DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Am I the only one that hates the clips on the side of some BD/HD cases? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/527132-am-i-only-one-hates-clips-side-some-bd-hd-cases.html)

Viper187 03-11-08 04:44 PM

Am I the only one that hates the clips on the side of some BD/HD cases?

Anyone else hate those? Anyone break them off or anything? It really annoys me that there's no standard that's followed with cases. I mean at least we're not seeing anything like those shitty snapcases Warner used to use, but I still wish everyone would use the same exact cases.

Tracer Bullet 03-11-08 04:49 PM

Open the case and push the clip down. It's beautiful.

Tolhurst 03-11-08 04:50 PM

oddly they haven't annoyed me- probably since the first two discs I bought had them.

the dual clips on some Disney SD releases annoys me beyond belief probably because I hadn't had to deal with them up until then

I'm not saying I make any sense here

DthRdrX 03-11-08 04:52 PM

The real odd thing is that most of the cases come with them in the down position anyway. It must be a packaging thing.

AOD 03-11-08 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Open the case and push the clip down. It's beautiful.

Exactly. Open the case and make like you are going to close the clip as if it was closed and keep pushing. It will lock into place inside the case.

Arthur Dent 03-11-08 05:50 PM

I had to exchange a BD today and the Wal-Mart lady couldn't even figure out how to open the case!

Mr. Salty 03-11-08 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Viper187
Anyone break them off or anything?

The beauty of the security tabs on Blu-ray and HD DVD cases is that they're designed to snap down out of the way once you've opened the case, never to bother you again.

bunkaroo 03-11-08 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Viper187
Anyone else hate those? Anyone break them off or anything? It really annoys me that there's no standard that's followed with cases. I mean at least we're not seeing anything like those shitty snapcases Warner used to use, but I still wish everyone would use the same exact cases.

You're not the only one. I tear them all off. Doesn't matter that you can push them out of the way - I just don't like them.

RoboDad 03-11-08 06:23 PM

I don't get that. If you can push it out of the way, what difference can it possibly make to your well-being?

Besides, being an OCD freak when it comes to caring for my discs, I want to make sure that the cases provide as much protection from dust as possible. Tearing the tabs off leaves a gap where dust can enter. But pushing them down inside makes for a much better "seal" when they are closed.

Viper187 03-11-08 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The beauty of the security tabs on Blu-ray and HD DVD cases is that they're designed to snap down out of the way once you've opened the case, never to bother you again.

That's great, until you find one that has a broken clip for no apparent reason. :(

Still useful though.

bunkaroo 03-11-08 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I don't get that. If you can push it out of the way, what difference can it possibly make to your well-being?

Besides, being an OCD freak when it comes to caring for my discs, I want to make sure that the cases provide as much protection from dust as possible. Tearing the tabs off leaves a gap where dust can enter. But pushing them down inside makes for a much better "seal" when they are closed.

I don't get it either. It's just kind of a ritual at this point, just like I get rid of every security tag possible.

lizard 03-11-08 07:05 PM

What I don't like is the single large locking tab used on some cases. Universal seems to use them a lot, don't know about other studios. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do about those? Haven't actually tried to tear one off.

bunkaroo 03-11-08 07:15 PM

The Uni ones tear off just fine.

Mr. Salty 03-11-08 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
What I don't like is the single large locking tab used on some cases. Universal seems to use them a lot, don't know about other studios. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do about those? Haven't actually tried to tear one off.

Have you tried what Tracer Bullet and I suggested? They're designed to lock out of the way.

Dane Marvin 03-11-08 10:25 PM

I guess I don't sit there and just open and close my cases for fun because these don't bother me at all.

shelland 03-12-08 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tolhurst
oddly they haven't annoyed me- probably since the first two discs I bought had them.

the dual clips on some Disney SD releases annoys me beyond belief probably because I hadn't had to deal with them up until then

I'm not saying I make any sense here

Honestly - I feel the exact same way. The small double clips on SD cases always bugged me. It's not that I refuse to buy movies with the clips or anything - just a minor annoyance. But the large single clip on Blu-Ray really hasn't. I'm not sure I can say why.

I hadn't noticed you could fold the clip out of the way though - will have to check that out tonight!

bookcase3 03-12-08 08:08 AM

I can't say that the clips ever bothered me, but I loved it when I discovered they fold and lock. And as someone else mentioned, tearing them off leaves a gap, which will help attract dust.

I have to confess, I love BD cases (and HD DVD, for that matter): they're tiny and compact, and there's just something more attractive about them compared to SD cases.

Doughboy 03-12-08 08:21 AM

I don't like them, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate them.

Now the sticky security seals on the cases. Those drive me nutz.

Yavin 03-12-08 09:37 AM

I actually don't mind the big security clip on the side of the cases. I find them kind of neat. I even kind of miss them when I buy a disc and the case does not have the clip.

speedyray 03-12-08 11:00 AM

Thanks- I never noticed they could be pushed down. This was a very helpful thread.

thomkai 03-12-08 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by speedyray
Thanks- I never noticed they could be pushed down. This was a very helpful thread.

QFT. I hated them until now. Knowing I can just push them inside makes it alright. Didn't think the studios were thinking this through, but it was just me all along!

beebs 03-12-08 11:53 AM

I like these. Keeps me on my toes -- not sure what I'll need to do to open a HD case.

-beebs

bunkaroo 03-12-08 01:09 PM

I think if they had never introduced those stupid two tabs cases for DVD I wouldn't have just started habitually removing the larger tabs from HD DVD and Blu-Ray.

I have seen any dust bunnies in my cases yet though. :)

kenbuzz 03-12-08 02:44 PM

Okay, I don't get what any of y'all are talking about. Yes, some of my HD's have a tab on the side that has to be opened to "unlock" the case, but I don't get the "fold it down" part of the discussion. Is that a feature that's unique to BD, or am I just not seeing how that can be done to a HD case's tab?

Pics?

BTW - I do get the SD double-tab discussion. I remove them when I open the case for the first time.

Mr. Salty 03-12-08 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Okay, I don't get what any of y'all are talking about. Yes, some of my HD's have a tab on the side that has to be opened to "unlock" the case, but I don't get the "fold it down" part of the discussion. Is that a feature that's unique to BD, or am I just not seeing how that can be done to a HD case's tab?

It's not unique to Blu-ray. The cases are made by the same company, just in different colors.

Unlock the tab and open the case. Then, with the case still open, push the tab down into the case. It'll lock in place so you can open and close the case without having to bother with the tab.