DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   How would you rate the PQ of T2 BR against the EE? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/524899-how-would-you-rate-pq-t2-br-against-ee.html)

OutRun2 02-11-08 01:59 AM

How would you rate the PQ of T2 BR against the EE?

I just finished watching the BR of T2 on my PS3. I think the picture quality was good, but a tad on the soft side.

I compared the BR version playing in my PS3, to the Extreme Edition of my SD disc playing on my Toshiba AX-2 HD-DVD player, and to my somewhat disappointment, found the difference in the BR version to be only slightly improved.

Keep in mind that my projector is native 720p, not 1080p.

Here's the thing... my Toshiba AX-2 HD-DVD player does a stunning job of upconverting sd-dvds. I think it upconverts T2 so well, that I could barely tell the difference between the BR(ps3) and the SD(Toshiba).

Have any of you compared the bluray of T2 to the EE version? Was the difference significant to you? In my opinion the transfer of the BR doesn't hold a candle to the likes of The 5th Element, Crank or King Kong.

On another note, what software do I need to run the WM9 HD theatrical cut on disc 2 on my PC? I attempted to run it but it only seems to launch in WinDVD, which I can't play since my trial sub ran out. Is there any way to get the HD version to play in any other software?

Mr. Salty 02-11-08 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by OutRun2
On another note, what software do I need to run the WM9 HD theatrical cut on disc 2 on my PC?

Since it's in Windows Media format, I'd recommend trying ... Windows Media Player. Which is what it says on the back of the case.

OutRun2 02-11-08 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Since it's in Windows Media format, I'd recommend trying ... Windows Media Player. Which is what it says on the back of the case.

Doesn't work. For some reason upon clicking on the d drive it launches winDVD.

chanster 02-11-08 09:51 AM

Thats because you have autorun set probably on your computer. Try opening Windows Media Player first then browsing to the DVDs. From what I remember watching the HD version through WMP was a pain in the ass but maybe thats my faulty memory.

Josh Z 02-11-08 10:50 AM

The Blu-ray was an early release for the format. It looks a little bit better than the DVD, but not hugely. A good reference for this is Arnold's first scene. You can make out his chest hairs more clearly on the Blu-ray than on the DVD.

The HD DVD from Europe has a better transfer.

Mr. Salty 02-11-08 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by OutRun2
Doesn't work. For some reason upon clicking on the d drive it launches winDVD.

That's because you have WinDVD set as the default application for the file type in question. As chanster wrote, you need to start Windows Media player manually.

OutRun2 02-14-08 02:28 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that when I get a chance.

Yeah, I hear the new German version coming out next month is going to be THE version to get, with a transfer that's supposedly going to put 5th Element and even Planet Earth to shame.

obladioblada 02-17-08 12:04 AM

I agree. The Blu of T2 isnt that much better than the upconverted T2. I rented T2 blu before I bought it and compared. Since T2 is one of my catalog favorites I still bought the blu since it was still better and only $15.00 of Amazon at the time.

QuePaso 02-17-08 04:11 AM

I am waiting for a double dip on T2 on blu-ray, its one of those guarantee Double Dip titles IMO. The original release doesnt have lossless audio, or i would have bought it from Amazon, its only 14 bucks.