DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Paramount BD titles back in stock at Amazon (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/526036-paramount-bd-titles-back-stock-amazon.html)

aintnosin 02-25-08 02:31 PM

Paramount BD titles back in stock at Amazon

Seems like a lot of the discontinued Paramount titles were warehoused and are now available again.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/23...ock-at-amazon/

SoSpacey 02-25-08 02:38 PM

link is dead to me

Bill Geiger 02-25-08 02:39 PM

I was able to get through. Not news though as plenty of Paramount Blu's were available anyway on Amazon.

DVD Josh 02-25-08 02:40 PM

I can't find any on Amazon.

myrdh 02-25-08 02:40 PM

Tip us on news!

RSS Feed | Category Feeds
Engadget | Engadget Mobile

Nearly half of Paramount's Blu-ray titles are in stock at Amazon again
Posted Feb 23rd 2008 8:55AM by Ben Drawbaugh
Filed under: Blu-ray

Way back when Paramount dropped Blu-ray for HD DVD, we saw something very odd happen as some titles were snatched from shelves and within a few months Paramount Blu-ray titles were going for a premium via 2nd hand services like Amazon and eBay. Now just as quickly as they disappeared about half of the 32 titles are back in stock on Amazon.com. No one really knows what the deal is, but we'd bet that these discs have been in a warehouse all along -- just in case. If this is in fact how it went down, Paramount certainly did play its cards right on this one

aintnosin 02-25-08 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
Not news though as plenty of Paramount Blu's were available anyway on Amazon.

I gather that a lot of them were not in stock, but available for premiums from third-parties.

SoSpacey 02-25-08 02:46 PM

15 of the 33 titles from Paramount are in-stock at Amazon.

Bill Geiger 02-25-08 02:53 PM

Well, I know (just to name a few):

Four Brothers - Reds - Black Snake Moan - Disturbia - Payback - Tomb Raider have been readily available. Also, up until about a month ago, so was We Were Soldiers direct from Amazon, not the 3rd party sellers.

DarthScooby 02-25-08 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
15 of the 33 titles from Paramount are in-stock at Amazon.

Indeed they are.

My bestbuy also seems to have restocked their blu Paramounts.

Bill Geiger 02-25-08 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by DarthScooby
Indeed they are.

My bestbuy also seems to have restocked their blu Paramounts.

I did notice more Four Brothers at BB yesterday.

MetalGator311 02-25-08 03:09 PM

Of course, The Untouchables isn't one of them

Mr. Cinema 02-25-08 03:13 PM

When Shooter shows up as in-stock, this will be news.

mike2 02-25-08 03:31 PM

ahh come on shooter!

Gizmo 02-25-08 03:38 PM

I think we have discussed this 4 times in the past week but Amazon has had more then half of the Paramount titles in stock for the past 5 months. This is not news. When they get Shooter, the MI Collection, and The Untouchables bad in-stock then this is news. Right now this is simply Amazon selling titles they have had in-stock since their release date. These are not new pressed titles. Paramount did not pull any titles off shelves when they went HD DVD exclusive.

BrandonJF 02-25-08 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by aintnosin
I gather that a lot of them were not in stock, but available for premiums from third-parties.

Many of them have been in stock at Amazon for awhile (probably since release). The ones not available right now are the only ones that have been available at higher costs from third parties. Amazon hasn't replenished stock.

I had many of them saved off for awhile and had been watching as some "sold out". There were even more available 4-8 weeks ago. In that time, they sold out of Tomb Raider, Mission:Impossible, Mission:Impossible 2, Sleepy Hollow, Aeon Flux, and Black Rain. But, those titles haven't been unavailable for long.

dman988 02-25-08 04:25 PM

Why do so many people want Shooter in Blu?
I wasn't aware it was so highly regarded...

Hammer99 02-25-08 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by dman988

Some reason it's hard-to-find, maybe a extra-small pressing. I got the HD DVD from CC during their big BOGO mistake... it's OK, but I don't like it enough to worry about replacing it, even it gets a later upgrade.

Gizmo 02-25-08 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by dman988

It was released only a few weeks before Paramount went HD DVD exclusive so not many pressed. Couple that with being a pretty decent movie it sold out fast.

deto 02-25-08 07:02 PM

i need coming to america.

dman988 02-25-08 07:09 PM

Oh, ok. Thanks for the explanations. :)

It is a decent film, I just didn't know what happened with the BD release.

NiCK Crush 02-28-08 01:46 AM

might pick up Black Snake Moan...

-NiCK

rfduncan 02-28-08 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by MetalGator311
Of course, The Untouchables isn't one of them

Nor are any of the Mission: Impossible movies. Still glad I snagged them sealed off of eBay. Even after shipping, they were still cheaper than Amazon. :banana:

Still why did Paramount supposedly "pull" them in the first place? Was that part of their arrangement with Toshiba? Dastardly, if true.

bunkaroo 02-28-08 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Nor are any of the Mission: Impossible movies. Still glad I snagged them sealed off of eBay. Even after shipping, they were still cheaper than Amazon. :banana:

Still why did Paramount supposedly "pull" them in the first place? Was that part of their arrangement with Toshiba? Dastardly, if true.

The M:I movies were available on Blu directly from Amazon as recent as the second week of January, as I bought them while my 10% was still in effect.

steelpotato 02-29-08 04:25 AM

Blades of Glory ;)