria and put in 6 movies in addition to the player and it went up from $36.00 to $54.00. So they estimate HD-DVD movie trade-in value at $3.00 per movie? Sucks any way you look at it. I can't see anyone sending their players back to Best Buy as a trade-in. And I guess I got the crappiest model, it seems to have an even lower value than the A1.

Last edited by E Unit; 03-19-08 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-19-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

tres - there seems to be predictive lowering going on with the trade in. I tried the exact same thing twice A2 with 6 movies within a span of 5 minutes and I got back $53 and $62. Makes no sense, except the computer calculates how many quotes it gets and starts reducing based on the number og quotes.
Old 03-19-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 361 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by trespoochies
I posted this in the bargains thread, but I'll put it here too. I just went to https://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/ and priced out my A3. Funny, the $50 gift card is worth more than the trade in.

Trade-In Estimate

Toshiba HD-A3 Receiver
CONDITION: EXCELLENT
REMOTE CONTROL: INCLUDED
POWER CORD(S): INCLUDED
INSTRUCTION MANUAL: INCLUDED
HD DVDS INCLUDED: None
Estimated Trade-in Value:
(includes a Prepaid shipping label)
$36.00
The A2 in same condition is $44.00. Add in 6 movies and the value is now $62. I would have to be a idiot to trade in the A2 for what I paid for it. Plus the 6 movies that is even more bs.

The A35 is worth $95 and the XA2 is worth $165.

Last edited by kahuna; 03-19-08 at 08:00 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.