Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray sticky covers is it just me? How do you take the stickers off!

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 03-04-08, 09:16 PM

Am I the only one that has trouble with having sticky residue on my blu-ray cases? It happens every damn time I get one, I take off the plastic and then what I have come to fear... removing the labels that go on the top,bottom, and side of it that keep it sealed. No matter what I've done, I always end up with at least one side of the blu-ray case that has sticky residue from peeling them off. The only thing that I found to not get the residue is ripping it off really fast which I can't do all the time. I'm used to the regular dvds where I would cut the labels along the crease in the middle of the side (where they snap together) and then peel it off easily. Now it's also much harder to make that cut, and when I do, it does nothing to reduce the chance of getting residue, only helps me get to the residue layer faster.

So i keep a bottle of nail polish remover close by whenever I get a blu ray to get rid of the glue like residue. Anyone else have this problem? How exactly do you take your stickers off if you dont have residue?

(I've got my blu-rays from amazon, best buy, wal-mart, CC, and FYE all had the same problem, so I don't think it's where I bought it)
Old 03-04-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends on the studios...some of them are really sticky (I remember my House of 100 corpses or Devils Rejects being extra sticky).
Old 03-04-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, I must be buying from the best studios ever because Blu-ray stickers are waaaaayyyyyyyyy easier to take off than the ones I used to get on SD discs. And there are less of them!
Old 03-04-08, 10:00 PM

Some of the Blu-ray stickers I had were so sticky that I ripped the entire plastic cover off the blu-ray. I did this 3 times already.
Old 03-04-08, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by The_Cube
Some of the Blu-ray stickers I had were so sticky that I ripped the entire plastic cover off the blu-ray. I did this 3 times already.
lol, I was scared I was going to do that to one so took the disc out and put the case in the freezer and it came off fine. The movies I had the worst problems with were ; War, Lord Of War, Saw IV, Rambo, and the Patriot. Most of which were Lionsgate and my Rambo and Saw IV were really bad where every sticker had residue. There were 2 that were really easy to take off but these Lionsgates are killing my cases, when I go to take one out like 2 more come off the shelf with it.
Old 03-04-08, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

Goo Gone.

Old 03-05-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, some of them are tough to take off. I use the label I took off sticky-side to residue over and over until the residue comes off on the label. It can take 5 minutes to do it.

I don't care to use Goo Gone because it leaves a slightly oily feel to the plastic.
Old 03-05-08, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by rkndkn
Yeah, some of them are tough to take off. I use the label I took off sticky-side to residue over and over until the residue comes off on the label. It can take 5 minutes to do it.

I don't care to use Goo Gone because it leaves a slightly oily feel to the plastic.

To solve this problem, I ordered a box of 100 Blu-ray cases (with logo) for 40 cents each plus shipping. I got stressed-out dealing repeatedly with the sticky residue. Now I just throw those discs away in the recylable garbage can.
Old 03-05-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I randomly get this problem on DVD's and Blu-Ray's.

Usually I use tape to get off the residue. Sticking the tape to the residue and quickly pulling it off (x repeat/holding both sides of the tape) usually works. If I find that regular Scotch tape isn't working, duct tape or shipping/packing tape works well.

Goo Gone is always my last resort, only because sometimes it smears the residue all over the case.
Old 03-05-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had a couple of the labels peel off the silver Blu-ray logo on the case! I don't use goo gone because it make the plastic cloudy, and I'm a Virgo.

My biggest pet peeve with BDs, however, are those black square security stickers they place inside. They seem unnecessary since they always have the thin plastic security tabs, also. And these square ones are a bitch to get off most of the time. Do they really need to double their security efforts on these? It's annying.
Old 03-05-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
Goo Gone.

Yep. Lion's Gate seems to be a main offender with their stickers here.
Old 03-05-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had problems with the first batch I had gotten over the summer - I think from Best Buy. But since then, they've come off easily.
Old 03-05-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Normally the best bet to get stickers off more easily / complete / with less residue is to use a hair dryer. Heat up the stickers before you peel them off. Used this all the time on PS1/PS2/etc games with stickers and on oldschool cartridges to get stickers off. Also generally use it to get the USED stickers off cardboard DVD boxes when I order SEs and such from wherehouse.com
Old 03-05-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Wow, I must be buying from the best studios ever because Blu-ray stickers are waaaaayyyyyyyyy easier to take off than the ones I used to get on SD discs. And there are less of them!
Same here. The majority of my BD collection is Disney so whatever they are doing, they're doing it right.
Old 03-05-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Same here. The majority of my BD collection is Disney so whatever they are doing, they're doing it right.
But all my Disney BDs have those big, black security stickers inside, which can be a royal pain to get off.
Old 03-05-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sony used to use 3 stickers with sticky glue. But paidgeek got enough feedback from AVS and blu-ray.com that caused them to switch to less sticky glue and only 1 sticker on top. I wish LionsGate would do the same. They're the worst.
Old 03-05-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bookcase3
But all my Disney BDs have those big, black security stickers inside, which can be a royal pain to get off.
Those never leave residue for me.
Old 03-05-08, 11:01 AM

Use a hair dryer to heat up/loosen the sticker and the glue. It will come off much easier.
Old 03-05-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could also use a dull knife or something with a hard edge and a can of computer screen cleaner. You spray the sticky goo until it freezes then scrape it off with your hard edged implement. I have not actually tried it myself, but I read about it in a magazine. Worth a shot, it is supposed to work really well getting messes off of clothes too.
Old 03-05-08, 01:21 PM

My copy of "The Devil's Rejects" (Lionsgate) had it's Blu-ray silver logo stripped off of the case when I removed the label... pretty lame!
Old 03-05-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't count how many times I've struggled with the Blu-ray sticky problem.

I use a tiny amount of good ol' Mineral Spirits on a Q-tip.

(MUCHO Cheaper than GG. About $3 for a gallon at a hardware store.)

-THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 03-05-08 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Strangely enough, I've never had this problem with any of the 10 Blu-rays I've purchased, except for the last one I opened, which was Hellboy. The security stickers on the top and sides left some residue that I could not remove despite my usual approach of just taking the removed security sticker and continually applying and removing it from the area of the residue. I finally gave up after a while and resolved to just living with it. I also noticed it left some residue on the silver Blu-ray logo at the top of the case but decided not to try to remove it for fear of dislodging the logo from the case.
Old 03-06-08, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ianscloset
My copy of "The Devil's Rejects" (Lionsgate) had it's Blu-ray silver logo stripped off of the case when I removed the label... pretty lame!
Haha i almost bought this tonight, but remember reading this. For those of you using a blow dryer, isn't it bad for the disc and doesn't it make it worse? My freezer method worked twice so far, so I might be doing that.
Old 03-06-08, 10:10 AM

Lions gate releases are a bitch because they've got stickers on all sides...first blood and 3:10 are sticky and a pain in the ass.
Old 03-06-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Same for me. I've never had a problem with a BR disc sticker but I would say 1 out of every 5-7 Standard DVD's leaves sticker residue.

I just use the sticker take the residue off. It almost always comes off by applying the sticker back on the box and quickly tearing it off. I do this several times to the area with residue and it usually takes care of the problem.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.