Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will some of these Limbo BRs ever seen release?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-14-08, 03:29 PM

I am starting to sell off some of my SD DVDs that I know that I will want to upgrade when the BRs are released. I am still in college so I need to sell the old in order to raise the funds for the new.

There are alot of titles I will want to upgrade when and if they are released, but right now I am only doing to titles that have already been officially announced by the studio. But a couple of the SD DVDs I would want to sell and buy on Blu-Ray are in the Limbo category. I know no one knows for sure but I was wanting some opinions on these Blu-Rays ever seeing the light of day.

Red Dawn (I know it is bad, but I loved it when I was young and I just can't stop. What is twice as bad is that I am a liberal Democrat and still love this movie.)

Princess Bride

Croutching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Old 02-14-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

I'd guess they may and they may also get double dipped while on Blu-Ray
Old 02-14-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Vendetta-AKK
Princess Bride
Has been announced for a LONG time, but no concrete news on when it will be released. Owned by FOX now so who knows.

You'd think that this would be one of the top catalogue releases for Sony considering the number of awards and nominations it got and it would indeed look stunning on Blu-ray.
Old 02-14-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if CTHD has been held back for a new master, since it dates back to 2000. Some of the transfers from that time aren't looking so good.
Old 02-14-08, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I wonder if CTHD has been held back for a new master, since it dates back to 2000. Some of the transfers from that time aren't looking so good.

I could see how this would stop studios from releasing alot of catelog titles right now. The cost/reward balance may not be in there favor until more people make the leap to Blu, or start buying more catelog titles.

That wasn't what stopped MGM titles like Red Dawn & Princess Bride however. Both were Remastered this year.

Last edited by Vendetta-AKK; 02-14-08 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-14-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wouldn't be surprised if Princess Bride gets released >5 times on blu-ray!
Old 02-14-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know it is bad, but I loved it when I was young and I just can't stop. What is twice as bad is that I am a liberal Democrat and still love this movie.[/B]
I hear you. I may want Obama for President and hate Bush, but I love anything from the 80's that was right-wing because of how over-the-top cheesy it is. Rambo: First Blood Part II, Sudden Impact, Uncommon Valor, the Death Wish sequels, ANYTHING John Milius...if it glorifies Reagan*, I'll eat it up. And I'm proud to admit that Red Dawn is and always will be a guilty pleasure. And if the price was right, I'd get it on Blu-ray.

* - No disrespect to the Reagan haters of the time, like RoboCop and They Live.
Old 02-14-08, 05:28 PM

Last I had seen on this film, literally, was a pretty bad SD anamorphic master. I think Sony has to create a new HD master.

fitprod
Old 02-14-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fitprod
Last I had seen on this film, literally, was a pretty bad SD anamorphic master. I think Sony has to create a new HD master.

fitprod
Based on what I've seen, I hope they do create a new master. The existing one would probably look pretty bad on BD. That being said, I love the film, so I really hope that this is something Sony is working on (and doing it correctly).
Old 02-14-08, 06:56 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cultshock
Based on what I've seen, I hope they do create a new master. The existing one would probably look pretty bad on BD. That being said, I love the film, so I really hope that this is something Sony is working on (and doing it correctly).
Sony insiders have said the master is in pretty bad shape and they canceled the BD release due to this, since it was supposed to be one of the first releases on blu-ray and the bad reaction to House of Flying Daggers made them hold off on a release. They said that they will be revisiting the movie for a release this year, but to not expect too much because of all the editing for special effects they did, which really softened the picture quite a bit.
Old 02-15-08, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Red Dawn is supposed to be part of that upcoming Father's Day promotion that includes manly movies like Patton and Mrs. Doubtfire, isn't it?