DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Watched my 1st Blue-ray DVD - Frankly I'm not impressed (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/526885-watched-my-1st-blue-ray-dvd-frankly-im-not-impressed.html)

dsa_shea 03-08-08 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
there is a BR Kubrick boxset?

It's called buying a shoebox and throwing all of the titles in there. That is the only BD Kubrick boxset I know of. I was also looking for a boxset when these titles were released and then I realized that the boxset was just for the SD versiosn.

The Cow 03-08-08 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
It's called buying a shoebox and throwing all of the titles in there. That is the only BD Kubrick boxset I know of. I was also looking for a boxset when these titles were released and then I realized that the boxset was just for the SD versiosn.

There is a HD DVD version
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...3L._SS400_.jpg

paulisme 03-08-08 10:25 PM

I have the Oppo 970, and the difference between DVDs on this unit and Blu-rays on my PS3 are night and day on my 42" plasma. Granted, I'm relatively young (28) and got LASIK surgery about 4 years ago, so my eyes are pretty good. I have friends who don't have great eyesight and they can't tell the difference in HD and upconverted DVDs, so there definitely exists a demographic of people for whom Blu-ray does nothing.

Abe. 03-08-08 10:47 PM

No Country For Old Men...

Watch it on Blu-ray, and drool.

GreenMonkey 03-09-08 12:00 AM

Well, 50" at 10ft would be borderline for me.

Our secondary display is a 37". Due to bulb problems and backorders we've been running on just it for a few months.

At about 8-10 feet from it, I surely wouldn't bother with Blu-ray / HD-DVD on it.

However, on the projected screen (will be 106" when I get everything re-setup), the difference is HUGE and I vastly prefer it. The flaws in DVD become very obvious at 106".

Bill Geiger 03-09-08 12:19 AM

From the review I just read, the upcoming I Robot is pretty close to the best Blu Ray transfer to date!

The Cow 03-09-08 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
From the review I just read, the upcoming I Robot is pretty close to the best Blu Ray transfer to date!

Link to the review?

Adam Tyner 03-09-08 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Link to the review?

This one, I'm guessing.

eXcentris 03-09-08 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
there is a BR Kubrick boxset?

My mistake, I just checked the review on our site and they are 4 individual titles (2001, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut). When he mentionned he had a bunch of Kubrick titles and he didn't like Kubrick, I just assumed it was a boxset.

pro-bassoonist 03-09-08 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Preferably, titles where the SD has been around for a while. I don't really want to re-buy titles that I've bought in SD somewhat recently.

Almodovar's Volver.

I have three different SDVD editions and the BR transfer outdoes each and everyone of them. No one talks about this release but it is absolutely fabulous. The cemetery scene in the beginning is enough of an evidence how significantly better BR is: the colors are so lush and vibrant (the BR disc also spots normal font white subs, not the R1's yellow mess).

Pro-B

The Cow 03-09-08 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

Thanks!

dharding 03-09-08 12:00 PM

My mistake, I just checked the review on our site and they are 4 individual titles (2001, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut). When he mentionned he had a bunch of Kubrick titles and he didn't like Kubrick, I just assumed it was a boxset.

Actually, it is indeed available as an import box set, exclusive to German Amazon I believe:

http://www.amazon.de/Stanley-Kubrick...5081984&sr=8-1

eXcentris 03-09-08 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by dharding
Actually, it is indeed available as an import box set, exclusive to German Amazon I believe:

That's HD-DVD :)

eXcentris 03-09-08 12:51 PM

Compared "Wall Street" last night. The SD barely looked better than VHS so even the sub-par transfer on the BR was an improvement.

Pro-B, thanks for the "Volver" recommendation. Oddly enough, this has been on my wishlist forever and I don't even own an SD version.

Another issue I have here is that I absolutely refuse to pay $30 for a movie, which roughly seems to be the price for newer titles. :mad:

"The Shining" and "The Searchers" are about $20 so I think I'll wait for the next DD sale and get those.

The Cow 03-09-08 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by dharding

And that would be the picture I added 10 posts up. (yup, HD DVD, not BD)

Sessa17 03-09-08 02:31 PM

Another issue I have here is that I absolutely refuse to pay $30 for a movie, which roughly seems to be the price for newer titles. :mad:

I just paid $20 for Run Lola Run, just came out last week & is worth every penny IMO for the sound alone, & I paid $24 for No Country for Old Men, new release, under $30.

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
have three different SDVD editions and the BR transfer outdoes each and everyone of them. No one talks about this release but it is absolutely fabulous. The cemetery scene in the beginning is enough of an evidence how significantly better BR is: the colors are so lush and vibrant

One of my absolute favorite Blus that I own. Even The Lives of Others (which in this forum I think I'm the only one that has this on Blu-Ray, I posted about it when it came out & never got a single response & it wasn't on a single person's "what are you getting" list for that week), one of my favorite films in recent years, looks significantly better on Blu-Ray. I'm honestly baffled how anyone can claim the aren't impressed, or can't see the difference in video quality b/w a blu & a SD.

The Cow 03-09-08 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I just paid $20 for Run Lola Run, just came out last week & is worth every penny IMO for the sound alone, & I paid $24 for No Country for Old Men, new release, under $30.

Just a FYI, there is a $10 off coupon floating around if you want to work a better deal on No Country for Old Men.

And the sound on the SDVD for Run Lola Run is great, I don't think he will hear much of a difference on that title.

mndtrp 03-09-08 04:41 PM

I compared the SD and Blu-ray versions of Nine Inch Nails - Beside You in Time. The difference was amazing. The picture was much clearer, the flashing lights were able to keep up, and the audio dominated the SD format.

Some movies haven't looked all that much better, but some look exponentially better. Kinda like VHS-DVD. It'll only get better from here.

pro-bassoonist 03-10-08 01:32 AM

...Even The Lives of Others (which in this forum I think I'm the only one that has this on Blu-Ray, I posted about it when it came out & never got a single response & it wasn't on a single person's "what are you getting" list for that week).

Mmm...then we somehow missed each other! I do own it and have posted about it here. :)

Ciao,
Pro-B

PopcornTreeCt 03-10-08 03:04 AM

One of my absolute favorite Blus that I own. Even The Lives of Others (which in this forum I think I'm the only one that has this on Blu-Ray, I posted about it when it came out & never got a single response & it wasn't on a single person's "what are you getting" list for that week)

:wave: Good film.

Does anyone have Infernal Affairs on Blu-ray? I do.

ThriceDamned 03-10-08 06:02 AM

Chiming in as one who has both Volver and Lives of Others on blu...heartily recommended, both as extraordinary films and as having terrific transfers that vastly outdo anything possible on DVD.

Mr. Cinema 03-10-08 08:44 AM

Most of the movies I've compared between the DVD and HD counterpart have shown a big difference in detail and color. However, there are a few that don't show much improvement in my eyes, such as the first Rocky.

Another thing that may be slowing HD upgrades is the fact that studios have near perfected how to maximize picture quality on their DVD transfers. Of note recently, I've rented The Heartbreak Kid, Rendition, Things We Lost in the Fire, and a few others on dvd and all have looked terrific upconverted.

But when you go back and watch a dvd that was mastered around 2000, it doesn't quite look as good as those mastered in 2007/2008. I'm hopeful the same will happen with BD. That things will get even better. Most titles look great now. But I know we all said the same thing for DVDs several years ago. Then when you revisit those, they don't look quite as great as before.

I may just be rambling, but I think there was a point in there someplace. Maybe not?

dsa_shea 03-10-08 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Most of the movies I've compared between the DVD and HD counterpart have shown a big difference in detail and color. However, there are a few that don't show much improvement in my eyes, such as the first Rocky.

Another thing that may be slowing HD upgrades is the fact that studios have near perfected how to maximize picture quality on their DVD transfers. Of note recently, I've rented The Heartbreak Kid, Rendition, Things We Lost in the Fire, and a few others on dvd and all have looked terrific upconverted.

But when you go back and watch a dvd that was mastered around 2000, it doesn't quite look as good as those mastered in 2007/2008. I'm hopeful the same will happen with BD. That things will get even better. Most titles look great now. But I know we all said the same thing for DVDs several years ago. Then when you revisit those, they don't look quite as great as before.

I may just be rambling, but I think there was a point in there someplace. Maybe not?

+1 I feel the same way you do. I watched a few SDs this weekend from a few years ago and they looked nowhere near as good as most of the SDs that you see nowadays. I just hope that some studios aren't putting out half assed presentations of their movies on Blu-Ray now just so they can spruce them up in 6 months to a year later and sell them as a "newly remastered super fan fuckingtastic delicious visuals edition". We already see some studios holding back on the special features so they can dangle them out there in the future and I hope that the studios are not doing this with the audio/visuals as well. Here's hoping we get some greatly improved visuals (and audio) on movies like This is Spinal tap if and when they ever hit BD.

Drexl 03-10-08 09:15 AM

Sure, but RLR is a catalog title, and NCFOM is from Disney, who price their new releases lower than any other studio. He's talking about the near $40 MSRP of new releases from every other studio but Warner.

eXcentris 03-10-08 11:26 AM

Another silly thing is the difference in prices between the US and Canada even though the CDN dollar is now at par. For example:

No Country for Old Men [Blu-ray]

Amazon.com : (34.99) 23.95
Amazon.ca : (43.99) 30.95

I am Legend [Blu-ray]

Amazon.com: (35.99) 24.95
Amazon.ca : (42.99) 29.95

Hitman [Blu-ray]

Amazon.com: (39.98) 27.95
Amazon.ca : (49.98) 32.95

What's even sillier is that if I buy from Amazon.com, my order gets filled and shipped from Canada. I don't get free shipping from Amazon.com but then again, I don't pay taxes so these cancel out. So I save 5-6 dollars per disc. I don't have a clue how Amazon.ca makes money... Probably from people who don't bother shopping around.

And here's an exception, (almost) exact same MSRP and price... Go figure...

3:10 to Yuma [Blu-ray]

Amazon.com: (39.99) 26.95
Amazon.ca : (39.95) 26.95