Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official HD DVD Clearance Sale Thread Part 2

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official HD DVD Clearance Sale Thread Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Hmmmm. Well, the 1.3 spec does allow for higher bandwidth, but currently, you certainly do not need it. Any HDMI cable is more than sufficient to carry a 1080p signal with current audio signals.

In the future, for video signals higher than 1920x1080, a 1.3 HDMI spec might be necessary. But remember, if one device is 1.3 compatible, you'll need EVERY digital device in your HT system to carry a 1.3 signal from start to finish or you'll defeat the purpose of even having 1.3 cables.

So, currently, 1.3 cables may not be a wise purchase unless they are selling for about the same as previous HDMI cables, are better in quality, have less compatibility issues, etc.
Old 03-15-08, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Those Category 1 and Category 2 designations are pure marketing bullshit. They're the exact same cables, but only one of them was "tested" at 1080p, so they charge more for it. The other one wasn't tested. That's the only difference. Any decent HDMI cable can transmit 1080p video and up to 8 channels of uncompressed PCM. A cable that can't do that doesn't meet the HDMI specification.

Further, there is no difference between an HDMI cable and an "HDMI 1.3" cable. They're the same cable, labelled and priced differently. The HDMI 1.3 revision takes place in the transmitter and receiver chips in the electronic devices, not in the cable.
Thanks for the clarification - everything I knew about it basically came from reading around on some websites, so I must have just gotten marketing BS instead of facts :P
But, as far as monoprice, is there even much of a difference in price in Cat 2 cables? Other retailers I can see really milking that, but I never thought monoprice screwed me at all. I guess next time I can at least check and see if there are two versions, and if one is cheaper.
Old 03-16-08, 12:34 AM

so i tried my luck again, but i didnt get the "cool manager/girlfriend with 3 vaginas and 4 tits" LOL anyways, my goal tonight was the last A-30 at BB...so I asked how much for display model and was told $100 at which I laughed at and proceeded to tell them I got an A-35 that is $149 for $79...so he did some computer research and said $79..to which I still was not satisfied since this machine was only $129... needless to say he wouldnt budge because he said BB paid $81 dollars for it, so he couldnt lose money for BB by going lower than $79...he said I was lucky to get the A-35 for that price So I said ok, but how about the free movies, he said I will go get them for you...and I said I already have 300 and bourne, can I get different movies...to which he said sorry... so I kinda whispered to myself fine I will just bring them back... which he replied I have to remove the barcodes when I give them to you which means you cannot bring them back???? Long story short... I said no thanks, I will try again when someone willing to help me is working.. I already have the xbox HD add on and an A-35.. so I guess I should be happy... but I will try again in the next day or 2...if I can get it for $60 with 2 different movies...that will be my goal!!! HAHA
Old 03-16-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw an XA2 in the Magnolia section of a local Best Buy in one of the stands under a Plasma. It wasn't attached to anything, had no remote or cords, it was just sitting there with the power cord folded up and a sticky spot on the left top corner. I asked the guy how much it would be, he looked at a computer for a bit, then said he'd go talk to his supervisor. He gets back and says $499.99. I said "for an open box, no remote, now defunct HD DVD player?". He just said "yup" again. Ugh.
Old 03-16-08, 04:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by DanDaMan069
so i tried my luck again, but i didnt get the "cool manager/girlfriend with 3 vaginas and 4 tits" LOL anyways, my goal tonight was the last A-30 at BB...so I asked how much for display model and was told $100 at which I laughed at and proceeded to tell them I got an A-35 that is $149 for $79...so he did some computer research and said $79..to which I still was not satisfied since this machine was only $129... needless to say he wouldnt budge because he said BB paid $81 dollars for it, so he couldnt lose money for BB by going lower than $79...he said I was lucky to get the A-35 for that price So I said ok, but how about the free movies, he said I will go get them for you...and I said I already have 300 and bourne, can I get different movies...to which he said sorry... so I kinda whispered to myself fine I will just bring them back... which he replied I have to remove the barcodes when I give them to you which means you cannot bring them back???? Long story short... I said no thanks, I will try again when someone willing to help me is working.. I already have the xbox HD add on and an A-35.. so I guess I should be happy... but I will try again in the next day or 2...if I can get it for $60 with 2 different movies...that will be my goal!!! HAHA
Just so you know, the 300 that comes with the all the Gen 3 players has no barcode, and the Bourne has a sticker over the UPC, which is then covered in shrinkwrap. You couldn't return either even if you tried. Sorry, you won't be able to scam Best Buy, or any store at all, with those two movies.
Old 03-16-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
I hope you don't talk the way you type!

Old 03-16-08, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Just so you know, the 300 that comes with the all the Gen 3 players has no barcode, and the Bourne has a sticker over the UPC, which is then covered in shrinkwrap. You couldn't return either even if you tried. Sorry, you won't be able to scam Best Buy, or any store at all, with those two movies.
Maybe you didnt read one of my previous post GizmoDVD? When I bargained for my A-35 for $79 a few days ago, the manager went over to the regular HD DVD rack and grabbed 300 & Bourne and threw them in the box. So they both have sticker prices and UPC codes, so if I chose to I could take them back. Hell, I could even take them to a wal-mart.lol So if I go back for the A-30 and they give me 300 and Bourne without UPC's, I will keep them and take back the ones that do

Last edited by DanDaMan069; 03-16-08 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-16-08, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by clappj
I hope you don't talk the way you type!

WHAT?
Old 03-16-08, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Maybe you didnt read one of my previous post GizmoDVD?
He probably tried.
Old 03-16-08, 05:56 PM
Cool New Member

Fye

I've been checking FYE about every couple of days waiting for a big sale, I stopped in yesterday and all of their new HD DVDs were gone, 2 days ealier they were there, then the next thing you know "poof" gone, 2 full sections of them. I asked the manager where they went and he told me they were purchased as "guaranteed to sell" from their supplier and FYE was finally able to convince the supplier that it had been long enough since HD went defunct and they hadn't sold very many so they took them back. He explained that if they had put them on sale or clearance and they had sold a lot then the supplier would have claimed they were selling and would not have taken them back. So it was in their best interest to keep the prices up so they wouldn't sell well and then they could return them for full credit. This may be similar to what other places that still have them at full price are doing. I imagine anyone that purchased under the same terms will not discount them. I just wonder where they will eventually turn up.
Old 03-16-08, 05:59 PM
Cool New Member

A20 at circuit city

I was in my local CC last night and they had 3 A20s on their open box table, they were in their boxes but the UPC codes had been cut off, so I suspect they were returns. In any case they only wanted $77 each for them.
Old 03-16-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nagel2
I was in my local CC last night and they had 3 A20s on their open box table, they were in their boxes but the UPC codes had been cut off, so I suspect they were returns. In any case they only wanted $77 each for them.
With the dirt cheap prices on the hardware, I really wish I needed a spare player but I've already got one. I'm kind of pissed over what I spent for these but that's the risk when you know there's a format war going on. I just wish the software sales were as prevalant as the hardware.
Old 03-16-08, 06:36 PM
Suspended

Maybe you didnt read one of my previous post GizmoDVD? When I bargained for my A-35 for $79 a few days ago, the manager went over to the regular HD DVD rack and grabbed 300 & Bourne and threw them in the box. So they both have sticker prices and UPC codes, so if I chose to I could take them back. Hell, I could even take them to a wal-mart.lol So if I go back for the A-30 and they give me 300 and Bourne without UPC's, I will keep them and take back the ones that do
I tried to read it, really. However, what the Best Buy employee did is not something most employees will do. What he did was remove two items (MSRP of $24.99 and $34.99) and gave them to you for free. Unless he zero'ed out the price, those will show up in negative when inventory comes around.

Also, keep in mind most stores are not taking back ANY HD DVD returns without a receipt. Since all are being cleared out or sent back for credit, they will not take an additional loss. Good luck trying Wal-Mart as both 300 and Bourne are no longer being accepted for return.
Old 03-16-08, 06:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by nagel2
I hear you. I have 2 TVs, and 3 HD DVD players...yet still want an extra 1 or 2. If a great deal presents itself, I won't pass. But an A20 for $77 vs. an A30 for $79...not that great of a deal IMO.
Old 03-16-08, 07:22 PM

Also, keep in mind most stores are not taking back ANY HD DVD returns without a receipt. Since all are being cleared out or sent back for credit, they will not take an additional loss. Good luck trying Wal-Mart as both 300 and Bourne are no longer being accepted for return.
I see your point So since I already have 2 players (360 add on & A-35), but have 3 TV's, my ultimate goal is to get the last A-30 for less than $79 and have them throw in 2 different movies. That will be my selling point.. if they can hook me up with different movies other than 300 & bourne. Unless they drop the price to $50, then I could care less about the movies

I also picked up the last 2 copies of Transformers and Harry Potter- Rise of the Phoenix at my local Target for $17.99 last night. They only have about 8 HD DVD's left in that store and all others were at regular price of $24.99+

Last edited by DanDaMan069; 03-16-08 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-17-08, 10:21 AM

I thought there was a rumor that Best Buy wanted to have their HD DVD stock gone by the end of March. Well, time is running out so WTF are they still only at 30% off?!?

Although there were some decent $10 deals, there are still a lot of movies out there that haven't gone cheap enough in my opinion. We may never get a true "firesale".
Old 03-17-08, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by sbelli
I thought there was a rumor that Best Buy wanted to have their HD DVD stock gone by the end of March. Well, time is running out so WTF are they still only at 30% off?!?

Although there were some decent $10 deals, there are still a lot of movies out there that haven't gone cheap enough in my opinion. We may never get a true "firesale".

Maybe they want it all to go back to where it came from..so they can recoup their costs =/

How bestbuy manages to sell ANYTHING is beyond me... their prices always suck.
Old 03-17-08, 10:51 AM
Suspended

When a big sale comes around it will be posted. As soon as I see a great bargain I post it here, even if I'm around town I still have my iPhone with me.
Old 03-17-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i just grabbed beowulf at bestbuy for $20...thats about the only "deal" I could find there
Old 03-17-08, 11:51 AM
Suspended

Target has the same price as well, as does Amazon, randomly.
Old 03-17-08, 03:07 PM

When a big sale comes around it will be posted. As soon as I see a great bargain I post it here, even if I'm around town I still have my iPhone with me.

Thanks, Gizmo, for sharing your "finds" with the rest of us! I have "cashed-in" on your sleuthing abilities many times. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-17-08, 06:33 PM

I am checking here in Atlanta for the HD-DVD clearance that will hopefully come soon. A smart thing to do may be to list all the stores that carry them and just keep calling them everyday until the eventual liquidation sale hits.
Stores that I know of that carry HD-DVD:
Brick and morter:

Best Buy
Fry's
Circuit City (my local cc's don't have very many)
Target (small selection)
Wal Mart (small selection)

Internet:

Amazon
Deep Discount
J&R
Tower

Please mention the valid ones I didn't list and everyone just keep checking and report back as soon as the sale hits.
Old 03-17-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was in Best Buy last week for a couple $10 titles and they were pretty sparse. I really don't see a fire sale happening, at least not where you can get a quantity of decent titles for say
Old 03-17-08, 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=JimRochester]I was in Best Buy last week for a couple $10 titles and they were pretty sparse. I really don't see a fire sale happening, at least not where you can get a quantity of decent titles for say
Old 03-18-08, 01:56 AM

I won't do bussiness with Best Buy again after what I was told tonight My Best Buy still has some of the HD DVD's that are $10 online, but won't price match now since most of them are sold out online. I had The Thing, Spartacus, The Mummy, Mummy Returns, and Elizabeth. Took them to the customer service desk, asked if I could price match to what they were online. Was turned down for everyone of them. I asked if I could go and order them and do store pickup and was no because it was an online deal only. I then asked why they wouldn't price match them since it was a dead format and I had heard that they needed to get rid of them. I was told by the girl, "Look, were getting really sick of you geeks coming in here thinking you can screw us over for a deal. Were getting really sick of it that every time some posts on the net that you can do something to get a better deal that we can do it. If we had it in stock, yea will do it, but out of stock, nope. You guys need to learn that just because we won't carry HD DVD's anymore that were just not going to give them away." This is the second time that I have gotten the run around about sales deals or price matches with Best Buy. So I asked to speak to the manager, asked why if it was the same company that I couldn't get the pricematch to what was online, and why if they have to get rid of this stuff that they are putting people off. The manager gave me that the same run around about that us geeks check the net for ways to screw with them and screw Best Buy out of money. I was so pissed that I said ok fine, I'm sorry that I'm the one in the wrong here, but if you guys want to loss the bussiness to another store fine go right ahead. So I walked out, went right down to Rasputin, found all the same HD DVDs I had, plus 4 more used, and the manager priced matched them right away to bestbuy.com with no problem. I told them the run around they gave me and they all laughed saying that it made no sence if it was bestbuy.com and Best Buy is owned by the same company why they wouldn't pricematch there own stuff. PLus they were told to try to get rid of some of the new HD DVDs if they could as soon as they could.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.