DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   No Audio from PS3 via HDMI..help please (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/526435-no-audio-ps3-via-hdmi-help-please.html)

drugme 03-01-08 08:46 PM

No Audio from PS3 via HDMI..help please

Needed some serious help. I have racked my brain trying to figure this out. Connections as follows.

1. ps3 via hdmi to onkyo tx-sr803.
2. hdmi from onkyo to hd tv.

So here is the problem. I am getting picture but no audio. When I go into Audio setting in ps3 and change audio output to hdmi...it tells me "this hdmi device canont be use for audio output". What am i doing wrong. I have set my receiver to the correct parameters, setting both the video and audio to its corresponding inputs/outputs.

Am I missing something.

One other thing. My whole gear setup was working last night but when I went to swap out to my universal dvd player the audio went kaput!! Temporarily manually swapping out til i get a hdmi switcher. (my onkyo had 2 hdmi inputs but 1 got busted some how)

Thanks DVDtalkers

RockyMtnBri 03-01-08 09:16 PM

I had a similar problem with my PS3 and my Sony receiver - have you reconnected your cables with the equipment off? I had to disconnect the cable on both ends completely, then I reconnected the cable to the PS3 first, then to the receiver. Turn on the PS3 first, then the receiver.

drugme 03-01-08 10:26 PM

RockyMtnbri

I did as you suggested twice and nada. Still gettin no audio and with the same message "this hdmi device cannot..."

any other suggestions.

thanks

Engel07 03-02-08 01:14 AM

Have you tried to eliminate the receiver as the problem by connecting the PS3 straight to the HDTV via HDMI? Also try to use a different audio such as optical from the receiver to the PS3 instead of the HDMI - make sure you change the setting in the PS3.

Dane Marvin 03-02-08 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Engel07
Have you tried to eliminate the receiver as the problem by connecting the PS3 straight to the HDTV via HDMI? Also try to use a different audio such as optical from the receiver to the PS3 instead of the HDMI - make sure you change the setting in the PS3.

Definitely try that. That will be a good indicator of whether or not there is a problem with your HDMI cable.

TGM 03-02-08 05:11 AM

look INSIDE the female ports for all of the associated HDMI inputs... the little copper (or whatever) connections are easily bent/broken off... if one or two of the 8-10 or however many their are inside the port are damaged, you'll get some of the input, and not the other.

shelland 03-02-08 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Definitely try that. That will be a good indicator of whether or not there is a problem with your HDMI cable.

If it worked, it would not only tell you that your cable is fine, but also that your audio settings on the PS3 are correct. That should narrow it down to a receiver setting.

I literally just hooked up my PS3 HDMI to my Onkyo 604 last night (for just audio - don't have HDMI on my TV). When I first tried to change my PS3 audio setting, it gave me an error. I hadn't changed the audio source for that input to HDMI on my Onkyo - as soon as I did so, the PS3 setting changed without issue.

drugme 03-02-08 01:11 PM

Well, I took the cable in question and my ps3 and hooked it up to another tv and had no problems. I've tried hooking up my universal via hdmi and component audio and that worked. Then rehooked everything back again via just hdmi and still same message from my ps3 and a no signal from my receiver. I have the correct inputs on the receiver. I have the hdmi connected to hdmi input 2 of my onkyo and have the audio source of the onkyo to hdmi input 2 with auto selection. Then have hdmi out of my receiver to my tv. I don't supposed I fried something in my receiver by just unhooking an hdmi and rehooking it up to another dvd player...is that highly probable?

MATTMACK27 01-08-11 10:19 AM

Re: No Audio from PS3 via HDMI..help please

If the problem is that you cant get audio on your PS3, then this IS the way to fix it. Trust me

From the PS3 main menu:
1. Settings->Sound Settings->Audio Output Settings

2. Change it from HDMI to Digital Out (Optical). I do NOT have optical hooked up on my PS3, so if you have it hooked up, you may want to unhook it.. probably shouldn't matter.

3. I left what was defaulted: "Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz" and 48kHz

4. Right on the D pad (X selects/unselects options) to move to the next screen.

5. A confirmation page, hit X to Enter, saving the changes.

6. Start up a game, you shouldn't hear any sound (as expected)

7. Exit the game, then go back to Audio Output Settings and switch back to HDMI. I selected "Automatic" for "method for setting the output format."

8. A confirmation page, hit X to Enter, saving the changes.

9. Start up a game, you should now hear audio with your game (once again).

This problem, for me anyway, was caused from having switched my PS3 to a different TV for a period of time.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 01-08-11 11:22 AM

Have you tried hooking up another device to that hdmi port on the receiver?

TheMovieman 01-08-11 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 10579601)
Have you tried hooking up another device to that hdmi port on the receiver?

Psst, this is a 3 year old thread... ;)