Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How rare are the first pressing BDs of Song Remains the Same?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-27-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since it has now been confirmed that the official Song Remains the Same BD does NOT contain the bonus Cameron Crowe interview that appeared on the handful of initial, not-officially-released BDs, will those first BDs become ridiculously expensive ebay-able items in the near future? (I'm particularly curious because I have a sealed copy of one of the original BDs.)
Old 02-27-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How can one tell? My Borders has a copy of this in. Not sure if its the original or rerelease.
Old 02-27-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From reports thousands of the recalled edition made it to retailers shelves and were sold. Many retailers put these out to sell. I'm not sure how collectible these things will be in the future especially considering a virtually identical disc with one less feature has been released. Did the recalled Ed Wood dvd ever go for big money? That is a very similar situation.
Old 02-27-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
From reports thousands of the recalled edition made it to retailers shelves and were sold. Many retailers put these out to sell. I'm not sure how collectible these things will be in the future especially considering a virtually identical disc with one less feature has been released. Did the recalled Ed Wood dvd ever go for big money? That is a very similar situation.
Ed Wood got some good prices but nothing over $100 from what I remember. But that was also because the feature still wasn't available. I remember I snagged a copy of the first SE silver bordered release in February (2004?) and it wasn't out again until late in the year, so that helped Ebay prices.

In the case of TSRTS, the main feature is already available again, so unless the omitted extra is really worth having, it might not make much of a difference.
Old 02-27-08, 08:06 PM

Right, Ed Wood only got $50-$100 while THERE WAS NO OTHER DVD AVAILABLE. Once Ed Wood was re-released I can't remember a single high priced sale of the original dvd on Ebay. And by that I mean over $40.

Little Shop of Horrors with the alternate ending that got pulled used to go for good money.

If you have one of the original Led Zeppelin Song Remains the Same discs, I'd keep it and hope. But it isn't gold.
Old 02-27-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've gotten caught doing what the above posters were saying... I'd purchase something... when I mean purchase something that was rare - I mean I'd drive around town and call stores to see if they recieved titles that werent suppose to come out, or were outta print.

Many of times I'd go into the now defunct Media Play or Borders Megastores and grab OOP Criterion Collection films that I already owned just to throw on the trade forums and sell on flea-bay.

Now I only purchase stuff that I really intend to keep... with certain exceptions. Its just too much of a hassle.
Old 02-27-08, 09:55 PM
Suspended

i saw no fewer than 5 copies of it around christmas at walmart, so i'm sure quite a few got out.

the same walmart still has 2 copies of the SD version of the film- but price is 25.88
Old 02-27-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The audio dropouts on the TrueHD track might lessen the BD's value some. (I am assuming they fixed this in the new edition, right?)

That's what I get for assuming. I just read on AVS that the new edition still has the dropouts! So, the original HD DVD is still the only version with the Crowe segment and error-free audio.

Last edited by Drexl; 02-27-08 at 10:38 PM.