DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   PS3 Profile 2.0 and Audio Cable Questions (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/527494-ps3-profile-2-0-audio-cable-questions.html)

Darth Maher 03-16-08 05:57 PM

PS3 Profile 2.0 and Audio Cable Questions

Ok, so I'm reading a million different things about Playstation 3 and Blu-ray.

I just want to confirm a few things.

1. If I bought a PS3 today, will I be able to download a Profile 2.0 firmware update when it becomes available. And will it be the same as buying a player with the profile already installed? I am assuming this is all true, but I've heard from a few people that it is not confirmed that a firmware update would be 100% workable. For the record, most of you are more knowledgable than the "few people" that gave me this comflicting info. I just want to make sure.

2. Will I be able to output the audio from the PS3 to my 5.1 receiver of 4 years via coaxial or optical cable and get excellent sound? I thought I read somewhere the these cables don't have enough "bandwidth" to accomidate lossless audio.

3. Last question. Not as important. I am by no means a gamer, but was wondering if PS1 and/or PS2 games can be played on PS3?

4. Ok, real last question... Other than "it may go down in price", is there a reason that I shoudn't buy a PS3 now?

Gizmo 03-16-08 06:30 PM

Can't answer all...but...

1. Yes. PS3 will be 2.0. Sony promised it a few months back. No worries....it will be all MODELS available TODAY.

2. Don't know.

3. Here's the fun part...
60GB/20GB = 99% PS1 & PS2 BC - Both of these models are discontinued and no longer available new
80GB = 99% PS1 BC. As for the PS2, its emulated, so about 65% of the games work, but can be choppy, slow etc. This version is now discontinued, but being brought back in June packed with MGS4
40GB = 99% PS1 BC. Does not play PS2 games AT ALL. The only model currently being made. May or may not come with Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray

4. PS3 is by far the safest bet if you want to watch Blu-rays. All movies work on release date, firmware updates are prompt, discs load fast, java menus/games work.
I would personally locate a 20GB/60GB if you care about playing PS1/PS2 games.

Deftones 03-16-08 06:58 PM

2. Will I be able to output the audio from the PS3 to my 5.1 receiver of 4 years via coaxial or optical cable and get excellent sound? I thought I read somewhere the these cables don't have enough "bandwidth" to accomidate lossless audio.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1064

Darth Maher 03-16-08 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones

So, what this says is that with my current set up (HTIB with no HDMI connection, just DD and DTS 5.1), the audio won't sound any better than it already does unless I use multi channel analog? If so, I can live with that. We still live in a small apartment and won't be "cranking it up" anytime soon.

Hopefully, by the time we upgrade our living situation, HDMI 1.3 receivers will have dropped in price.

Defiant1 03-16-08 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
So, what this says is that with my current set up (HTIB with no HDMI connection, just DD and DTS 5.1), the audio won't sound any better than it already does unless I use multi channel analog? If so, I can live with that. We still live in a small apartment and won't be "cranking it up" anytime soon.

Hopefully, by the time we upgrade our living situation, HDMI 1.3 receivers will have dropped in price.

Well, any Blu-ray with a DTS-HD or DTS-MA track will result in your receiver extracting the "core" 1.5mpbs DTS track. Very few SD DVDs have this DTS track (most have 768kpbs) so these titles should sound better.

rfduncan 03-17-08 09:16 AM

However, I think coax will limit the output. You're options are thus:

AV MULTI OUT connector - 2 channel output
Digital out (optical) connector - 2 channel and 5.1 channel output
HDMI OUT connectot - 2 channel, 5.1 channel AND 7.1 channel output

*This is straight from the quick setup manual that comes with the unit.

I can also confirm th 80GB is choppy with some PS2 games. I'm playing Ratchet and Clank and there are issues. :(