Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What HD DVD player should I buy as a secondary player?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-26-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I want to pick up a secondary HD-DVD player. I currently have the HD-A1, and I've had it since launch and it has been bulletproof for me.

I know that, however, will not last forever. Therefore I want to buy an additional player to "futureproof" my hd-dvd collection.

The "rush" is that to qualify for the 5 free mail in, I need to buy tomorrow.

My options:

HD-A3 open box for $85 (comes with everything, including the 2 free movies)

HD-A30 open box for $130 (comes with everything, including the 2 free movies)

HD-A35 open box display model for $199 (unknown if it comes with everything)

Currently I only have a 40" 1366x768 set, but I intend on upgrading to a 52" or better 1080p set in the next couple years.

Add to the mix that I have a $50 gift card good for the place that has the A3 and A30, but not the A35.

Other than the analog outs, what does the A35 offer over the A30?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't buy anything...if your A1 goes, I'll sell you mine.
Old 02-26-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Don't buy anything...if your A1 goes, I'll sell you mine.
Don't laugh. I'd take you up on that, depending on price. My A1 has been damn near the best piece of electronics I've ever owned.

The slow load times really don't bother me. I mean, if I'm sitting down to watch a 2 hour or longer movie, what's another minute or 2?
Old 02-26-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The A35 can bitsream audio, but I'm inclined to go for the A30 at those prices.
Old 02-26-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jericho
The A35 can bitsream audio, but I'm inclined to go for the A30 at those prices.
I'm leaning that way myself.. I just wanted re-assurance.

I can't say that the A35 isn't damn tempting though.. but at $119 more (if you count using the gift card on the A30) I don't know if it's justified? Plus the A30 I know comes with all components and box.
Old 02-26-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just picked up a D3(same as an A3, but includes an HDMI cable) at Costco for 80 bucks as a backup. This particular bundle included the first two Bourne movies. The beautiful thing about Costco is that DVD players still fall under the no time limit return policy. If I find a better deal down the road, I'll just return the D3 for a full return.
Old 02-26-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^ I would do the same, had Costco carried them here.
Old 02-26-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They all would best run in 1080i mode unless Toshiba fixes the issue with the A30 and A35 or you wind up with a 1080p24 display, so unless you want the bitstreaming, I think the A3 or A30 is fine.
Old 02-26-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
They all would best run in 1080i mode unless Toshiba fixes the issue with the A30 and A35 or you wind up with a 1080p24 display, so unless you want the bitstreaming, I think the A3 or A30 is fine.
not necessarily. it's possible that your current TV's de-interlacer suffers the same (or worse) problems as the 1080p players @ 1080p60 output. additionally, if your plans are to get a 1080p TV in the next couple of years, the TV will almost certainly support 1080p24, which you will want. if it were me, i'd probably get the A30.
Old 02-26-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A30 it is. I think I'll grab it after work today.

Thank all.
Old 02-26-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
not necessarily. it's possible that your current TV's de-interlacer suffers the same (or worse) problems as the 1080p players @ 1080p60 output. additionally, if your plans are to get a 1080p TV in the next couple of years, the TV will almost certainly support 1080p24, which you will want. if it were me, i'd probably get the A30.
The point of my post was to inform that this issue is recognized by users and Toshiba and has yet to corrected. I don't see any reason to downplay the issue based on what a display may or may not do.
Old 02-26-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The point of my post was to inform that this issue is recognized by users and Toshiba and has yet to corrected. I don't see any reason to downplay the issue based on what a display may or may not do.
i was not downplaying anything, but instead correcting the inaccuracy in your post which stated that all the player models would run best in 1080i mode. that's simply not true, as it depends on the quality of the de-interlacer in the TV that it is paired with. a TV that de-interlaces the 1080i input poorly may, in fact, produce a worse picture than the poorly-processed 1080p60 output of the players in question.
Old 02-26-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i was not downplaying anything, but instead correcting the inaccuracy in your post which stated that all the player models would run best in 1080i mode. that's simply not true, as it depends on the quality of the de-interlacer in the TV that it is paired with. a TV that de-interlaces the 1080i input poorly may, in fact, produce a worse picture than the poorly-processed 1080p60 output of the players in question.
And again, regardless of what the display can or can't do, the 1080p60 issue is still enough of a "buyer beware" to be mentioned when someone is picking a higher end model based on what it says it can do over the A3.
Old 02-26-08, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Damed
I want to pick up a secondary HD-DVD player.
The "rush" is that to qualify for the 5 free mail in, I need to buy tomorrow.
My options:
HD-A3 open box for $85 (comes with everything, including the 2 free movies)
HD-A30 open box for $130 (comes with everything, including the 2 free movies)
HD-A35 open box display model for $199 (unknown if it comes with everything)
Thanks in advance.

You may want to make sure that the receipt doesn't say anything about "open box" as those do not qualify for the free movies.
Old 02-26-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And again, regardless of what the display can or can't do, the 1080p60 issue is still enough of a "buyer beware" to be mentioned when someone is picking a higher end model based on what it says it can do over the A3.
i have absolutely no problem with mentioning the fact that 1080p60 output is flawed on those players, but that is not the way it was stated. my issue was with the statement that 1080i output will always look better, which is inaccurate and could lead to a poor decision. anyone considering a higher end model ought to have the full story and take everything into consideration.
Old 02-26-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i have absolutely no problem with mentioning the fact that 1080p60 output is flawed on those players, but that is not the way it was stated. my issue was with the statement that 1080i output will always look better, which is inaccurate and could lead to a poor decision. anyone considering a higher end model ought to have the full story and take everything into consideration.
Fair enough. The majority of opinions I have seen on AVS about the A20/A30/A35 issue have recommended 1080i. I didn't feel like I was inventing the info.
Old 02-27-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, it would seem fate intervened.

I went to get the A30, only to find that a store employee "reserved" it for himself. Nice.

So today at lunch I went to look at that demo A35.

It's a demo so far as it was taken out of the box and put on a shelf for display. Never hooked to a TV, never played a disc. So new.

I asked about box/manuals/remote etc

They had everything. I must of looked indecisive, as they guy offered another $10 off.

I bit. $189 for a (for all purposes) new A35. I'm happy.

Just so you guys know, the A35 was pretty much a no-show anywhere but at high end audio/video places here in Canada. Best Buy, Future Shop et all never carried it.
Old 02-27-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Damed
Well, it would seem fate intervened.

I went to get the A30, only to find that a store employee "reserved" it for himself. Nice.

So today at lunch I went to look at that demo A35.

It's a demo so far as it was taken out of the box and put on a shelf for display. Never hooked to a TV, never played a disc. So new.

I asked about box/manuals/remote etc

They had everything. I must of looked indecisive, as they guy offered another $10 off.

I bit. $189 for a (for all purposes) new A35. I'm happy.

Just so you guys know, the A35 was pretty much a no-show anywhere but at high end audio/video places here in Canada. Best Buy, Future Shop et all never carried it.
You could have done a lot worse - I think that's a good buy. Plus now you have a local point of sale to deal with if any issues arise.

The bitstreaming is especially worth it if you buy a lot of import HD DVD's, as it seems the majority of them use DTS-HD.
Old 02-27-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i agree with bunkaroo. i think you'll be very happy with the A35 and you you got a good deal on it. congrats!