DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   How likely are you to double dip on your DVDs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/525436-how-likely-you-double-dip-your-dvds.html)

PopcornTreeCt 02-17-08 08:03 PM

How likely are you to double dip on your DVDs?

Let's say for example every DVD you have is also available on HD-DVD/Blu-ray. What percentage of your collection are you likely to double-dip?

I figure a lot of the movies I have I'm only "meh" to and the DVD is suffice. But I'd say there's still a good a 40% or so I'd re-buy sadly enough.

xfilekr 02-17-08 08:07 PM

This will sound weird, but when the 2 formats were competing and I have both, and the sales were really good I was upgrading some. I pass on ones that have questionable transfers or lose bonus features (fox) and was then giving away the sd releases I replaced. Now that the war is over, I'm being alot more picky, buying less hd, and keeping SD for ones that I replace. Like I said, it doesn't really make sense, I guess I just lost some enthusiasm for HD. My sd collection is at about 1,500+ so I'm probably just buying new releases in HD and not trying to replace catalog. (I'm the only person I know w/ hd and having a bunch that I can only play at my house keeps me grounded in sd)

Drexl 02-17-08 08:18 PM

I really can't answer because there are too many variables like price, transfer quality, bonus features, etc. Everything is on a case-by-case basis. I am probably willing to upgrade about anything, but for some titles I may not do it until they reach $5 or so.

Of course, there are some TV shows like Mr. Show and Chappelle's Show that were produced in SD anyway.

Arpeggi 02-17-08 08:27 PM

100% chance.

amplified 02-17-08 08:35 PM

It all depends on the quality of the transfer for me. If it is not much of an upgrade, then I'll stick with my DVD copy until a better version is released.

bunkaroo 02-17-08 08:42 PM

100%. I got rid of all my "meh" movies during 2007 and early 2008.

I like knowing I have the best presentation, even if it's only a slight improvement. But I'm still waiting for a sale before I get the Wall Street BD.

Gerry P. 02-17-08 08:45 PM

Pretty likely.

hoyalawya 02-17-08 09:16 PM

Prices are still high. I'll rent first and buy only the ones that I really like.

Dane Marvin 02-17-08 09:27 PM

80%, I'd say. Maybe higher if prices were to go down.

Of course, I did trade in half my DVD collection in order to upgrade to Blu-ray in the first place, so I'm pretty committed. Only 11 of my 30 owned & ordered BDs are double dips so far, so I am doing a good job of exposing myself to some new titles so far since adopting.

Gizmo 02-17-08 09:36 PM

Out of my current SD Movie collection...20-25%.

Would I buy Halloween on Blu-ray? Yes, already did.
Would I buy Halloween 5 on Blu-ray (or whatever)? NO.

I'd love to get Magnolia, Rushmore, Punch Drunk Love, Boogie Nights etc. on Blu-ray or HD DVD, but I don't see that happening for a while.

Jericho 02-17-08 09:47 PM

I upgraded a lot more than I had intended too, largely in part to the various deals that made the prices pretty reasonable after I considered selling off the old version. I don't know how much I will upgrade total, I'll take it on a case by case basis. And how long some stuff takes to come out is another question. If I ever got up to 50%, that would be pretty good I think.

RoboDad 02-17-08 10:04 PM

I'm probably in the 35-40% range myself. Maybe higher, maybe lower, depending on the variables that have been mentioned.

When considering a double dip, the first question I will have to ask is, "do the visuals (anything from cool special effects to breathtaking cinematography) in this story contribute in such a way that seeing them in HD will add to my enjoyment factor?" If there is little chance that they will, then I would look at the overall package, in terms of extras, and the nature of the film itself. If it is a worthy special edition of a film I consider to be a classic, then by all means I would double dip.

But, if it is a film that isn't as driven by the visuals as much as the dialogue or other elements, and it isn't a classic to me, then I'd likely pass.

DeanoBKN 02-17-08 10:21 PM

If (and once) the price is right, most of them. For the time being, i'm slowing building my collection with "must have's" Do I really need The Breakfast Club on HD for $25? No, but $10? Why not?

TheV 02-18-08 07:36 PM

Too many that I've already double dipped look the same when compared to the upconverted DVD. I won't be double-dipping anymore unless it's SFX films like Bladerunner. Even then, it's not likely. If the original DVD isn't progressive scan then I would.

I cannot wait until they start releasing the SD produced shows on HD and people say "Wow...it's just like the DVD."

El Talon Del Monstruo 02-18-08 10:36 PM

It really depends on the film

something like ID4 or Minority Report I'd do in a heartbeat, but there are so many older films, or comedies that upconverting would do the trick just as well as owning in HD.

pro-bassoonist 02-19-08 01:01 AM

Likely around 60%. Not because I do not wish to go all the way but simply because I do not foresee a large number of my discs getting the BR treatment any time soon. From Zulawski to Tarr to Olmi I believe that the majority of these will remain untouched for some time.

As the market widens up however and I add up a second B-region player I will be replacing as much as I could collect from here and overseas.

Pro-B

whomod 02-19-08 01:19 AM

I'd say that MOST of my rather large collection of SD will stay as-is and I'll simply buy new releases in HD. The exceptions being movies that I truly love. So far i've upgraded Batman Begins, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Goodfellas, Superman:The Movie, and Troy.

If available I'd upgrade Gladiator, Apocalypse Now and generally only 1st rate films. Which are really pretty sparse compared to the majority of titles I own frankly. So percentage-wise, I'd say i'd only upgrade about 5-10% of my collection.

The rest frankly sit on the shelf the majority of the time anyways so double dipping to have a film that'll spend the majority of it's time on a shelf as well is frankly insane.

pagansoul 02-19-08 08:08 AM

I have over 2000 in my DVD collection. My BRD collection is only about 40 and all are either new SciFi or great visual movies like Crouching Tiger and Flying Daggers and Planet Earth series. I also have a few music videos in BRD, Chris Botti Live, Dave Matthews and musicals like Phantom of Opera. I'm looking forward to getting 30 days of Night and Becoming Jane in BRD but am wondering if I should get a HD-A3 at $100 and the Matrix collection or wait till Warner brings it out on BRD. I have no problem with using an HD machine on my second HDTV. It can upconvert my SDVD and maybe a small collection of HD movies that I may get because the prices are starting to drop.

Tracer Bullet 02-19-08 08:17 AM

Unless it's a personal favorite, not very likely. This of course precludes any sales, when all bets are off.

Brian Shannon 02-19-08 08:20 AM

I will continue to buy whatever I want

RichC2 02-19-08 09:02 AM

Of my currently owned DVDs, and I own a lot, I'd probably upgrade the following:

Amelie
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Dark City
The City of Lost Children
Run Lola Run
Pulp Fiction

And that about does it. I don't own a few movies I'd like to, so I'll just grab the HDMs when they're available. I honestly haven't watched my owned DVDs nearly as much as I thought I would when I bought them, if even once. Once there are $5.50 HDM bins at Walmart, I may replace more back titles.

Sparrow 02-19-08 09:51 AM

I have a rule, if I can get rid of the SDVD, I will purchase the BD of the movie and it has to warrant the purchase.

Out of the gate, there's roughly 20% of my collection that I'd like to replace and all new releases will be BD.

Doughboy 02-19-08 10:13 AM

I've already been upgrading every SD-DVD I own. In almost every case, there's been a noticeable improvement in picture quality. There are exceptions though like Being John Malkovich, An American Werewolf in London, and Lost In Translation which were major letdowns.

bookcase3 02-19-08 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Unless it's a personal favorite, not very likely. This of course precludes any sales, when all bets are off.

Yes, it's the sales that resulted in me upgrading many of my SDs, when I promised myself I wouldn't.

TheV 02-19-08 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
I've already been upgrading every SD-DVD I own. In almost every case, there's been a noticeable improvement in picture quality.

Really, my experience has been so different. Are you upconverting the SD? I guess it's all a difference in equipment maybe? Or maybe the definition of "noticeable". I really wanted to see an improvement, but it's the exception and not the rule for me.

It could also be that most of my purchases are pre-1990 films? Not sure why but for me it was a letdown all around for HD over SD. I still love the way the big screen looks, but I like the SD upconverted as much as the HD in most instances.

But like many, I'd definitely buy more when there are BOGOF sales. For that price it makes me curious to see if I find any change.