DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Batman Begins BLU-RAY - 7/8/08! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/527349-batman-begins-blu-ray-7-8-08-a.html)

nmr1723 03-14-08 10:01 PM

I'll stick with my HD DVD unless the video and audio is noticeably better. No matter what some people say...the HD DVD looks great to my eyes. I just watched this again on Tuesday.

DVD Polizei 03-14-08 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuePaso
Batman Begins (HD DVD)is considered to be very soft. They've done tests on AVS with the HD DVD, transcoding it to 720p, then back up to 1080p, and there was no loss in quality. That tells you that its a subpar transfer. They've done the tests with other discs and the results were drastic.

Also, the movie aired in the Euro Sat HD Channels, and the PQ was better then the HD DVD.

Interesting. I'll have to watch Batman Begins again. I thought the transfer looked pretty good. But I did notice a few areas in it where the black levels were questionable, but I wonder if this was the film characteristics more than the quality of the transfer on HD media.

I guess I'll know for certain when I get this later this year with my Sony BDP-S550. :D

applesandrice 03-15-08 12:11 AM

Batman Begins (HD DVD)is considered to be very soft. They've done tests on AVS with the HD DVD, transcoding it to 720p, then back up to 1080p, and there was no loss in quality. That tells you that its a subpar transfer. They've done the tests with other discs and the results were drastic.

Also, the movie aired in the Euro Sat HD Channels, and the PQ was better then the HD DVD.

Interesting -- especially considering that the HD DVD scored such high PQ marks in every review I've read.

Sorry, but I just don't buy it.

Zen Peckinpah 03-15-08 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by nmr1723
I'll stick with my HD DVD unless the video and audio is noticeably better. No matter what some people say...the HD DVD looks great to my eyes. I just watched this again on Tuesday.

QFT

LivingINClip 03-15-08 04:51 AM

I'm a Batman nut, so I'll triple dip (DVD - HD DVD and now Blu Ray).

I will say however, that I think the HD DVD is way too soft.

cartman 03-15-08 02:39 PM

Hey now, I'm going to run out and rebuy it as soon as someone posts one of those 100x zooms on a still frame showing the slightest bit of dif... :lol: Dangit, I tried to get through that with a straight face!

Gizmo 03-15-08 02:53 PM

Is the HD DVD really that bad? Adam here on DVDTalk rated it 5 stars (as did MANY other websites), and I would give it a 4.5 easy. It would be great if Warner re-did all the encodes on the HD DVD exclusive titles, and this title would be the best one to do so with, but I doubt they will go through and redo all of them. Some of you are forgetting that many of the HD DVD exclusive Warner titles sold less then 2-3k each....to date. Why spend the money to redo them?

(From Adam's review)

Video: Initially slated to be among Warner's first few HD DVD releases, Batman Begins was the reason I picked up a player at launch. The six month delay was mildly frustrating, but now that I hold this disc in my hands, in no way does its 2.39:1 high-definition presentation disappoint. The transfer accentuates colors that looked comparatively flat on DVD, and considering that Batman is a creature of the night, black levels and shadow detail are appropriately robust. The grime and grittiness of this decrepit metropolis are contrasted with some stunningly beautiful photography in Iceland, and the level of fine detail in each of these varied settings is unsurpassed. There is not a single flaw or imperfection to mention, and Warner's continued ability to top itself with each successive wave of HD DVDs never ceases to amaze me.
I'll probably sell my HD DVD version for the LE, just to have match with the Blu-ray version of the new movie.

Gizmo 03-15-08 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by applesandrice
Interesting -- especially considering that the HD DVD scored such high PQ marks in every review I've read.

Sorry, but I just don't buy it.

I don't either, especially with all the 4.5/5 star reviews this title received for PQ. Ive looked through AVS for the apparent thread regarding this to no avail.

Deftones 03-15-08 04:07 PM

Guys. You are clearly missing QuePaso's point. It was released on HD-DVD, so it has to be an inferior product. :rolleyes:

Gizmo 03-15-08 06:34 PM

According to a poster on AVS....

Over on the IGN Boards we have a guy that works on Warner Bros Blu-ray releases and has already said it will be the same transfer that the HD-DVD got.

PhantomStranger 03-15-08 06:45 PM

If that is true Warner will do that on every single HD DVD release I imagine that they have already done. If any title could support a new encode it would be Batman Begins which will sell hundreds of thousands of copies over the course of its BD life. If they won't re-encode that title Warner is planning to do nothing but port over the existing HD DVD encodes for all its HD DVD exclusives. Fuck you Warner...

Gizmo 03-15-08 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
If that is true Warner will do that on every single HD DVD release I imagine that they have already done. If any title could support a new encode it would be Batman Begins which will sell hundreds of thousands of copies over the course of its BD life. If they won't re-encode that title Warner is planning to do nothing but port over the existing HD DVD encodes for all its HD DVD exclusives. Fuck you Warner...

Nearly all of Warner encodes have been great. Including older titles like Robin Hood (1938) and Forbidden Planet (1956). I'll :lol: if Batman Begins gets stuck on a BD25 disc.

candyrocket786 03-15-08 07:04 PM

I'll stick with my HD DVD unless the video and audio is noticeably better. No matter what some people say...the HD DVD looks and sounds great <s>to my eyes</s> period. I just watched this again on Tuesday.

Fixed

:D

candyrocket786 03-15-08 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by cartman
Hey now, I'm going to run out and rebuy it as soon as someone posts one of those 100x zooms on a still frame showing the slightest bit of dif... :lol: Dangit, I tried to get through that with a straight face!

rotfl

jiggawhat 03-15-08 07:14 PM

Since this was one the early releases, there wasn't much of a bar set. Now that we have Transformers, Bourne Supremacy, and others that when compared to those it looks inferior. I think it could definitely look a little better now since the tools to encode have improved exponentially.

The Cow 03-15-08 07:59 PM

Good flick. Another one I may pick up if it hits a good price point.

I went with the DVD over HD DVD initially (cheap DVD), and Netflixed the HD DVD. I didn't see a big improvement to justify the dip. I'll probably go the same route with this.

The Cow 03-15-08 08:02 PM

Oh yeah, the thing you HD DVD vs Blu-ray guys are missing (and this is REALLY getting old)....

The DVD was pretty damn good.

QuePaso 03-15-08 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Oh yeah, the thing you HD DVD vs Blu-ray guys are missing (and this is REALLY getting old)....

Sorry, a lot of us don't settle for "Good Enough".

The Cow 03-15-08 08:39 PM

Sorry, a lot of us don't settle for "Good Enough".

Not sure where you derived 'good enough'.

I do see now why everyone thinks you are a troll. Good work!

(it's not an HD DVD vs Blu-ray battle,that you seem to stay on, get over it)

Hammer99 03-15-08 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
Since this was one the early releases, there wasn't much of a bar set. Now that we have Transformers, Bourne Supremacy, and others that when compared to those it looks inferior. I think it could definitely look a little better now since the tools to encode have improved exponentially.

Exactly. Even if you don't count the best BD-50 releases, BB doesn't as good as the best of the more recent HD DVDs. And squeezing a 140 minute movie with IME and a TrueHD soundtrack (+ a bunch of SD extras) to under 30g may have been acceptable in October 2006, but standards in 2008 are much, much higher.

Gizmo 03-15-08 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer99
Exactly. Even if you don't count the best BD-50 releases, BB doesn't as good as the best of the more recent HD DVDs. And squeezing a 140 minute movie with IME and a TrueHD soundtrack (+ a bunch of SD extras) to under 30g may have been acceptable in October 2006, but standards in 2008 are much, much higher.

Instead we want a BD50 with hog heavy PCM tracks in every language every made (including Latin!) and 1/5th of the extras present on the DVD version on the Blu-ray. Thats what we need.

Hopefully Warner does go through and re-encodes all of these releases...but I don't think it will make much of a difference at all. I look forward to seeing the comparison if they do by a neutral poster, not someone thats slanted on either side.

Gizmo 03-15-08 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow

Really? I thought the DVD was OK (even upconverted on my A1 at the time), but the HD DVD was way better in terms of PQ.

jiggawhat 03-15-08 09:01 PM

Kinda of OT, but for me, I prefer MP4 encoded titles. To my eyes, it seems to deliver more consistent PQ. I think that's why I wasn't impressed with 3-10 To Yuma. I'm hoping they go that route.

jiggawhat 03-15-08 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Instead we want a BD50 with hog heavy PCM tracks in every language every made (including Latin!) and 1/5th of the extras present on the DVD version on the Blu-ray. Thats what we need.

Hopefully Warner does go through and re-encodes all of these releases...but I don't think it will make much of a difference at all. I look forward to seeing the comparison if they do by a neutral poster, not someone thats slanted on either side.

It does look like the studios are moving away from PCM lately.

Engel07 03-15-08 09:36 PM

sold 100x of the Gift Set.