DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   ID4 Blu-ray isn't the longer cut? Wonderful. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/527475-id4-blu-ray-isnt-longer-cut-wonderful.html)

Drexl 04-20-09 08:42 PM

Re: ID4 Blu-ray isn't the longer cut? Wonderful.

I'm pretty sure the Die Hard movies before LFODH are the directors' cuts. Well, they've never released any other cuts. Are you expecting them to add the deleted scenes?

I'm not sure if the extended Independence Day is considered the director's cut.

And, I didn't think Kingdom of Heaven looked bad at all. I imagine they'll do a version with the extras though, and they may re-encode it while they're at it.

AmityBoatTours 04-20-09 09:03 PM

while i would like the extended cuts, of this and some other films. there exclusion is not a reason for me not to buy after all, it was the theatrical cut that i saw in the theatre, with few exceptions the unrated and extended cuts are not any better than the theatrical versions.

noteable exceptions are of course Terminator 2,Daredevil, Aliens, Alien 3,
while it is nice to see alternate versions of some films, more often than not they do not really make the movie any more enjoyable.

for all of the titles you all mention about not having directors cuts or extended cuts and compalining, i can mention almost as many titles where the perferd theatrical cut is not included either.

dolphinboy 04-20-09 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 9399173)
^^^Good post. :up: I agree. Which is why I'm refusing to buy any Die Hard movies on Blu or ID4, or anything else where the Director's Cut has been released. Of course, even then, you're screwed. Case in point...Kingdom Of Heaven. Needs a new transfer, IMO. Glad I got it for cheap. And I don't think there's a better bitrate available overseas.

On a twist, it would be nice if we had Payback in the ORIGINAL version. :lol:

Interesting that you mentioned Payback. I also have a rule that I will never own 2 copies of a dvd. I wouldn't, say, keep the Criterion version of SOTL and have the BD. I don't need a commentary that bad.

But the only exception in a very large collection is Payback. I do own the SD original version and the BD director's cut.

Unlike most of the other examples like Die Hard and ID4 where one figures at some point they'll get around to getting it right, I just didn't think Payback (the non-director's cut) would see a BD release for a long, long time and I simply happen to like the movie.

Nick Martin 04-20-09 10:44 PM

Have any of you actually sat down and watched the extended ID4?

Do you really consider that superior to the theatrical version?

Also, no it wasn't really a "Director's cut".

Also, none of those scenes were properly mixed with the rest of the film - they're all mono, and the last added scene has temp score buried low in the mix ('Master Alarm' from "Apollo 13")

The theatrical version is far better, and is a great disc. Keep the second DVD with it and you're good to go.

WMAangel 04-21-09 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 9399173)
Which is why I'm refusing to buy any Die Hard movies on Blu

Sorry to hear that, but you are REALLY missing out on Die Hard With A Vengeance....seriously, of all the live action films I have seen, this title easily had the biggest jump in picture quality from DVD to BD.....
I can't imagine watching the awful, over edge-enhanced DVD ever again when there is a BD out there that looks about 237%* better....
(* = not a complete scientific calculation)

AmityBoatTours 04-21-09 12:38 AM

There is a reason why those scenes were cut lol

Originally Posted by Nick Martin (Post 9399420)

Also, none of those scenes were properly mixed with the rest of the film - they're all mono, and the last added scene has temp score buried low in the mix ('Master Alarm' from "Apollo 13")

The theatrical version is far better, and is a great disc. Keep the second DVD with it and you're good to go.

DVD Polizei 04-21-09 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 9399551)
Sorry to hear that, but you are REALLY missing out on Die Hard With A Vengeance....seriously, of all the live action films I have seen, this title easily had the biggest jump in picture quality from DVD to BD.....
I can't imagine watching the awful, over edge-enhanced DVD ever again when there is a BD out there that looks about 237%* better....
(* = not a complete scientific calculation)

Did they fix the retarded dubbed family-friendly cursing and delayed audio in a few scenes? Because when it comes to Blu-ray releases, I have a higher standard. The movie studios say HD is the best...so I expect the best from them. Besides, I have a ton of other Blu-ray releases I'd like to have, so it's not really an issue for me.

I may break down and buy the Die Hard series and ID4 on Blu when another Buy 10 Save 100 comes along or something, but I really suspect a double-dip on these movies.

dolphinboy 04-21-09 10:36 AM

That might be great for the studio, but not so great for me.

I don't think I got into this with the idea of spending a lot of money on new discs, so that I could get a film stripped of all its extras and without both cuts.

I also think, while it might work out, that it's not my intention to start mixing and matching my old SD with my new BD because the studio doesn't want to get it right.

Also, every dollar counts and I can get a few bucks for this title at DVDplanet and if you add that 1 disc along with others that accumulate that need trading in, it usually buys me an entire free month of new BDs (as I will get in May) from the trades.

That's a lot of reasons, in my opinion, to say no to this option and enjoying the discs that come out that do get it right.

As far as Die Hard goes, I might actually have caved for the box even with the rated version, but in the inferior transfers on 1 or 2 of the first films makes that double trouble as well.

I'm not really asking for much. I'm even willing to not be so picky all the time, but bad transfers and no features and taking away unrated or alternate cuts is simply more than I think is reasonable to ask the consumer to accept.

buckee1 04-21-09 10:56 AM

does this refer to the Japanese Blu ID4 or the domestic Blu disc?

WMAangel 04-21-09 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 9399605)
Did they fix the retarded dubbed family-friendly cursing and delayed audio in a few scenes?

What, in Die Hard With A Vengeance? I was not aware of any problems with any badly dubbed cursing in the R-rated Die Hard 3 BD (which is the one I was talking about had the major jump in picture quality from DVD to BD, not the PG-13 Die Hard 4).....

JimRochester 04-21-09 09:32 PM

Normally I agree with everyone regarding extended cuts. I have not purchased Pearl Harbor, nor Die Hard 4 because of the inferior cut of the film on BD. My original position on ID4 was the same because I always watched the extended cut. After watching the theatrical version on Blu I can honestly say it's not even a competition. The extended version adds so little, while the Blu-ray is so superior it's like a UFC champ fighting a 5th grader with a broken arm. No contest, no complaints. I would recommend to anyone to rent ID4 on Blu and do a comparison before assuming the 5 star is a superior edition. Plus like I said, keep the 5star for the xtras and if you're really in the mood for the extended cut you have it.

DVD Polizei 04-21-09 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 9400693)
What, in Die Hard With A Vengeance? I was not aware of any problems with any badly dubbed cursing in the R-rated Die Hard 3 BD (which is the one I was talking about had the major jump in picture quality from DVD to BD, not the PG-13 Die Hard 4).....

I was refering to DH4. Sorry about that. I wouldn't mind jumping on the first 3 movies, but I'd rather get them in a set. May not happen, however.

Nick Martin 04-21-09 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy (Post 9400130)
That might be great for the studio, but not so great for me.

I don't think I got into this with the idea of spending a lot of money on new discs, so that I could get a film stripped of all its extras and without both cuts.

I also think, while it might work out, that it's not my intention to start mixing and matching my old SD with my new BD because the studio doesn't want to get it right.

I don't think it was an issue of "not getting it right", it was more an issue of putting all SD extras onto a second BD. None of those extras (except the trailers which are on the BD in High Definition and surround sound - the DVD had the trailers in 2.0 mono) have any chance of being HD, and it would have severely compromised the A/V quality of the film to place those extras on the same disc. All things considering, unless they are able to 'upconvert' those SD 4:3 extras (and why would they?) then they made the right choice in not including them. Placing SD extras alone on a new BD would be a bit of a cheat and undermine the intention of Blu-ray in the first place.

Please note I am referring to the second disc of bonus features, not the added scenes.

Independence Day is one of my all-time favorite films. Has been since I first saw it opening day, to the dozen or so times afterward that summer (matinee prices for a a 15 year old were $5 back then), to the VHS, literally wearing it out before replacing it with the awesome "Widescreen Series" tape....the film's score made me a film music fan and prompted me to buy a CD player just to listen to the CD...and yes, I know full well how truly reviled the film is for most.

I mention all that only so you know where my bias is - for the film, not against.

Nick Martin 04-21-09 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 9401508)
My original position on ID4 was the same because I always watched the extended cut. After watching the theatrical version on Blu I can honestly say it's not even a competition. The extended version adds so little, while the Blu-ray is so superior it's like a UFC champ fighting a 5th grader with a broken arm. No contest, no complaints. I would recommend to anyone to rent ID4 on Blu and do a comparison before assuming the 5 star is a superior edition. Plus like I said, keep the 5star for the xtras and if you're really in the mood for the extended cut you have it.

That 5-Star collection DVD was great. I remember being so pissed because of all the conflicting release dates - June 13, 2000 was supposed to be the date, but it ended up being June 27. When I got the collector's edition (the only re-packaged version of the film to include the bonus disc) I got it because the packaging was superior and was only $12 on sale. Plus I liked that the bonus disc was re-configured to make the easter eggs normal extras, so there's no need to press codes. They just placed them under the title "Alien Surveillance" in the main menu. Nice touch. :)

If anyone is interested in finding out more about a possible re-release of the Blu-ray, the disc's creator (both DVD and BD) Van Ling has his own sub-forum on HTF. He said they'll make a new one some day, but not any time soon.

Trevor 04-22-09 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Vipper II (Post 8572307)
Not everyone buys movies from the internets; they go to places like Best Buy and Circuit City, both of which charge only a few bucks less than list price, plus tax.

I have over 100 blu-rays, most purchased at Best Buy or Toys-r-Us. They have cost me less than $800 total.

There are good deals to be found (all mine were thanks to deals found on this forum), they just take patience and a little work/luck.