Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount Confirms 'Star Trek: Season 2' HD DVD Bump

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-13-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This isn't good. I'm still hoping for a good sale to get Season 1. Just read this from High Def digest

Paramount has set phasers to "delay" for 'Star Trek: The Original Series - Season Two,' confirming speculation that it has pushed back its planned March HD DVD debut to this Summer.

As we reported last November, Paramount had issued an early alert to retailers of a March 25 landing for the original 'Star Trek's second voyage, which (like the first season set) was expected to receive a lavish HD DVD/DVD combo box set with deluxe packaging and tons of extras.

Now we've heard from the studio that the March date has officially been delayed, with the second season now due "sometime this summer," though no new date has been confirmed. (Unofficial word of a delay for this title first surfaced as early as December, when TVShowsonDVD.com first quoted unnamed sources as saying that the studio "needed more time" to prep the release.)
As a full announce isn't expected for several months, there's no further news on specs or supplements. Needless to say, we'll keep you posted.
Old 02-13-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Flamebait removed.
Old 02-13-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even if it wasn't officially announced until now, this delay was talked about as far back as December. Paramount cited delays in the remastering process for the episodes. I wouldn't read too much into this.
Old 02-13-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is a pretty involved remastering process. I don't know offhand how many hours are in a season, but this restoration is back before editing, and for much more than the length of a movie.

For this project to not see delays would be shocking.
Old 02-13-08, 09:27 PM

Can't say i'm not a little bummed that S2 has been delayed but, given the impressiveness of S1, i'm all in for Seasons 2 & 3 whenever they release them.
Old 02-13-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I remember reading about this delay from back in December. It would be very easy to read way too much into the delay but I'm sure it's nothing more than remastering issues.
Old 02-14-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Paramount delays new Star Trek feature film until May 2009.

Hmmm, pretty sure this isn't a sign that they're planning to abandon theatrical releases....
Old 02-14-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
This is a pretty involved remastering process. I don't know offhand how many hours are in a season, but this restoration is back before editing, and for much more than the length of a movie.
I believe S2 had 26 episodes. Considering the volume, doesn't surprise me. Paramount is wise to do it "right" the first time - especially considering how critical the rabid fanbase is (and who wouldn't be overly critical of these releases considering the retail price tag the studio puts on the franchise!).

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Paramount delays new Star Trek feature film until May 2009.

Hmmm, pretty sure this isn't a sign that they're planning to abandon theatrical releases....
Huh? Talk about going of topic! Frankly the film would be better served as summer fare IMHO. Why December was considered in the first place seems a little silly.
Old 02-14-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Why December was considered in the first place seems a little silly.
Likely because there has not been a summer release of a Star Trek movie in nearly 20 years.
Old 02-14-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Likely because there has not been a summer release of a Star Trek movie in nearly 20 years.
Yeah, but look how poorly the last one fared in December.
Old 02-14-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Yeah, but look how poorly the last one fared in December.
And the last Trek movie to be released in the summer (ST:V) did poorly at the boxoffice too.
Old 02-14-08, 12:36 PM

Yup. The last three films all hit withing a week or two of my end-of-November birthday, and one was even on my birthday.

It's all good for this summer. We have Indy AND Star Wars in the same summer. How can it POSSIBLY get better than that?
Old 02-14-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. The last three films all hit withing a week or two of my end-of-November birthday, and one was even on my birthday.

It's all good for this summer. We have Indy AND Star Wars in the same summer. How can it POSSIBLY get better than that?
A Batman, Iron Man, and a good Hulk movie does it for me!
Old 02-14-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Huh? Talk about going of topic!
Star Trek HD DVD delayed. People speculate that Paramount must be ready to drop HD DVD.

Star Trek theatrical release delayed. Should we begin speculation that Paramount is ready to drop theatrical releases?

Do you see how the two points are connected yet?
Old 02-14-08, 01:08 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No. Given the context of the current market climate for each industry, one is a distinct possibility (whether it be dropping HD DVD or adding Blu-ray) and the other has basically zero possibility.
Old 02-14-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Star Trek HD DVD delayed. People speculate that Paramount must be ready to drop HD DVD.

Star Trek theatrical release delayed. Should we begin speculation that Paramount is ready to drop theatrical releases?

I don't get it either. Did someone in the thread make any speculation about this being a sign that a switch was imminent? If so, the post must have been deleted. And if it was deleted, why bother giving it further life by reacting to it?
Old 02-14-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Frankly the film would be better served as summer fare IMHO. Why December was considered in the first place seems a little silly.
I disagree. The past 4 or 5 ST movies were released in Nov. or Dec. and didn't do shit at the box office. There's usually a tenth of the competition then as compared to summer. Now they have to go up against some of the summer's best, as opposed to the mediocre holiday fare.
Old 02-14-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I don't get it either. Did someone in the thread make any speculation about this being a sign that a switch was imminent? If so, the post must have been deleted. And if it was deleted, why bother giving it further life by reacting to it?
+1
Old 02-14-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wonder if they will release season 3?
Old 02-14-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Come on people. It's clear they're going to market the Season 2 HD release with the movie release. They do this stuff with DVD releases all the time.
Old 02-14-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
Come on people. It's clear they're going to market the Season 2 HD release with the movie release. They do this stuff with DVD releases all the time.
That could be it, but I also know that the amount of work they have been putting into the remastering and new FX is substantial, and it may be that they were overly-optimistic in their release schedule.
Old 02-14-08, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
A Batman, Iron Man, and a good Hulk movie does it for me!
Point taken.
Old 02-14-08, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Someone did. One of the regular trolls.
Old 02-14-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Someone did. One of the regular trolls.
however, that post was long gone by the time Josh posted the comment in question. there was no need to continue that line of discussion.
Old 02-17-08, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And the last Trek movie to be released in the summer (ST:V) did poorly at the boxoffice too.
Yeah, but it came out in '89, probably the most stacked summer of all time (Batman, Indy 3, Ghostbusters 2, Lethal Weapon 2, etc.). That, and it was Star Trek V.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.