Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray Disc Player Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray Disc Player Thread

Old 07-26-08, 03:50 PM
  #251  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,505
Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman
Should I wait for the Panasonic as well?

It is nice to have the most audio options, but my big concern is the upconverting of DVDs. The PS3 does a great job at upconversion, but how will the standalones fair? Do the new BD standalone players unconvert DVDs better than the PS3, the same or worse?

For example: Watching House, M.D. on the PS3 makes it look fantastic. It rivals the actual HD broadcasts. Will I get the same quality with the standalones, though?
The Samsung UP5000 (combo BD/HD) player has the Reon chip which makes DVDs look fantastic. As far as DVD upconversion on other units...probably the same as the PS3. IIRC, the Sony 350 is a notch better than the Panasonic BD50....but I need the DTS MA internal decoder so I'm going to go with that one. I have an XA2 so it makes DVD upconversion a moot point for me.
Old 07-26-08, 05:55 PM
  #252  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,857
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I would note that like my LG BH200 the Samsung UP5000 stretches 4X3 DVDs so you have to switch your TV to 480P on some sets like mine. For that content I prefer to watch them hassle free on the PS3.

The Reon is higher rated than the Qdeo on the LG, but overall I've been pretty happy with the DVD quality on the LG and PS3.
Old 07-27-08, 11:21 AM
  #253  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,813
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The Samsung UP5000 (combo BD/HD) player has the Reon chip which makes DVDs look fantastic. As far as DVD upconversion on other units...probably the same as the PS3. IIRC, the Sony 350 is a notch better than the Panasonic BD50....but I need the DTS MA internal decoder so I'm going to go with that one. I have an XA2 so it makes DVD upconversion a moot point for me.
Well I've put the PS3 in the box and I'm going to sell it. I might sell it here and it will include a BD remote control, extra controller, Bluetooth headset and a HDMI cable and optical cable. Everything is in great condition and I'm just going to have to think of a price to sell it all at.

After I packed everything up I plugged in my cheap $69 Sony CD/DVD DVP - NS67P and although I can tell a slight difference between it and the PS3 (the DVP - NS67P isn't an upconverting player); the Sharp Aquos even makes video input look good.

I've had bad luck with Samsung products, so I think I will stick with getting the S350. With BD players coming down in price I will probably end up getting more than one. I might also consider getting an upconverting DVD player and a BD player so I don't use one player for everything. If I can find a XA2 I'd love that for upconversion.

Originally Posted by darkside
I would note that like my LG BH200 the Samsung UP5000 stretches 4X3 DVDs so you have to switch your TV to 480P on some sets like mine. For that content I prefer to watch them hassle free on the PS3.

The Reon is higher rated than the Qdeo on the LG, but overall I've been pretty happy with the DVD quality on the LG and PS3.
What type of HDTV do you have?
Old 07-27-08, 01:31 PM
  #254  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,857
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman

What type of HDTV do you have?
Sharp Aquos LC-52D64U

It won't let you squeeze content in 1080p. You have to drop the image from the player down to 480p to squeeze it. It isn't the biggest deal in the world, but I usually find it easier to just use the PS3 since it is a great DVD player and formats 4X3 content correctly on DVDs. It also remembers where you leave off on every DVD you play. Very handy with TV box sets.
Old 07-28-08, 08:24 PM
  #255  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,944
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman
I think this might just be the first standalone BD player for me. I just got a 32" Sharp Aquos, Pioneer receiver and a HD PVR and since February when I got the 40GB PS3; I've found myself yet again hardly playing any video games. I was going to wait for the Sony BDP - S550, but the S350 looks like it'll be a good standalone. I'll probably still end up keeping the PS3 around just encase anything happens, but I've always been a fan of standalone players. I will miss some of the features of the PS3 and I might even consider buying the new PS3 coming out in the fall just for more storage.

I do need a little help, though. I can't find the S350 anywhere. Is it out in Canada yet?

I'm one of those people who don't like shopping on the internet for some reason and I'd even ask if anyone here could find one and send it via COD (cash on delivery) for me...
I don't know if the Sony S350 has made it to Canada but it has been reported at Best Buy and Circuit City in the US. However, a number of people have said that the Best Buy stores they have visited only have the obsolete S300 on display... for the same $399 price! They reported that they had to ask to get the S350 because BB is trying to move the old stock of S300s first.

So, if you have a Best Buy near you and you don't see it on the shelf, ask. I believe that you can also check the availability of the player at local stores by going to the BB website.
Old 07-28-08, 09:01 PM
  #256  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,505
Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
I saw the 350 at my local BB last week. It was high up on the shelf back where the TV stands are located. They clearly want to move the 300's first (mine ha a stack of at least 20 of them), but the 350 is easily noticed due to the black and blue box.

It will be in next weeks Best Buy ad so they will have to put them out by then...
Old 07-28-08, 09:05 PM
  #257  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's really sad that even at this point, I can't find a 100% reliable Blu-Ray player that lives up to the PS3's standard, for around $300. Blu-Ray is really taking off, a lot of software is out, a lot more is coming, reduce the price of these players and get more people in on it already!
Old 07-29-08, 01:53 PM
  #258  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,813
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darkside
Sharp Aquos LC-52D64U

It won't let you squeeze content in 1080p. You have to drop the image from the player down to 480p to squeeze it. It isn't the biggest deal in the world, but I usually find it easier to just use the PS3 since it is a great DVD player and formats 4X3 content correctly on DVDs. It also remembers where you leave off on every DVD you play. Very handy with TV box sets
You pretty much have to do it that way for curtain players.

Originally Posted by lizard
I don't know if the Sony S350 has made it to Canada but it has been reported at Best Buy and Circuit City in the US. However, a number of people have said that the Best Buy stores they have visited only have the obsolete S300 on display... for the same $399 price! They reported that they had to ask to get the S350 because BB is trying to move the old stock of S300s first.

So, if you have a Best Buy near you and you don't see it on the shelf, ask. I believe that you can also check the availability of the player at local stores by going to the BB website.
The S300 is still being advertised in the weekly flyers and although the US Best Buy website has the S350 listed; the Canadian site doesn't. They are currently selling the S300 for $379.99. When I shop online at Future Shop or Best Buy I just get a gift card for the amount I need and then order it. If I could use the gift card for the US site I'd just buy it that way. Can you do that, though?

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
It's really sad that even at this point, I can't find a 100% reliable Blu-Ray player that lives up to the PS3's standard, for around $300. Blu-Ray is really taking off, a lot of software is out, a lot more is coming, reduce the price of these players and get more people in on it already!
I agree. New standalones are going to keep coming out and I think the PS3 will stop being the best BD player soon.
Old 07-29-08, 08:42 PM
  #259  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,857
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Standalones continue to be crippled by their design. I think they will start to shine when they stop being underpowered Linux boxes. The PS3 gets away with its design because the Cell is so powerful, but the standalones just seem slow and clunky by comparison.
Old 07-31-08, 01:54 AM
  #260  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,505
Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Holy Crap!



We've been following the rumor since January, today it's official: LG's BD300 Network Blu-ray Disc Player will begin streaming Netflix movies in the US this September. The player will cost "well under $500" and allow Netflix members to stream more than 12,000 standard definition TV and films through the device at no additional increase to their monthly paid subscriptions. Members will use the Netflix website to add movies or TV to their individual instant queues. Movies will begin playing in as little as 30 seconds when selected from the TV where users can browse, make selections, read synopses, rate movies, and fast-forward / rewind video streams using the BD300's remote control. While specs on the player itself are scarce, we do know that it supports BD Live and LG's SimpLink technology to integrate easily with LG TVs and AV products. One thing's for sure, with this deal announced and those with Roku and the Xbox 360 in the bag, it looks like Netflix is grown-up and ready for the digital age
Ok, I'll be buying this as long as it decodes DTS MA...

Last edited by Gizmo; 07-31-08 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-31-08, 07:50 AM
  #261  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 8,048
Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Giz, I saw your post on AVS. Any word on analog out and internal decoding? If that is the case, I'd likely get this over a PS3 and/or the S550 or BD50/51.
Old 07-31-08, 10:21 PM
  #262  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,505
Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts


Dolb Digital Plus? Any Blu's have DD+...me thinks this was suppose to play HD DVDs at some point and time...



Old 08-01-08, 08:50 AM
  #263  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Relocated to Bot-Hell
Posts: 11,571
Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Holy Crap!



Ok, I'll be buying this as long as it decodes DTS MA...
Nice to see this capability coming to BD. I've had the Roku box since it came out and if I can start condensing boxes, I'll be happy.
Old 08-03-08, 02:42 PM
  #264  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,077
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry if I haven't read the whole thread, but are there any issues with the Panasonic BD30 that I should know about? I wasn't planning on getting a standalone player for another year or so, but I saw one for a price that may be too good to pass up - $207. I haven't been paying much attention to standalones, so I don't know much about them.

I know it doesn't do BD Live, but I really don't think I care. If there are any problem discs I could still use the PS3 for those. I've been using the PS3 for games a lot more lately, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a standalone to reduce wear and tear on the BD drive. The firmware should be pretty mature by now, right?
Old 08-03-08, 02:47 PM
  #265  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,937
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Sorry if I haven't read the whole thread, but are there any issues with the Panasonic BD30 that I should know about? I wasn't planning on getting a standalone player for another year or so, but I saw one for a price that may be too good to pass up - $207. I haven't been paying much attention to standalones, so I don't know much about them.

I know it doesn't do BD Live, but I really don't think I care. If there are any problem discs I could still use the PS3 for those. I've been using the PS3 for games a lot more lately, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a standalone to reduce wear and tear on the BD drive. The firmware should be pretty mature by now, right?
I love my BD30 and paid a hell of a lot more than that. It only hiccuped once on Walk Hard with some audio drops and annoyances, but upgrading the firmware took care of it. I love it, I can't imagine how you could go wrong for $207.
Old 08-03-08, 02:51 PM
  #266  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,505
Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
$207 is amazing, I'd snap one up at that price.

Keep in mind if you want DTS MA you'll have to bitstream it to a receiver that can decode it and obviously no BD-Live. Other then that....GET IT!
Old 08-03-08, 05:26 PM
  #267  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drexl
Sorry if I haven't read the whole thread, but are there any issues with the Panasonic BD30 that I should know about? I wasn't planning on getting a standalone player for another year or so, but I saw one for a price that may be too good to pass up - $207. I haven't been paying much attention to standalones, so I don't know much about them.

I know it doesn't do BD Live, but I really don't think I care. If there are any problem discs I could still use the PS3 for those. I've been using the PS3 for games a lot more lately, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a standalone to reduce wear and tear on the BD drive. The firmware should be pretty mature by now, right?
I've had mine since November '07 and it has been solid as a rock. No playback issues whatsoever. Panasonic has been the most consistent BD hardware manufacturer. Can't go wrong with them. Unlike Samsung, they are very consistent on firmware upgrades.

I just added the new Sony 820 receiver to it and am now able to bistream DTS HD MA. Sounds amazing.
Old 08-03-08, 05:37 PM
  #268  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,505
Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
I should add the Panasonic 30 and 50 are having issues with some new Paramount /Universal titles where 24FPS must be turned off. Other then that...get it.
Old 08-03-08, 09:28 PM
  #269  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,077
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, I got it. Now I have to see if I actually have any CD-ROMs to do the firmware update.

There Will Be Blood is the last Paramount disc I bought, so hopefully that plays fine. I don't have any Universal discs yet.

Oh BTW, I read about the DTS "bomb" thing, but I updated the firmware on my Onkyo 605 a few months ago. So that shouldn't be a problem, I suppose.
Old 08-03-08, 11:08 PM
  #270  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drexl
Well, I got it. Now I have to see if I actually have any CD-ROMs to do the firmware update.

There Will Be Blood is the last Paramount disc I bought, so hopefully that plays fine. I don't have any Universal discs yet.

Oh BTW, I read about the DTS "bomb" thing, but I updated the firmware on my Onkyo 605 a few months ago. So that shouldn't be a problem, I suppose.
What version are you on? 1.8 is the most current, but 1.6 was the last major update. If you don't have problems with 1.6, I don't think you need 1.8. I'm still using 1.6, although I never had a problem with any version.
Old 08-03-08, 11:21 PM
  #271  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,077
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
What version are you on? 1.8 is the most current, but 1.6 was the last major update. If you don't have problems with 1.6, I don't think you need 1.8. I'm still using 1.6, although I never had a problem with any version.
Well, I downloaded 2.2 which is dated July 14th. However, the CD I used didn't work for some reason. I'm not sure if I have any more here (I've gone to DVD-ROMs). It's at 1.6 out of the box.
Old 08-03-08, 11:23 PM
  #272  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drexl
Well, I downloaded 2.2 which is dated July 14th. However, the CD I used didn't work for some reason. I'm not sure if I have any more here (I've gone to DVD-ROMs). It's at 1.6 out of the box.
I didn't even know 2.2 was out. Wonder why they skipped a 2.0 release. I don't think I'm updating again until I experience a problem.
Old 08-06-08, 12:09 AM
  #273  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,505
Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Picked up my BDX1 (S350) from Costco yesterday...and I love it. Easily one of the best stand alone Blu-ray players on the market and almost as fast as my PS3. The remote is laid out much nicer (and the Costco version is actually backlit) and the size is so damn small. As soon as the S550 comes out I'll be getting that one. Panasonic lost my business.
Old 08-06-08, 10:59 AM
  #274  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,944
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As mentioned in the bargains thread, today's Amazon Deal of the Day is the Sony S300 for $299. Ten months after Profile 1.1 was established, they are still trying to unload the Profile 1.0 S300 players everywhere I look. Sony must have made a boatload of them.
Old 08-09-08, 04:55 PM
  #275  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,505
Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Panasonic BD50 already discontinued?

Blu-ray Players
When it comes to high definition, Blu-ray technology is the future. One of Panasonic’s Blu-ray players is a must-have for the high-def techie on your holiday gift list. Both the DMP-BD35 and the DMP-BD55 players incorporate the new UniPhier® processor which reproduces crisp, natural colours faithful to the original movie. Brilliant images are complemented by an exceptionally pure, accurate sound achieved through leading-edge sound technologies. Both players also incorporate a high capacity SD card slot for easy AVCHD Video and JPEG image viewing.

In addition to the above, both models have the capability to connect to BD-Live™ via an Ethernet terminal to give users the ability to network and download additional website content onto an SD memory card for additional entertainment enjoyment.

The DMPBD55 focuses additional attention to audio performance with the addition of 7.1 analogue outputs, audio grade components and isolation feet to reduce the effects of vibration.

Pricing available upon request.
http://www.photoxels.com/pr-panasoni...uide-2008.html

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.