DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Why are people selling the Shooter BR for $40-50 on Exchange Forum? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/524837-why-people-selling-shooter-br-%2440-50-exchange-forum.html)

argh923 02-10-08 11:49 AM

Why are people selling the Shooter BR for $40-50 on Exchange Forum?

And people seem to be paying it. Why? Is it rare or something? It's on my list to upgrade, but not at that price.

The Cow 02-10-08 11:55 AM

It's a Paramount title on BR.

Why they are buying it, I have no idea.

MrDeets 02-10-08 11:56 AM

It's a Paramount title so the Blu-ray is out of production. Some sellers are just jumping the gun in anticipation of it becoming rare. You can still find it in some stores (online or B&M) for the regular price.

wewantflair 02-10-08 12:20 PM

I got over $60 for it on ebay. Cha-ching!

Arpeggi 02-10-08 12:21 PM

It's "OMG! OOP!!!!! OPP!"

True_Story1011 02-10-08 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
It's "OMG! OOP!!!!! OPP!"

You down with OPP, yeah you know me!

BuckNaked2k 02-10-08 01:14 PM

Dreadful movie. NetFlix-worthy at best.

dan30oly 02-10-08 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Dreadful movie. NetFlix-worthy at best.

Dreadful? That's being a bit drastic.

It was worth watching, but definately not worth buying even on a HD-DVD bogo.

Jericho 02-10-08 01:43 PM

Funny thing is the HD-DVD has better sound, and would be the better choice for dual format owners. Although I say as an owner of the Shooter Blu-Ray. I guess I should consider selling it for those prices.

BuckNaked2k 02-10-08 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Dreadful? That's being a bit drastic.

It was worth watching, but definitely not worth buying even on a HD DVD bogo.

All right....perhaps I was a bit harsh. I wish to temper my initial assesment.

I guess when I saw sheeple paying $50 - $60 for this title, I was a bit taken aback.

Lord Rick 02-10-08 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jericho
I guess I should consider selling it for those prices.

Consider? If I had one it'd be on ebay faster than a speeding bullet.

Heck, you could almost buy an HD-DVD player for that (not that I would).

DVD Polizei 02-10-08 02:07 PM

^^^Yeah, right.

THEY'RE COMIN' OUTTA THE WOODWORK, FOLKS! LOOKOUT!

Arpeggi 02-10-08 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jericho
Funny thing is the HD-DVD has better sound, and would be the better choice for dual format owners. Although I say as an owner of the Shooter Blu-Ray. I guess I should consider selling it for those prices.

The Shooter HD DVD is $24.99 at Best Buy.com and is eligible for Buy 1 Get 1 Free.

Lord Rick 02-10-08 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
^^^Yeah, right.

THEY'RE COMIN' OUTTA THE WOODWORK, FOLKS! LOOKOUT!

What's that supposed to mean?

It wasn't a jab, just my opinion. I had an HD-DVD player and a BR player, don't have time to watch all my movies, so I sold one. More importantly, my BR player plays rental discs, whereas my HD-DVD player never did.

Limited shelf space for components, limited HDMI inputs, etc are another reason to have only one player. Especially if you're busy and cheap like me.

If people are happy with their HD-DVD players, I say more power to them. I can see the value in getting cheap discs that look great, if you're into collecting.

VAMPYRE XX 02-10-08 02:38 PM

I got it on HD-DVD at Best Buy for $12.49 since they had the Buy one get one free deal. It's sure to come back out on Blu-ray again once Paramount goes back over to Blu-ray production. since of course blu-ray has won the big format war. People are just stupid to pay more than regular price. It will be back in print soon I would bet.

GatorDeb 02-10-08 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by VAMPYRE XX
I got it on HD-DVD at Best Buy for $12.49 since they had the Buy one get one free deal. It's sure to come back out on Blu-ray again once Paramount goes back over to Blu-ray production. since of course blu-ray has won the big format war. People are just stupid to pay more than regular price. It will be back in print soon I would bet.

How'd you get it for $12.50? Shooter was one of the 2-for-1 $29.99 titles.

Arpeggi 02-10-08 03:24 PM

It's $24.99 on the website. Do an instore pickup.

GatorDeb 02-10-08 03:48 PM

Well I don't really have another title to pair with it... (of the 12.99 I only wanted Inside Man and Van Helsing) and I had 6 of the $30 titles... I'm SOL aren't I? It's not like they'll just take an extra $2.50 off.

True_Story1011 02-10-08 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lord Rick

It wasn't a jab, just my opinion. I had an HD-DVD player and a BR player, don't have time to watch all my movies, so I sold one. More importantly, my BR player plays rental discs, whereas my HD-DVD player never did.

Limited shelf space for components, limited HDMI inputs, etc are another reason to have only one player. Especially if you're busy and cheap like me.

If people are happy with their HD-DVD players, I say more power to them. I can see the value in getting cheap discs that look great, if you're into collecting.

What player did you have that couldnt play rentals? Fischer-Price my first HD-DVD player :lol:

GatorDeb 02-10-08 04:02 PM

THANKS Vampyre and Rpeggi, Shooter is $25 and Disturbia is $20, so I get both for $25! :D You just saved me an extra $5! :)

Lord Rick 02-10-08 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
What player did you have that couldnt play rentals? Fischer-Price my first HD-DVD player :lol:

Toshiba XA1. It and the A1 were notorious for not playing rentals. Some owners had no problems, others a lot.

Amazing picture and sound on new discs, though.

PhantomStranger 02-10-08 05:52 PM

The video encode is specifically targeted for Blu-ray. Unlike Warner, Paramount did separate encodes on certain releases. It looks very good, maybe a tad short of reference but nice quality.

GatorDeb 02-10-08 06:34 PM

So because of this thread I found out Shooter was $24.95 at Best Buy online, and when I checked the other titles, Disturbia was $19.99. This is what my receipt looked like:

Shooter $29.99
Breach $0.00

Disturbia $29.99
Shrek The Third $0.00

So I took all the DVDs back to Best Buy and asked the CSR to ring up Shrek and Breach together for $29.99 for both, and then Shooter and Disturbia for $24.99 for both. She said that was too much trouble and that she'd just pricematch it, so this is what my receipt looks like now:

Shooter $24.99
Breach $0.00

Disturbia $19.99
Shrek The Third $0.00

Got back $16.16 instead of the $5 I was expecting. Thanks Vampyre and Rpeggi!!! :D :D

MBoyd 02-10-08 10:01 PM

There was an interesting movie in the middle. The beginning and end were definitely dreadful.

DVD Polizei 02-10-08 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lord Rick

Just playin' wid yah. Can't believe someone would pay this much for a movie, either.