DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   No more 360 HD DVD Drives (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/525972-no-more-360-hd-dvd-drives.html)

PopcornTreeCt 02-24-08 05:13 PM

No more 360 HD DVD Drives

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080224/...crosoft_hd_dvd

Microsoft pulls plug on HD DVD players

SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp. said it will stop making HD DVD players for its Xbox 360 video game system after Toshiba Corp. ceded the high-definition video format battle to Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray.

Microsoft said Saturday it would continue to provide standard warranty support for its HD DVD players. Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida last week estimated about 300,000 people own the Microsoft video player, sold as a separate $130 add-on for the Xbox 360.

"HD DVD is one of the several ways we offer a high definition experience to consumers and we will continue to give consumers the choice to enjoy digital distribution of high definition movies and TV shows directly to their living room, along with playback of the DVD movies they already own," Blair Westlake, a corporate vice president of Microsoft's media and entertainment group, said in a written statement.

Microsoft was one of HD DVD's main backers, along with Intel Corp. and Japanese electronics maker NEC Corp., and its support for the format was seen as a big win for Toshiba's format.

But support for the HD DVD waned as major movie studios — Sony Pictures, Walt Disney Co., News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox and Warner Bros. Entertainment — picked Blu-ray to distribute high-def DVDs. Wal-Mart Stores Inc. struck what seemed to be the final blow just over a week ago when it said it would only sell Blu-ray players and discs.

Microsoft said it is looking at how the HD DVD technology it has developed, such as HDi, which adds interactive features to HD DVDs, and its VC-1 video encoding technology, can be applied to other platforms.

The Redmond-based software maker said the decision to stop selling HD DVD players won't have a material impact on its video game business.

DVD Polizei 02-24-08 05:16 PM

Microsoft pulled out of HD DVD...before WB did. Who are they trying to kid. :lol:

FantasticVSDoom 02-24-08 05:28 PM

Wonder if they would make a BD player add on?? Seriously doubt it, but interesting none the less.

ozzfan84 02-24-08 05:29 PM

When will we see liquidated prices on the drives in stores? I tried for a used one at Gamestop, but the only one near me looked dirty and didn't even have the remote. I would like to find a backup one cheap.

Lord Rick 02-24-08 07:04 PM

$49.99 at Kmart if you want one. Heck, I'm tempted and I don't even have a 360 or a PC powerful enough to run it.

Trevor 02-25-08 07:35 AM

$50 for 6 movies, a 360 remote, and a drive usable on the 360 and PC is a darn fine deal.

spainlinx0 02-25-08 08:16 AM

I may have to stop by K-Mart then.

edstein 02-25-08 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Wonder if they would make a BD player add on?? Seriously doubt it, but interesting none the less.

We may have a Blu-Ray add-on in May. MS already has a working prototype.

Link

DJ_Longfellow 02-25-08 08:37 AM

This is $50 at Best Buy/Amazon...probably everywhere until they are gone. Not a bad deal, but not great since it is dead .

My Other Self 02-25-08 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by edstein

Link

Omg I might not have to buy a PS3 now!?!??! THAT'S FANTASTIC!!!

raven56706 02-25-08 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by edstein

Link

doubt it... this is a bigtime rumor

lotsofdvds 02-25-08 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by raven56706
doubt it... this is a bigtime rumor

It would be smart for Microsoft in the console wars to make a Blu Ray add-on. Keeps a certain portion of the console buying crowd from thinking they have to buy a PS3.

GogoTheMimic 02-25-08 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
It would be smart for Microsoft in the console wars to make a Blu Ray add-on. Keeps a certain portion of the console buying crowd from thinking they have to buy a PS3.

This is true. It does however invite comparisons between the consoles and unless Microsoft is going to give the BluRay add ons away for free, it's going to cost more to get an equally equipped 360 and the Sony fanboys are going to eat that up.

Viper187 02-25-08 10:55 AM

I'm gonna be pissed if I shell out for a PS3 now and we get an Xbox BD player this summer.

ozzfan84 02-25-08 10:58 AM

I just used in store pickup for a 360 hd drive from Best Buy for $50. I already have one, but at that price it will be nice to keep it as a backup. That drive works better than my standalone player.

Viper187 02-25-08 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
I just used in store pickup for a 360 hd drive from Best Buy for $50. I already have one, but at that price it will be nice to keep it as a backup. That drive works better than my standalone player.

Does the website allow you to reserve something for in-store pickup but pay cash for it?

bmello 02-25-08 11:08 AM

I just got back from my local BB and they had at least 40 of these, shelf tag was $49.99.

Trevor 02-25-08 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Viper187
Does the website allow you to reserve something for in-store pickup but pay cash for it?

No, you have to totally pay for it online. But you can use gift cards and RZ certs.

You could, I guess, pay w/ credit card, but when you pick it up immediately return it and rebuy w/ cash.

Gizmo 02-25-08 11:26 AM

Tempting...

kefrank 02-25-08 11:46 AM

so what kind of PC would i need to be able to use this thing?

Viper187 02-25-08 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
You could, I guess, pay w/ credit card, but when you pick it up immediately return it and rebuy w/ cash.

but that wouldn't get me the online price. Top Gun is listed $14.99 online, but it's still like $25 in store. bastards

PerryD 02-25-08 12:05 PM

Does the HD-DVD drive have a separate power supply, or does it work directly off of the USB?

edstein 02-25-08 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
so what kind of PC would i need to be able to use this thing?

PowerDVD HD Requirements

And yes, the drive has it's own power supply.

Trevor 02-25-08 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Viper187
but that wouldn't get me the online price. Top Gun is listed $14.99 online, but it's still like $25 in store. bastards

It will. BB matches BB.com.

Viper187 02-25-08 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
It will. BB matches BB.com.

They'll claim it's an online special or some shit and refuse to. This is BB we're talking about.