DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Am I risking overheating my A3? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/526874-am-i-risking-overheating-my-a3.html)

Yavin 03-07-08 02:04 PM

Am I risking overheating my A3?

Ok, since I haven't got a backup HD DVD player, I'm now paranoid about making my existing HD-A3 last as long as it can. My main concern with how I've got it set up is overheating.

Due to the limited space I have in my entertainment unit, I needed to move the shelf I have the A3 on upward, to accomodate the PS3 (which generates a lot of heat) on the shelf below it. As a result, I have about 3 inches of space to either side of the A3, probably 2.5 to 3 inches behind it, and maybe 1.5 inches above it. The front of the shelf is open and the back is only about 1/3 open (on the right side).

I haven't had much chance to use my A3 in this configuration since I've gotten my PS3, but I'm just concerned that the spatial configuration around the unit might result in overheating. I've never bothered to check how hot the unit might get when running. Anyone care to share their insight?

BMAG 03-07-08 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin
Ok, since I haven't got a backup HD DVD player, I'm now paranoid about making my existing HD-A3 last as long as it can. My main concern with how I've got it set up is overheating.

Due to the limited space I have in my entertainment unit, I needed to move the shelf I have the A3 on upward, to accomodate the PS3 (which generates a lot of heat) on the shelf below it. As a result, I have about 3 inches of space to either side of the A3, probably 2.5 to 3 inches behind it, and maybe 1.5 inches above it. The front of the shelf is open and the back is only about 1/3 open (on the right side).

I haven't had much chance to use my A3 in this configuration since I've gotten my PS3, but I'm just concerned that the spatial configuration around the unit might result in overheating. I've never bothered to check how hot the unit might get when running. Anyone care to share their insight?

Heat rises -- put the PS3 on the shelf ABOVE the HD-A3.

GreenMonkey 03-07-08 02:26 PM

Sounds OK to me.

In my new rack configuration, I stacked the PS3 on top of my XA2. It's an open rack but I worry about both being on at the same time.

I told my wife "do not leave both on!!!". I came home and found both of them on. My wife said my 2yr old did it...she does love to climb and hit those buttons.

Yavin 03-07-08 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by BMAG
Heat rises -- put the PS3 on the shelf ABOVE the HD-A3.

My main concern was the heat given off by the A3 when it is in use and whether the limited space I have around the unit would be limiting the air circulation too much. I never have both the A3 and the PS3 on at the same time, and I think I have somewhere in the range of 10-15 inches of space above the PS3 (!). Should I still be concerned about the heat from PS3? :(

The reason why I put the PS3 on the lower shelf was because that one is actually built into the frame of the entertainment unit, whereas the upper shelf is resting on shelf supports, and the PS3 is one heavy sucker.