DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Circuit City to close out HD-DVD products by the end of March (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/526634-circuit-city-close-out-hd-dvd-products-end-march.html)

matome 03-04-08 10:26 AM

Circuit City to close out HD-DVD products by the end of March

Maybe some good deals coming from Circuit City soon, if they don't send everything back. Their prices are still pretty crappy right now.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6537673.html

Circuit City discounts HD DVD for quick inventory sell-off
Also cuts price of Toshiba players
By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 3/3/2008

MARCH 3 | Circuit City is closing out its HD DVD stock and expects to be rid of the products within the month.

The chain is eager to start offering consumers Blu-ray Disc as the one choice for high-definition, believing that the end of format war should encourage mass customer adoption, spokesman Jim Babb said.

In one deal, valid between March 2 and March 8, Circuit City shoppers can purchase three $29.99-priced HD DVDs and get two HD DVD titles for free. Featured sale discs include Universal Studios Home Entertainment’s The Bourne Ultimatum and Knocked Up and Paramount Home Entertainment’s Transformers and Mission Impossible: III.

Additionally, at the chain’s Web site, Toshiba’s HD-A30 player is being advertised for $129, representing a $70 chop from already reduced pricing in January.

Shortly after Toshiba announced it was dropping support for HD DVD, the manufacturer started helping retailers sell off players with price credits. These cuts followed Toshiba’s widespread sales earlier in the year in an attempt to boost HD DVD following Warner Home Video’s exit from the format.

“We are in clearance mode, and we expect to go through the remaining inventory in the next few weeks,” said Babb. “We’ve said all along that it would have been better for consumers and retailers if we had started with one format. Now, the end of the format conflict will mean people can invest with a lot more confidence in gear that they know will be useful for years to come.”

Babb noted that Toshiba HD DVD players are still worthwhile products because of their ability to upconvert standard-definition DVDs to near high-def quality.

“The way they are priced makes them pretty attractive, and it upconverts your DVDs,” said Babb. “That makes them still an option for people.”

He didn’t specify whether the disappearance of HD DVD will necessarily grant Blu-ray wider berth on shelves. Yet Circuit City is hopeful that Blu-ray will catch on with mainstream customers.

“We certainly recognize that the future in this is Blu-ray,” said Babb.

candyrocket786 03-04-08 10:30 AM

In one deal, valid between March 2 and March 8, Circuit City shoppers can purchase three $29.99-priced HD DVDs and get two HD DVD titles for free. Featured sale discs include Universal Studios Home Entertainment’s The Bourne Ultimatum and Knocked Up and Paramount Home Entertainment’s Transformers and Mission Impossible: III.
Hardly a deal... :lol:

Hopefully, we'll get something a little better from CC, otherwise my money is going to Amazon.

matome 03-04-08 10:34 AM

Yeah, not sure why the B&M's are so slow to get with the new pricing.

cajun_junky 03-04-08 10:35 AM

Might be a good time to pickup a player for quality upconverting of existing sd dvds if they drop low enough.

Seven%Solution 03-04-08 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by matome
Yeah, not sure why the B&M's are so slow to get with the new pricing.

Probably because CC uses a computer system made popular in 1982, and it takes nearly three weeks (or longer) for all that information to TRAVEL ACROSS America, one coast to the other.

Just an idea. -smile-

lordzeppelin 03-04-08 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by cajun_junky
Might be a good time to pickup a player for quality upconverting of existing sd dvds if they drop low enough.

If you have walmarts near you, they've been clearing out the HD-A2, if they have one...I've seen them as low as $65, high as $76

Qui Gon Jim 03-04-08 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Seven%Solution
Probably because CC uses a computer system made popular in 1982, and it takes nearly three weeks (or longer) for all that information to TRAVEL ACROSS America, one coast to the other.

Just an idea. -smile-

:lol:

tylergfoster 03-04-08 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Seven%Solution

Just an idea. -smile-

I was in a Circuit City a few months ago and the clerk was like "I was watching a movie from like 1982 a few days ago and the guy in the movie was using the same computer as this one."

True_Story1011 03-04-08 06:04 PM

I would really like to see a sale on titles... I have a slew of movies hidden in the local store! :lol:

DVD Polizei 03-04-08 07:22 PM

We are in clearance mode

I'd hate to see what a sale is at Circuit City. Retailers better get it together because many of us will have already purchased our wanted titles and we will only have a few more to get, leaving procrastinating stores with a bunch of plastic.

Michael Corvin 03-04-08 07:31 PM

Wow. 5 movies for $90! Sign me up! That's a steal! :lol:

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
I would really like to see a sale on titles... I have a slew of movies hidden in the local store! :lol:

I wouldn't count on them all being there. WM and Target both have plain clothes security shopping all the time along with the plethora of cameras. Of course that is if you were referring to one of those chains. :)

DVD Polizei 03-04-08 07:50 PM

Not to mention if you see a weird dude looking behind Legos boxes and opening Coleman coolers...that's me.

Just smile and pretend you didn't see me. K, thanks.

moviewizguy 03-04-08 08:36 PM

OMFG!!! If they actually want to sell HD DVDS, make it a GREAT DEAL! How long do they want to wait?! Just get each HD DVDs to be $9.99 already AND get them BOGO FREE!!!!!!

DVD Polizei 03-04-08 08:39 PM

Circuit City Announcement:

You can shoplift HD DVDs between the hours of 10am and 12 noon. If stopped by security, grab an HD DVD title from underneath your clothes, raise it over your head, and say, "It's an HD DVD disc, yah moran!"

You will not be pursued. Have a nice day.

Gizmo 03-04-08 09:41 PM

Dear Circuit City,

I will buy HD DVDs from you. $10. Do it. I'll see you there.

kbjorn 03-04-08 10:21 PM

Dear Circuit City,

I will buy Blu Rays from you. $10. Do it. I'll see you there.

kenbuzz 03-04-08 11:10 PM

Dear Circuit City,

I will by Blu Ray Players from you. $10. Do it. I'll see you there.

QuePaso 03-04-08 11:24 PM

Dear Circuit City,

I will buy Blu Ray T-Shirts from you. $10. Do it. I'll see you there.