Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Netflix chooses Blu-Ray, dropping HD DVD from Rentals.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Netflix chooses Blu-Ray, dropping HD DVD from Rentals.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if Blockbuster Online is going to do the same thing soon?
Old 02-11-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ack! I recently went purple due to the recent discounting of the HD-DVD players (A30), with the assumption I'd just rent any of the HD-DVD titles I wanted to see from Netflix. Titles like There Will Be Blood.... oh well, I really should have expected this. I guess I'll just have to either wait, or bite the bullet and just buy the stuff I really want to see. I'm not going to drop Netflix over this... I've been with them since 1999 and have generally been happy with their service for the entire time.
Old 02-11-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Full press release:

http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=265

Netflix, Citing a Clear Signal From the Industry, Will Carry High-Def DVDs Only in Blu-ray Format

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif., Feb. 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- With the industry now having picked a winner in the face-off between the two competing high- definition DVD formats, Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX), the world's largest online movie rental service, today said that it will move toward stocking high-def DVDs exclusively in the Blu-ray format.

Citing the decision by four of the six major movie studios to publish high-def DVD titles only in the Sony-developed Blu-ray format, Netflix said that as of now it will purchase only Blu-ray discs and will phase out by roughly year's end the alternative high-def format, HD DVD, developed by Toshiba.

Since the first high-definition DVDs came on the market in early 2006, Netflix has stocked both formats. But the company said that in recent months the industry has stated its clear preference for Blu-ray and that it now makes sense for the company to initiate the transition to a single format.

"The prolonged period of competition between two formats has prevented clear communication to the consumer regarding the richness of the high-def experience versus standard definition," said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix. "We're now at the point where the industry can pursue the migration to a single format, bring clarity to the consumer and accelerate the adoption of high-def. Going forward, we expect that all of the studios will publish in the Blu-ray format and that the price points of high-def DVD players will come down significantly. These factors could well lead to another decade of disc-based movie watching as the consumer's preferred means."

Added Mr. Sarandos: "From the Netflix perspective, focusing on one format will enable us to create the best experience for subscribers who want high- definition to be an important part of how they enjoy our service."

While only a portion of Netflix subscribers have elected to receive high- def DVDs, a majority of those subscribers have chosen Blu-ray over HD DVD. As part of the transition to Blu-ray, the company said it will acquire no new HD DVDs but that its current HD DVD inventory would continue to rent until the discs' natural life cycle takes them out of circulation in the coming months.

When Warner Home Video announced last month that by the end of this year it will release high-def titles exclusively in the Blu-ray format, it joined fellow majors Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment and Buena Vista Home Entertainment in endorsing Blu-ray. Currently, the two remaining majors, Paramount Home Entertainment and Universal Studios Home Entertainment, publish in the HD DVD format.

Netflix currently stocks over 400 Blu-ray titles, having recently added popular releases such as "Across the Universe" (Sony), "Gone Baby Gone" (Buena Vista) and the Academy Award nominated "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.). Blu- ray titles scheduled for release in the next month or so include the Academy Award nominated "No Country for Old Men" (Walt Disney), "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" (Sony) and "Alvin and the Chipmunks" (20th Century Fox).

About Netflix

Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) is the world's largest online movie rental service, providing more than seven million subscribers access to more than 90,000 DVD titles plus a growing library of more than 7,000 choices that can be watched instantly on their PCs. The company offers nine subscription plans, starting at only $4.99 per month. There are no due dates and no late fees -- ever. All Netflix plans include both DVDs delivered to subscribers' homes and, for no additional fee, movies and TV series that can be started in as little as 30 seconds on subscribers' PCs. DVDs are delivered free to members by first class mail, with a postage-paid return envelope, from over 100 U.S. shipping points. Nearly 95 percent of Netflix subscribers live in areas that can be reached with generally one business day delivery. Netflix offers personalized movie recommendations and has two billion movie ratings. For more information, visit http://www.netflix.com/.

SOURCE: Netflix, Inc.
Old 02-11-08, 09:09 AM

I'm pissed about this move as well. I switched from Blockbuster online to Netflix solely because there was more availability of HD DVDs on Netflix. However, I was looking into switching back and am concerned about Blockbuster as well.

While a lot of upcoming HD DVDs were listed there, does Blockbuster only get HD DVD if it's exclusive to that format over Blu-Ray?

For instance, I looked up I Am Legend (which I thought was confirmed as coming on HD DVD) and they only have the Blu-Ray edition available, but on HD DVD it says N/A. WTF???!?

This is really upsetting as I can't afford to purchase a lot of HD DVDs and was relying on rentals heavily to enjoy my HD DVD add-on for the 360.
Old 02-11-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Motherfucker.

Oh well, there goes my Netflix subscription. I had switched from Blockbuster awhile back because I was doing one of those "sign up for two offers, get a free Xbox 360 game!" deal awhile back (and I got Guitar Hero 2 and the guitar out of it) but looks like I'm going back.
Old 02-11-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
And DVD's don't scratch?

This just sucks...I may switch back to Blockbuster after this move. UNLESS...Netflix gets a LARGE supply of Blu-Ray discs. Honestly, both service SUCK with HD/BD....all are VERY LONG WAIT from Netflix (Blockbuster was not much better also).
I was actually just pointing out a possibility that someone had mentioned in another forum. Of course DVD's scratch. Jesus. Relax.
Old 02-11-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lame. My account has been on hold because I have been traveling so much, but I thought my selections would always be there.

So if you have some rented, I wonder if they care if you keep them!
Old 02-11-08, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone know any good Blockbuster promo codes?
Old 02-11-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What if Blockbuster soaked up all the new accounts from this decision only to turn around in a couple months and announce BD exclusivity? Customers would surely be irate about that. One would think that if Blockbuster intended to announce BD exclusivity any time soon, that this announcment would apply a little pressure to expedite such an announcement.
Old 02-11-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I wonder if Blockbuster Online is going to do the same thing soon?
I'm sure Blockbuster Online will do the same thing...it's silly not to think otherwise.

I'm fine w/ this as I expected it to happen eventually (definitely not this soon though!). With this change i really, really, really hope they UP the stock on the Blu-Ray titles they get.
Old 02-11-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
What if Blockbuster soaked up all the new accounts from this decision only to turn around in a couple months and announce BD exclusivity? Customers would surely be irate about that. One would think that if Blockbuster intended to announce BD exclusivity any time soon, that this announcment would apply a little pressure to expedite such an announcement.
Blockbuster has been BD exclusive in most of it's retail stores for a while already. We'll have to see with the online part.
Old 02-11-08, 09:37 AM

If it didn't happen now by intention, it would happen in six months by attrition anyway.

Given the problems they've been having supplying the titles they list now -- thousands of complaints about HD and BD queue items being on "Very Long Waits" and finally being shipped from Timbuktu -- having to further divide their HD service by format can't be helping their bottom line.

If it's true that a large majority of their HD customers choose BD, it makes sense to drop the format that fewer customers prefer, especially if there are relatively few exclusive releases in that format anyway.

(However, I wonder about that. How many "purple" members made BD their first choice simply because there are more titles available in that format? Does that mean their desire for HD-DVD if available doesn't count at all? Netflix's system doesn't let you choose "send any available HD format.")

My problems with Netflix have little to do with dropping HD-DVD, and much to do with not being able to get *any* recent HD releases in a timely mannner from them.
Old 02-11-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm switching to Blockbuster. Sent an email to Netflix telling them why.
Old 02-11-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What are you guys going to do when Blockbuster Online goes BD exclusive just like the stores? Complaining and sending emails won't do anything since I'm sure this decision was probably made internally for a while. Just swallow the bitter pill and move on. A lot of BD supporters had to do the same thing with the Paramount announcement so I see this as being no different.
Old 02-11-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
What are you guys going to do when Blockbuster Online goes BD exclusive just like the stores? Complaining and sending emails won't do anything since I'm sure this decision was probably made internally for a while. Just swallow the bitter pill and move on. A lot of BD supporters had to do the same thing with the Paramount announcement so I see this as being no different.
I don't own a Blu-Ray player, and don't plan to until I can purchase a finished spec player for a reasonable (under $250) price. Blockbuster may go BD exclusive, but unless they do so in the next month, switching makes sense to me. Why should I be forced to stop enjoying hi-def movies?
Old 02-11-08, 09:58 AM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
I realize you take a risk when you become an early adopter, but it still feels like the HD DVD-only supporters are being left out in the cold.
Old 02-11-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I'm switching to Blockbuster. Sent an email to Netflix telling them why.
Seems a little premature when you don't know if BBO is going to do the same thing, and it's likely that they will. They have only stocked BD in their stores for some time now, so it's practically guaranteed.

Considering the difference in service, it's pretty much biting your nose to spite your face.
Old 02-11-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just hope this means Netflix will get more BD movies. If that is the case, I'll keep them.....if not, Blockbuster sounds tempting.

My wife enjoys Netflix On-Demand though...hmmm, decisions. Although, all the HD/BD movies I have in my queue have a wait on them.
Old 02-11-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah shit. I had quite a few on my list too!

I will support Blu-ray as the definitive HD format, but I think even in five years, when HD-DVD is considered a nothing format, I will still have my player and my movies. I feel too cool to give up a niche format; I mean, I was too young for laserdisc.
Old 02-11-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipper II
I realize you take a risk when you become an early adopter, but it still feels like the HD DVD-only supporters are being left out in the cold.
It hurts the purple people too. Now everyone has to settle for DVD when it comes time to rent Sweeney Todd or There Will Be Blood, not to mention the existing exclusive titles that could take years to hit BD.
Old 02-11-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
*shrug* I want to support HD DVD for as long as I can. And I want the companies to know that just because Sony wanted BD to win doesn't mean that I agree it should have.
Old 02-11-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Going forward, we expect that all of the studios will publish in the Blu-ray format and that the price points of high-def DVD players will come down significantly.
I sure hope so! Please tell that to the CE companies involved in Blu Ray.
Old 02-11-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipper II
Hello... that is why it was called "a format war" from the very beginning. In WAR there are going to be casualties. Some were under the belief that both formats would co-exist. That was an unrealistic view.

Some saw the 1/4/08 Warner announcement for what it was... the point of no return in the hi-def format war, with Blu-ray the victor.

For others, they will grumble and complain with each end-of-HDDVD announcement as if it came as a total surprise.
Old 02-11-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chanster
I sure hope so! Please tell that to the CE companies involved in Blu Ray.
Yeah, really. I want to buy a Blu-Ray player. It just pisses me off that HD DVD is essentially dead and there are still no comparable Blu-Ray players to HD DVD players in terms of price. That's really what this Netflix announcement means to me- no more enjoyment of HD movies, unless I switch to Blockbuster.
Old 02-11-08, 10:24 AM

Goodbye netflix...Hello Apple TV !!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.