DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Apple TV Take 2 Impressions? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/525190-apple-tv-take-2-impressions.html)

josuff247 02-14-08 01:17 PM

Apple TV Take 2 Impressions?

Anyone download the update?

I was wondering if someone can give a review.

mssturgeon 02-15-08 07:11 AM

Yes, I have updated mine. In a word: incredible!

I have a couple pieces coming out on it soon. Interface is MUCH better, a lot more like what you would expect from Apple than what they released the first time. Video quality is very good. Price is right. I only wish they had 1080p source material instead of 720p.

Cheers,

- Shane

Michael Corvin 02-15-08 09:37 AM

Can you use it as a gateway/HTPC?

I have a G5 as my main computer and want to eventually put my kids DVDs on it. Could AppleTV be used to stream them? Or does it have to be a certain format, etc?

sm8680 02-15-08 10:23 AM

I'd buy this but they want $1.99 per tv show. I can go to the survivor site and watch the latest episode for free.

FantasticVSDoom 02-15-08 12:13 PM

I want to like this but iTunes rentals for movies are just to limited at this point... As soon as they have more rentals in the store, I am all over it.

Gizmo 02-15-08 12:17 PM

I'll keep my hacked Apple TV instead. It plays any movie file I throw at it :)

GatorDeb 02-15-08 12:27 PM

I don't get why someone would pay $5 to rent a movie when they can get a Blu-ray or HD-DVD for $10-$15.

josuff247 02-15-08 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I don't get why someone would pay $5 to rent a movie when they can get a Blu-ray or HD-DVD for $10-$15.

My reason is because the other day I stared at my 200 SD DVDs and realized that in the past 10 years I watched most only once and some are still sealed.

I'd like to think I got some good deals on the DVDs I bought, but in reality, if I just rented them for $5 a piece, I'd be ahead of the game.

Also While Amazon has some nice sales from time to time. HD DVDs and Blu-rays are usually in the 20-30 range for a new release.

BTW, I do have both HD and Blu, and currently rent from netflix.
However, my que has 15 movies on it from 3 months ago that still have not shipped. And now with them not carrying HD DVD anymore, I will lower my netflix membership and switch to Apple TV...Providing I get good reviews of the content and quality.

My biggest weekness is sales and the fact that I like having my collection on display.

klemsaba 02-15-08 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb

Why would someone pay $10-$15 to watch a movie only once (or maybe twice)? If you like to collect movies, that's cool.

Michael Corvin 02-15-08 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by josuff247
My reason is because the other day I stared at my 200 SD DVDs and realized that in the past 10 years I watched most only once and some are still sealed.

I'd like to think I got some good deals on the DVDs I bought, but in reality, if I just rented them for $5 a piece, I'd be ahead of the game.

I think that's a lesson a lot of us learned. :lol:

Cheddarmuff 02-17-08 06:47 PM

Apple TV is amazing...

The new functionality of the Apple TV is flat out amazing. Surf, click, watch...boom! The fact that you can hang out on your sofa and rent movies and TV shows at the click of a button, not to mention watch youtube and the numerous podcasts is great.

Sure there aren't tens of thousands of movies available yet, but Apple has all the major studios signed up and this will continue to grow at a rate only limited by Apple and the studio's ability to create electronic copies of movies and add them to their server.

This product is the future, blockbuster, netflix are all done...game, set, match. Why in the heck would you wait a couple days to receive a movie (netflix) or drive out to pick one up (blockbuster) when you can just click and order. Sure pay-per-view has been around for a while but many people didn't use these services but iTunes is a household name. Apple will own this space before too long.

Now if the studio's would ease up a bit and realize they have a good thing here...this would eliminate the 24 hour view limit and get things moving faster.

Cheddarmuff 02-17-08 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'll keep my hacked Apple TV instead. It plays any movie file I throw at it :)

Gizmo, you can use handbrake to put any of your physical DVD's (or netflix rentals) on the standard Apple TV. I have a couple of my favorites on the Apple TV so I don't need to break out the DVD when I am in the mood.

FantasticVSDoom 02-17-08 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cheddarmuff

Sure there aren't tens of thousands of movies available yet, but Apple has all the major studios signed up and this will continue to grow at a rate only limited by Apple and the studio's ability to create electronic copies of movies and add them to their server.

This is my only complaint right now and as soon as more rentals (especially HD ones) become available, Ill be all over this.

rocketsauce 02-18-08 10:03 PM

Im looking to get an apple tv and was wondering if i purchase one now is it the take 2 or is take 2 purely an update i download? also is it free or a purchase?

rmorgan 02-18-08 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
Im looking to get an apple tv and was wondering if i purchase one now is it the take 2 or is take 2 purely an update i download? also is it free or a purchase?

If you buy one without the "Take 2" update, it's a free download. Just did this myself last week.

Jason 02-19-08 07:57 PM

Here's a blog with a supposed complete list of Apple TV HD material

http://www.appletvjunkie.com/appletv...e_HD_List.html

Pretty skimpy, but I imagine it will grow quickly.

Gizmo 04-30-08 11:40 PM

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ref=technology

There was good news for Apple and Comcast, but bad news for Blockbuster woven into Time Warner’s conference call with investors today.

Jeff Bewkes, Time Warner’s chief executive, said that the company’s Warner Brothers studio will now release movies for video-on-demand systems on the same day they are released as DVDs.

Until now, people who wanted to watch movies on cable pay-per-view systems or rental download systems like Apple TV had to wait a few weeks after the same movie was released as a DVD. (And the DVD comes out, of course, four or five months after a film hits the theaters.)

Warner Brothers has been experimenting with the new approach for the last few months. It has found that DVD rentals only fell by 3 percent to 5 percent and sales of DVDs actually increased, perhaps because of the increased promotion and fewer used rental discs available for sale.

Mr. Bewkes boasted to investors that the shift from DVDs to digital distribution, on the “day and date” of DVD release, will be better for Warner Brothers because it will eliminate some of the costs of manufacturing and distributing discs.

“Taking a customer and moving that person over from rental-physical over moving them to VOD day-and-date is like a 60 to 70 percent margin instead of a 20 to 30,” Mr. Bewkes said. “So it’s about a three-to-one trade.”

All this represents the beginning of the end for the Hollywood system of sales “windows” that are used to extract the most profits from a movie. Still, films are released first to theaters, and they are only available on video-on-demand systems for several months. Six months later, they are sold exclusively to pay TV networks like HBO. Later they show up on commercial television, and so on, although those deals mostly don’t prohibit rentals on pay-per-view systems.

I spoke briefly this afternoon to Kevin Tsujihara, the president of Warner’s home video unit. He said that we are moving to an era when there will be thousands of titles available to rent on systems like Apple TV. (The cable systems don’t currently have the capacity to offer that many movies.)

He said that, of the movies in Warner’s library, only 40 or 50 are now not available for pay-per-view or online rental because of its contract with its corporate cousin, HBO. That won’t disappoint the vast majority of movie watchers, he said because “after six months, most titles have played themselves out.”

For consumers, this moves Hollywood closer to what most people want: The ability to get any movie, on any device, at any time.

In addition to the windows, there is one other issue that the studios need to confront: For now, all of these pay-per-view systems require users to watch movies within a 24-hour period.

That means if you fall asleep watching a film one night, you can’t watch the second half at the same time the next night. Mr. Tsujihara said these rules were built into complex Hollywood contracts that he didn’t explain. But he acknowledged that if Time Warner wants those higher margins from video on demand, it will have to make sure that the rules for a digital rental are at least as lenient as renting a DVD from Blockbuster.
Ouch. As someone who owns an AppleTV, I love the fact that I can watch (at the moment) hundreds of movies within minutes 3-4 minutes of clicking "Buy". I tend to buy/rent new releases on Blu-ray, but I may wind up curbing my spending and simply going this route.

rfduncan 05-01-08 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cheddarmuff
This product is the future, blockbuster, netflix are all done...game, set, match. Why in the heck would you wait a couple days to receive a movie (netflix) or drive out to pick one up (blockbuster) when you can just click and order.

Get back to me when that future is the present. Right now 720p doesn't come close to beating 1080p with great audio options and extras that Blu-ray offers now...

I'm one of the few Americans who require instant gratification. I have my movies to watch this weekend from Netflix as of Tuesday. I don't need whimsy when it comes to my video viewing. Guess I'm the richer for it in more ways than one. :shrug:

Gizmo 05-01-08 10:05 AM

Cant lost link on iPhone but...

All new releases on AppleTV the same day as DVD. Appears to be for purchase only nut they mention rentals as well so who knows.