DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   any news on Armageddon blu-ray? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/526548-any-news-armageddon-blu-ray.html)

hapgilmore 03-03-08 01:52 PM

any news on Armageddon blu-ray?

I sold my crappy non-anamorphic dvd in anticipation for this. Since Con Air and The Rock are both out, I figure it can't be too long before this gets released right??

Overpar 03-03-08 02:11 PM

Hopefully, not.

Giles 03-03-08 02:14 PM

now if the uncompressed PCM tracks sounds identical to the DTS laserdisc I own... sold!

Bluelitespecial 03-03-08 02:15 PM

Since Con-Air, The Rock, and Crimson Tide all have had Blu-ray releases, you have to think this will happen. I don't know if I would buy it again, but I hope it gets a good transfer, and ports over all of the Criterion extras.

Giles 03-03-08 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Since Con-Air, The Rock, and Crimson Tide all have had Blu-ray releases, you have to think this will happen. I don't know if I would buy it again, but I hope it gets a good transfer, and ports over all of the Criterion extras.

in theory that would include the film being the extended cut.

Skoobooz 03-03-08 02:34 PM

There was some interview with Michael Bay recently where he indicated that the negative had been damaged in a fire, or something (ironically enough), so while it's coming eventually, it will still need more work. I believe there's a link to that interview via The Digital Bits.

Skoobooz 03-03-08 02:45 PM

Here's that article: http://www.homemediamagazine.com/new...ticle_ID=12086

Giles 03-03-08 02:55 PM

well in that case, remaster/remix the sound to 7.1

:D

Zen Peckinpah 03-03-08 08:58 PM

Given that Disney crammed all the Criterion goodies onto The Rock, there's a good chance this will receive similar treatment.

hauntnut 03-03-08 10:33 PM

Considering that "Armageddon" never received an anamorphic release on the DVD format, I think it's a safe bet that a new Blu-Ray transfer will blow any previous release out of the water.

Drexl 03-03-08 11:53 PM

It probably shouldn't take too long. They've generally been reluctant to put out their Miramax titles, instead focusing on their Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures titles that fit the young male demographic.

Then again, they haven't released many catalog titles, period, so who knows?

argh923 03-04-08 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Overpar
Hopefully, not.

Yeah, because only films that you enjoy should be on Blu-Ray. Of course.

REL77 03-04-08 08:36 AM

Being the Michael Bay love I am, i would buy this in a heart beat..

collven 03-04-08 01:29 PM

I hope so too. The gag reel on the Criterion version is one of my favorite DVD extras of all time.

Gerry P. 03-06-08 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
There was some interview with Michael Bay recently where he indicated that the negative had been damaged in a fire, or something (ironically enough), so while it's coming eventually, it will still need more work. I believe there's a link to that interview via The Digital Bits.

The article says the master was lost in a fire. They will need to make a new master from the camera negative.

Yocke 03-06-08 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by hauntnut
Considering that "Armageddon" never received an anamorphic release on the DVD format, I think it's a safe bet that a new Blu-Ray transfer will blow any previous release out of the water.

Sure it did. Just not in the US.

Bluelitespecial 03-06-08 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by collven
I hope so too. The gag reel on the Criterion version is one of my favorite DVD extras of all time.

I would hope Disney would have the balls to port it over, and yes it is one of the greatest dvd extras of all time.

klaytis 06-07-09 06:40 PM

Re: any news on Armageddon blu-ray?

Originally Posted by Skoobooz (Post 8541733)

So it's been over a year and still nothing...I guess this isn't among the top of Bay's to do list.

indiephantom 06-07-09 07:12 PM

The Bay films I most want on BD now are The Island and Bad Boys 2.

tylergfoster 06-07-09 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by klaytis (Post 9491113)
So it's been over a year and still nothing...I guess this isn't among the top of Bay's to do list.

You may want to let the guy finish working on the biggest movie of the summer first.

TheBigDave 06-07-09 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by indiephantom (Post 9491146)
The Bay films I most want on BD now are The Island and Bad Boys 2.

The Island is available in the UK on region free blu-ray. It's only 9.98 at AmazonUK (+S&H).

Here's a review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...82&show=review

Robert 06-07-09 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 9491258)
The Island is available in the UK on region free blu-ray. It's only 9.98 at AmazonUK (+S&H).

Here's a review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...82&show=review

If it had Bay's commentary and the awesome theatrical trailer, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

AmityBoatTours 06-07-09 11:26 PM

I personally would perfer,to hold out for criterion to release this on bluray.
Iam afraid with buena vista we would just get the movie and trailers for other movies

emachine12 06-07-09 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by collven (Post 8544009)

Buena Vista/Disney produced and provided most of the extras for the Criterion releases including Armageddon. There are some materials that were provided by the filmmakers themselves like the gag reel for Armageddon.

The Region 2 UK special edition release for Armageddon is nearly the same as the US Criterion release except its anamorphic and does not have the gag reel. So there is the safe assumption that most of the extras will be on the eventual Blu-ray Disc but will be missing that gag reel.

riotinmyskull 01-16-10 03:54 PM

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4038

Home cinema site The HD Room has gotten hold of cover art for the Blu-ray editions of two movies belonging to the Disney/Buena Vista catalog: 'Armageddon' and 'Tombstone'. Although that does not necessarily mean that either of these titles will be announced soon on Blu-ray, it is a good sign. No other edition details are known at this time.