Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD is near death... All articles, rumors, etc. HERE

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD is near death... All articles, rumors, etc. HERE

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BDA group needs to attract 99% of the DVD side, so i'm 110% sure they'll have more BOGO or B2G1 deal. If they do'nt see movies flying off the shelf, i'm sure they'll provide them. They got to meet their numbers...trust me...they'll continue to have sale.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Awesome. We will be getting high priced movies, no more BOGOs and profile issues for years. Woot!!!!!
Old 02-15-08, 12:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, stop provoking the pessimistic mogwai.
Old 02-15-08, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Vaya Con Dios!

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-15-08 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-15-08, 12:52 AM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
No competition = high priced movies with very few sales. How many BOGOs have we had since Warner went Blu?

No reason for CES to drop prices, no more 5 free, and now 2.0 is optional? Cute. Wonder how mich Disney is spenimg on interactive/online features that only PS3s can use. Thanks BDA!
I'm amazed that you still think the competition was/is BD and HD DVD.
Old 02-15-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Vaya Con Dios!

Pro-B
You already announced once you were leaving. I don't believe you this time.
Old 02-15-08, 01:03 AM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
You already announced once you were leaving. I don't believe you this time.
You need to brush up on your Spanish.
Old 02-15-08, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No competition = high priced movies with very few sales. How many BOGOs have we had since Warner went Blu?

No reason for CES to drop prices, no more 5 free, and now 2.0 is optional? Cute. Wonder how mich Disney is spenimg on interactive/online features that only PS3s can use. Thanks BDA!
How many HD-DVD BOGOs did we have before BD started doing them?

How many? That's right there were none.
Old 02-15-08, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
You need to brush up on your Spanish.
It's what I SAID when he left.
Old 02-15-08, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I want them for 50 cents each at Goodwill, and players for 10 bucks.

Sony switching to VHS shows anything can happen.
I'm not so sure that would happen in today's world due to eBay et al, where people know they can get more for their stuff.

PopcornTreeCt, maybe these developments will cause Paramount to release TWBB on BD. Hopefully there's enough time to have it ready to be day and date.
Old 02-15-08, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
How many HD-DVD BOGOs did we have before BD started doing them?

How many? That's right there were none.
I think that only supports GizmoDVD's point that competition leads to lower prices.

Anyway, I can't imagine prices actually going up. I don't give Sony very much credit as they rarely seem to learn from their stupid mistakes, but even still, I don't think they'll be stupid with this one. There's just too much at stake to be doing anything stupid. While player and movie prices may not drop as quickly as we may like, they are bound to go down. For the masses to adopt it, it still needs to compete with DVD.
Old 02-15-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Will Toshiba be able to make a machine that properly does 1080p for under $500 if they go Blu? One can hope...

Last edited by bunkaroo; 02-15-08 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-15-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Awesome. We will be getting high priced movies, no more BOGOs and profile issues for years. Woot!!!!!
Please dude, come in off the ledge.
Old 02-15-08, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Awesome. We will be getting high priced movies
Well, it's all relative. I don't think we'll have high priced movies...just less-obnoxiously-low priced movies.

The BOGOs and fire sales were to push for a winner among us influential early adopters, not a going practice. If they didn't have the intended impact, there's no doubt in my mind that the studios would've either stopped those sorts of sales or greatly, greatly curtailed them eventually.

After all, what's the point in spending all this money to launch a new format if you're going to consistently give away the store? The enormous discounts were not sustainable. I don't see them doing these same sorts of sales, at least not on a weekly/semi-weekly basis, to try to win out over DVD.

I don't think it'll be too long until the premium over DVD is pretty marginal, though.

At this point, abandoning the format does seem like the right move for Toshiba to make. They've either been unwilling or unable to properly market HD DVD, and with the way support from retailers, manufacturers, and studios has been hemorrhaging week after week, they might as well cut their losses. It's unfortunate because HD DVD is a quality, well-realized format with a tremendous amount of potential, but it wasn't shepherded by a company how knew how to do much of anything with it.

While I agree with Josh that the numbers are still so low that the lead is more in mindshare and percentages than actual volume, I still can't picture a realistic scenario in which Toshiba could even carve out a niche-within-a-niche. When HD DVD did have the upper hand in 2006, Toshiba didn't press its advantage, and at this stage in the game, now it doesn't have an advantage -- or anything at all, really -- to press.
Old 02-15-08, 07:53 AM

Um, that all happened after the holiday season was over. Of course they were going to tone down on the sales. They can't do BOGO forever.
Old 02-15-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by darthdelegate
Um, that all happened after the holiday season was over. Of course they were going to tone down on the sales. They can't do BOGO forever.
There were plenty of BOGOs months before the holidays.
Old 02-15-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yup

A Sony proprietary format finally won a consumer tech battle.
Old 02-15-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For fuck's sake, can we stop all the whining and just move on? It seems like some posters have a serious case of sour grapes.
Old 02-15-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Personally, it is in the interest of BDA to start encouraging better player technologies to lower prices overall to increase sales. This is more true now that lower-cost chipsets for Blu-ray players now exist.

With sales of widescreen TV's with HDMI inputs now zooming through the roof (despite the economic downturn), there is a ready market for lower-cost Blu-Ray players.
Old 02-15-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
For fuck's sake, can we stop all the whining and just move on? It seems like some posters have a serious case of sour grapes.
They should each start a dramatic thread about leaving the forum, and then come back 3 weeks later.
Old 02-15-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron Chef
They should each start a dramatic thread about leaving the forum, and then come back 3 weeks later.
Or we could just let things go and move on.
Old 02-15-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
You need to tell that other people in this thread that aren't complaining but dancing on the grave of a format that was pretty good and with low prices.
Old 02-15-08, 10:01 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mod Note: Gizmo, I think you might need a break from the HD forum. It's clearly getting to you. I don't want to have to suspend or ban anyone else, but as Namja posted in the Blu-ray discussion thread, this constant bickering has really worn on the mods. If this news is really true, then it's the end for HD DVD, and people are just going to have to live with that.
Old 02-15-08, 10:44 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Well, Toshiba may be packing it in with HD-DVD, but they're not going to go away by any means. 1080 wrote this bit about them already prepping for Blu Ray players at prices that could be attractive. If they so confirm in the next few weeks they'll drop support, I would assume they may announce their plan as to what they may do next. the exec said, "Toshiba will continue to study the market impact and the value proposition for consumers, particularly in light of our recent price reductions on all HD DVD players."

Here's what 1080 wrote up,

"1080living.com has learned through sources in the distribution and retail business that the buzz is Toshiba already has a Blu-Ray player in the works ready for production for a September 08 release but now this has been pushed up to a July 08 release with recent events in the industry.

This would make sense as Toshiba is a major electronics giant and supporting Blu-Ray will only benefit the company in the long run. Toshiba is currently liquidating HD-DVD players for as little as $90.00 which many analyst consider to be under their cost but as demand dries up Toshiba is trying to cash in on last minute consumers that will be swayed by price alone.

One source cited 2 players are in the works with a price target of $250 and $350.00."

Last edited by E Unit; 02-15-08 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-15-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fine by me. Kill it, I don't care. Everyone knows HD DVD is done; better that Toshiba just rips the band-aid off. I'll pick up a bunch of cheap movies to enjoy while I wait for a finished and affordable Blu-Ray player.
Old 02-15-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think alot of people would welcome a Toshiba branded BD player. If the news is true that they are dropping "support" of HD DVD, does that mean they will debut with a BD only player? Or will they at least start with a dual format one?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.