HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Enchanted : The D-Files

Old 03-18-08, 08:37 PM

Enchanted : The D-Files

Ok, is this the first disc to have this? This is a great feature!

For those that do not know, its a during the movie trivia game that compares all the story parts that Enchanted "borrowed" from the classics.

Complete with video FROM the originals, and staff comments on why they did what they did with the ideas.

What a GREAT concept. It keeps score, you can save and go back later\tomorrow\whatever.

The wife and I are playing now, it is alot of fun. If there are more discs that have this, please note them here!
Old 03-18-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the sticker on the case wrapper says it's the first Disney title to feature this. I'm curious to play it, so it seems worth going through? I read the dvdtalk review and he says this is the only way to access the extras.
Old 03-21-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dugout Doug
Ok, is this the first disc to have this? This is a great feature!
I believe Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer has something similar but fails to implement it as well. It is mentioned in the review.

Frankly, I would not have purchased this title at all had it not been for this content. A reviewer in Entertainment Weekly said that that feature added like 3 hours of entertainment to the disc. Can't wait to try it myself (got the title last night)!
Old 03-21-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried it at the beginning because I thought I could watch the movie and just answer random questions on the side. Didn't know it was a full on game with the host talking the whole time, which is pretty cool. I'll have to do it for real, I thought the interview clips were culled from the other features, awesome that they're exclusive to this game.
Old 03-22-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay - this is HARD! And you don't get a 2nd chance. I'm gonna have to find the answers online and watch it again. I want to see all of the extra footage.

Are those Disney clips HD? It seems interesting to think that they've already remastered stuff like Mary Poppins... can't WAIT for that Blu-ray!
Old 03-22-08, 05:29 PM
Banned by request

You can get a second chance by skipping back using the chapter button.
Old 03-22-08, 09:54 PM
Cool New Member

The clips from Beauty and the Beast are by far the most noticable improvements over the standard dvd version. I can not wait for that movie to hit Blu ray. Clips from Aladdin looked great as well.
Old 03-22-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why they gotta mess with me like that? I want Aladdin and Beauty and the Best NOW!
Old 03-23-08, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this was cool, but one thing I don't like is that the game plays out in real time - that is, the film continues to "play" while you're watching segments and answering questions. You don't get to pick up where you left off when returning to the film.

Also, this is a minor issue I guess, but you must listen to the Dolby Digital track when playing. You don't get to use TrueHD.
Old 03-23-08, 06:43 AM

Every time I try and use this feature on "Enchanted", I get sucked back into watching the movie again. I only picked this disc up because of the review here in DVD Talk (I was unaware of the film), and am amazed at how much I like it.
Old 03-25-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by geauxwdw
The clips from Beauty and the Beast are by far the most noticable improvements over the standard dvd version. I can not wait for that movie to hit Blu ray. Clips from Aladdin looked great as well.
Welcome to the Wonderful World of we'll-release-it-whenever-we-damn-well-please-and-for-as-limited-a-time-as-we-see-fit.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the aspect ratio for films like Cinderella once they're on Blu-ray...
Old 03-25-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well they preserved the aspect ratios during the side by side comparisons on the D-Files. That's a good sign that they won't matte/cut it to 1.78.
Old 03-25-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't imagine they would alter the aspect ratios. They have always been very good about that with the animated classic, and the platinum series in particular.
Old 03-25-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
You can get a second chance by skipping back using the chapter button.
Do you get the extra features, though? I thought I skipped back to the first question after getting it wrong, and no feature popped up.

Spoiler:
I thought for sure Aladdin opened with the opening of a book

Also, when I first previewed the D-files, I thought they made a mistake with the aspect ratio, as there were bars on the sides of the picture... but I guess the initial animated part is in a different aspect ratio as the rest of the film?

Last edited by fujishig; 03-25-08 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-25-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the beginning is a different aspect ratio than the rest (its indicated on the back of the box). It's "non-anamorphic" because when Giselle falls down the well, the sides bust out, bringing us to 2.35.

As for Aladdin....
Spoiler:
It begins with the merchant, remember?
Old 03-25-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
Also, when I first previewed the D-files, I thought they made a mistake with the aspect ratio, as there were bars on the sides of the picture... but I guess the initial animated part is in a different aspect ratio as the rest of the film?
Yes. The opening is set up like a classic Disney animated film right down to the 1.85 : 1 aspect ratio. Once Giselle enters "the real world", it becomes widescreen (2.35 : 1).
Old 03-26-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

how long is the running time including the d-files game.
Old 03-26-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
how long is the running time including the d-files game.
It's apparently the same as the film. As I said, the film continues to "play" while you're answering questions and watching clips. So you don't really get to watch the film while you're playing, just certain parts.

I wonder if the game uses a secondary video stream in order to make it more responsive, and this is why the film continues to progress. Otherwise it would have to keep jumping around the disc.
Old 03-26-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gotta say... the clips from The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast from this feature in HD look AMAZING.