DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Anyone know if Redbox will start to carry BD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/525852-anyone-know-if-redbox-will-start-carry-bd.html)

kvrdave 02-22-08 11:03 AM

Anyone know if Redbox will start to carry BD?

May not be enough demand for them, but damn, that would make me think heavily about stopping netflix/blockbuster.

Bill Geiger 02-22-08 11:39 AM

I agree. I would redbox more than I already do. Plus, I only rent when I get free rentals, which is about once a week.

Drexl 02-22-08 11:40 AM

They should make a "Blubox" just for renting out BD.

My Other Self 02-22-08 11:44 AM

I love Redbox. I couldn't live without it nowadays. Most convenient thing, especially after grocery shopping.

bearkiss 02-22-08 12:46 PM

I think it'll be a LONG time before they go blu... too many people would rent expecting their standard dvds then get home & be pissed when it wouldn't play... (remember - we're talking about "the masses")...

Qui Gon Jim 02-22-08 01:00 PM

How do you get a coupon every week?

Mr. Salty 02-22-08 05:26 PM

A good friend of mine is a vice president at Redbox and designed the machines. I'll e-mail him and let you know what he says, but I kind of doubt it. The machines only hold about 1,500 discs, so the company is focused mostly on popular, mainstream titles. Blu-ray is probably still too much of a niche market right now.

Bill Geiger 02-22-08 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim

Well, I used a free coupon code, and had a free rental. For example, the free code that has been coming to me for weeks has been, without the quotes, "DVDONME."

Check out this site.

http://www.redboxcodes.com/

They give you the option when you rent to put in your email. Once you do, they will, at least once a week, send you a free rental code.

clappj 02-22-08 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim

If you sign up on their website for it, they'll send a text message to you cell phone every Monday for a free rental, but it's only good that day.

kvrdave 02-22-08 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
A good friend of mine is a vice president at Redbox and designed the machines. I'll e-mail him and let you know what he says, but I kind of doubt it. The machines only hold about 1,500 discs, so the company is focused mostly on popular, mainstream titles. Blu-ray is probably still too much of a niche market right now.

Yeah, I figured. But when they have them in tiny little kvrdave land, you know they are getting to be a big company. Are they a public company?

Mr. Salty 02-22-08 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Yeah, I figured. But when they have them in tiny little kvrdave land, you know they are getting to be a big company. Are they a public company?

They're half owned by McDonald's and half owned by Coin Star, but I think they are going to have an IPO. The last time I talked with him (Thanksgiving) that was kind of up in the air, and frankly I don't remember the details.

Redbox started in the Chicago area (where McDonald's is headquartered) and has been rolling out across the country pretty aggressively. I think they have a little more than 6,000 machines nationwide and are adding 100-200 per week.

Bill Geiger 02-22-08 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by clappj
If you sign up on their website for it, they'll send a text message to you cell phone every Monday for a free rental, but it's only good that day.

I don't get text messages, just regular emails.

Mr. Salty 02-22-08 10:07 PM

Here's the response I got from my friend at Redbox:

The dust around Blu-ray has to settle a bit.

Redbox doesn't have an official position yet on when we will start
stocking Blu-ray movies. We will most likely start testing
in small markets this year just to learn more about the consumer demand
and behavior around Blu-ray.

Personally, I think we will need another two Christmas seasons to get
enough Blu-ray players out to justify stocking Blu-ray discs.