Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD owners: Am I missing out by not owning these titles?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD owners: Am I missing out by not owning these titles?

Old 02-20-08, 12:06 AM
  #1  
Cool New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In a gutter
Posts: 45
HD DVD owners: Am I missing out by not owning these titles?

I've barely gotten my feet wet with this format and want to own pretty much own all of the following titles before they go away. Am I better off buying these now or waiting?

Beerfest
Blood Diamond
Brokeback Mountain
Bullitt
Cowboys (John Wayne)
Dirty Dozen
Dog Day Afternoon
Feast
Forbidden Planet
Getaway (Peckinpah)
Mutinty on the Bounty
Rio Bravo
Reds
Rundown
Scanner Darkly
Searchers
Slither
Tremors
V for Vendetta
World's Fastest Indian
XBOX360 is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 12:16 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
speedyray's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Kingston, TN
Posts: 2,309
Well there are a couple on the list that are 14.95 and part of the buy 2 get 1 free sale at amazon making them average 10 each.
These I think: (did not verify)
Beerfest
Blood Diamond
Bullitt
Cowboys (John Wayne)
Dirty Dozen
Dog Day Afternoon
Rio Bravo
Scanner Darkly

Overall, I am hoping for some great sales so I can pick up a few titles I had been waiting on. I figure with 90 HD DVD I am not going to replace them with BD so I might as well keep a dual format machine or a HD DVD player around for the long haul. I mean I still have VHS and LD hooked up for less content than that. If 10 is a reasonable price for you, I would say jump on those, if not patience may or may not pay off as stores clear out HD DVD inventory.

Last edited by speedyray; 02-20-08 at 12:48 AM.
speedyray is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 01:59 AM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 54
Wait for them on Blu-ray. Believe me,,, They're coming.
Parasol Stars is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 02:01 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
You are missing out on some titles but not those titles.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 02:53 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,503
I'd say, get these:


Brokeback Mountain
Bullitt
*Cowboys (John Wayne)
Dog Day Afternoon
*Forbidden Planet
*Mutiny on the Bounty
*Rio Bravo
Reds
Scanner Darkly
*Searchers
Tremors
V for Vendetta

The Amazon B2G1 is over. However, get ready for B1G1 which may appear as early as a few days. Asterisk ones are essential, and I think fewer copies were made of these.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 03:25 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 121
I would concur with DVD Polizei's summation other than Mutiny On The Bounty being an essential.
ian959 is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 07:05 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,001
I think that Brokeback Mountain, Feast, Forbidden Planet*, Mutiny on the Bounty*, The Rundown, Slither, Tremors, and V for Vendetta* are the only titles that aren't available on BD now. Reds can still be had on BD even though it's OOP, and the titles with asterisks are from Warner, who claim they are catching up this year. As long as you're not planning on staying away from BD for a while, I'd wait for those.
Drexl is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 08:24 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Hammer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,049
Originally Posted by XBOX360
I've barely gotten my feet wet with this format and want to own pretty much own all of the following titles before they go away. Am I better off buying these now or waiting?

Beerfest
Blood Diamond
Brokeback Mountain
Bullitt
Cowboys (John Wayne)
Dirty Dozen
Dog Day Afternoon
Feast
Forbidden Planet
Getaway (Peckinpah)
Mutinty on the Bounty
Rio Bravo
Reds
Rundown
Scanner Darkly
Searchers
Slither
Tremors
V for Vendetta
World's Fastest Indian
Mutiny is a tough case IMO. The HD DVD looks great, but it goes badly out-of-sync for several minutes. Will it ever be issued on BD? If so, will Warner correct the problem?
Anyways... I think The Searchers is essential to any HD library, whether it's in BD or HD DVD. I would recommend getting that one above all others.
Hammer99 is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 08:50 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,579
World's Fastest Indian is an excellent film that was criminally overlooked by Hollywood. Could be Anthony Hopkins' best performance. It's out on Blu-Ray and HD DVD.

Definitely worth the ~$20 it can be had for.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 09:33 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,014
Originally Posted by Hammer99
Mutiny is a tough case IMO. The HD DVD looks great, but it goes badly out-of-sync for several minutes. Will it ever be issued on BD? If so, will Warner correct the problem?
Anyways... I think The Searchers is essential to any HD library, whether it's in BD or HD DVD. I would recommend getting that one above all others.
The Mutiny de-sync varies depending on your player, it was perfectly in synch on my A2.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 09:51 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,443
Originally Posted by Parasol Stars
Wait for them on Blu-ray. Believe me,,, They're coming.
Thanks for answering a question that wan't posed!

===============================================

I can definitely say that
The Dirty Dozen
Dog Day Afternoon

and
The Getaway
look pretty damn good!
clappj is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 09:59 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Hammer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,049
Originally Posted by RichC2
The Mutiny de-sync varies depending on your player, it was perfectly in synch on my A2.
Cool, I haven't watched it since release week, maybe one of my firmware updates fixed it. I just did a quick look around, you are the first person I've read that specifically said they experienced no sync problems... probably cause so few of us bought it, sad to say.
Hammer99 is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 10:04 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,014
It was one of my first rentals when I got my A2, I've cut way way way back on my purchases lately.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 10:54 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,129
Originally Posted by Hammer99
Cool, I haven't watched it since release week, maybe one of my firmware updates fixed it. I just did a quick look around, you are the first person I've read that specifically said they experienced no sync problems... probably cause so few of us bought it, sad to say.
I didn't notice any sync issues on my copy, either.
Cosmic Bus is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.