DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Is HD-DVD Officially dead? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/526363-hd-dvd-officially-dead.html)

Roy28 02-29-08 06:32 PM

Is HD-DVD Officially dead?

Hi Everyone,

I just got out of the hospital after a 3-week stay - while I was in there I saw a scroll on cnn that said Toshiba has abandoned HD-DVD. So, is HD-DVD officially dead? - if so I've got a player to unload on ebay quick.

Sorrry if this has been discussed before, I searched but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

Roy

Bluelitespecial 02-29-08 06:34 PM

Yes HDdvd is officially dead, Parmamount and Universal are planning to go Blu.

Cameron 02-29-08 06:34 PM

yep. and Paramount and Universal have jumped ship as well. check the hd forum

Roy28 02-29-08 06:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I can get enough on ebay to pay off what I owe on my player.

Roy

Drexl 02-29-08 07:24 PM

Yeah, you missed a bunch of news. Also, the writers' strike ended, No Country for Old Men won Best Picture at the Oscars, Obama has kept winning states and is ahead of Hillary, and two girls felt they were kicked off a plane because they were too pretty.

MBoyd 02-29-08 07:37 PM

Go see the HD forums. We are buying up players. Whatcha got?

Roy28 02-29-08 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Go see the HD forums. We are buying up players. Whatcha got?

Toshiba HD-XA2 - 2 months old.

MBoyd 02-29-08 07:49 PM

You should try selling here. Someone will want that. I have one about two months old too.

Roy28 02-29-08 08:44 PM

You should try selling here. Someone will want that. I have one about two months old too.

How much are people selling them for here? They aer going for about $350 on ebay, plus I have about 15 discs which should drive the price up some. Maybe I'd make more money by selling the discs seperately.

Mr. Salty 02-29-08 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Roy28
How much are people selling them for here? They aer going for about $350 on ebay, plus I have about 15 discs which should drive the price up some. Maybe I'd make more money by selling the discs seperately.

Again: Go see the HD forum on DVD Talk. There are lots of threads there with answers to your questions.

MBoyd 02-29-08 09:29 PM

Personally I would keep it and start loading up on HD DVD deals, but I wouldnt be suprised if you have been bombarded with offers of $350 already. You should be able to unload easily.

canaryfarmer 02-29-08 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Roy28
So, is HD-DVD officially dead? Sorry if this has been discussed before, I searched but couldn't find anything.

rotfl Yeah, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it here...

tonymontana313 02-29-08 11:03 PM

Roy, you have the best and most demanded hd-dvd player out there. You will have no problem unloading that on ebay and getting a good price for it.

Gizmo 02-29-08 11:45 PM

WHAT?!?! HD DVD IS DEAD?
When did this happen!?!?!?

dsa_shea 03-01-08 12:09 AM

I'm watching a Forensic Files about its death right now.

whomod 03-01-08 02:12 AM

Personally I would keep it and start loading up on HD DVD deals, but I wouldnt be suprised if you have been bombarded with offers of $350 already. You should be able to unload easily.

Yeah that.

I'm holding on to my HD-DVD player and all the films.

I myself also went thru an initial period of panic and remorse and then I got over it. I did eventually buy a Blu Ray player but in the meantime, I went out and bought Zodiac which I really really wanted to see and held off buying it when it was released because it came out on the same week the Warner announcement came out and I had the mindset that it'd be a waste of money. Once I eventually bought it about a month later, that initial dread wore off and i realized just how silly that feeling was in the 1st place.

Now after buying the ps3 and a few films for it, I still happily buy HD-DVD's (Bewoulf and a good deal on a used " The Deer Hunter" HD-DVD) and prefer using the Toshiba over the PS3, although the PS3 is not a bad machine at all.

But if you really still want to unload it, i'd wait until you replace it with a Blu-Ray player first and then compare the upconversion on standard DVD's. I myself as well as many HD-DVD owners have found that the upconversion is superior on HD-DVD.

I'd probably have been a little more more inclined to replace my HD-DVD's if the upconversion wasn't so excellent on my HD-A20 as compared to the PS3. And you have a much better HD-DVD player than I do.

Roy28 03-02-08 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by whomod
Yeah that.

I'm holding on to my HD-DVD player and all the films.

I myself also went thru an initial period of panic and remorse and then I got over it. I did eventually buy a Blu Ray player but in the meantime, I went out and bought Zodiac which I really really wanted to see and held off buying it when it was released because it came out on the same week the Warner announcement came out and I had the mindset that it'd be a waste of money. Once I eventually bought it about a month later, that initial dread wore off and i realized just how silly that feeling was in the 1st place.

Now after buying the ps3 and a few films for it, I still happily buy HD-DVD's (Bewoulf and a good deal on a used " The Deer Hunter" HD-DVD) and prefer using the Toshiba over the PS3, although the PS3 is not a bad machine at all.

But if you really still want to unload it, i'd wait until you replace it with a Blu-Ray player first and then compare the upconversion on standard DVD's. I myself as well as many HD-DVD owners have found that the upconversion is superior on HD-DVD.

I'd probably have been a little more more inclined to replace my HD-DVD's if the upconversion wasn't so excellent on my HD-A20 as compared to the PS3. And you have a much better HD-DVD player than I do.

You are right - I have the HD-XA2 and a Playstation 3 - on standard dvd's, the Toshiba wins - no contest. I'm still going to sell it though, and maybe get the newest Oppo (region free, Pal capable and divx/xvid playback) and still have a good bit of change left over.

Mr. Cinema 03-02-08 01:20 PM

It was dead on 1/4/08.