Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek the original series season 1 HDDVD for $97.49 with free shipping at Amazon

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek the original series season 1 HDDVD for $97.49 with free shipping at Amazon

Old 02-08-08, 09:54 AM

Cheapest price I have seen so far.

Star Trek HDDVD Amazon link
Old 02-08-08, 10:41 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

So very tempting... but can't justify the purchase to the girlfriend...
Old 02-08-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's more tempting at that price, but I'll still have to pass. I have to believe that sooner or later (hopefully sooner) Paramount will wise up and find a way to start releasing on Blu-ray again. I'll wait for that version.
Old 02-08-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll bite for somewhere around $50-60. Good price though I admit!
Old 02-08-08, 11:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

RoboDad,
way to add nothing to the topic at hand.
Old 02-08-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
RoboDad,
So other people are allowed to discuss their reasons for not buying the set, but not me?

Makes perfect sense.
Old 02-08-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
RoboDad,
It's a valid point. While I bought this (and love everything but the packaging), and would easily buy additional ones on HD-DVD, I can understand some people waiting for it to come out to Blu-Ray. Hell, I might be tempted to wait if they make the next season another combo release.
Old 02-08-08, 02:34 PM
Suspended

I am waiting for the BD release to purchase as well.
Old 02-09-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Paramount isn't Blu. Why even mention it in this thread? Perhaps if it was phrased "hopefully in the next year or two, this will get released on blu-ray". This is a great deal for a 10 disc 30 episode box set loaded with extras.
Old 02-09-08, 11:35 AM

If this was a month or so back (before HD-got-stabbed-in-the-back-day ) I would have nabbed it without hesitation. I was on the fence last night but decided to wait and see if it goes lower. I did order two other HDs, neither costing nearly a hundred clams.
Old 02-09-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RoboDad
So other people are allowed to discuss their reasons for not buying the set, but not me?

Makes perfect sense.
The look and sound of perfect sense.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 02-09-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the Regular dvds and will wait for BlueRay in a few years.
Old 02-09-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm just going to wait alittle longer. I'm sure I'll find it at a pawn shop, or they'll be clearancing them out somewhere.... Hell, even ebay may have them for cheap!
Old 02-09-08, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD
Paramount isn't Blu. Why even mention it in this thread? Perhaps if it was phrased "hopefully in the next year or two, this will get released on blu-ray". This is a great deal for a 10 disc 30 episode box set loaded with extras.
I'm already burned with having the first 5 HD-DVD's of Harry Potter and the last 2 seasons of Smallville that I will never be able to complete on HD-DVD, why would I buy one season of Star Trek on HD when seasons 2 & 3 may never be released?
Old 02-09-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dan30oly
I'm already burned with having the first 5 HD-DVD's of Harry Potter and the last 2 seasons of Smallville that I will never be able to complete on HD-DVD, why would I buy one season of Star Trek on HD when seasons 2 & 3 may never be released?

so you can get some of this 'I got burned BAD' love over here!
Old 02-09-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, great price. I really need to resist though, I'm trying to cut back.

I've been getting them through Netflix and they are indeed awesome, I think it's totally worth $100 personally. And I do think the rest will come out on HD, isn't the next set coming this summer?
Old 02-10-08, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by sage
Cheapest price I have seen so far.

Star Trek HDDVD Amazon link
what`s sad is you can only get $90 for these on ebay.
Old 02-10-08, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Actually, this is a good point I do wish I would have picked up Harry Potter in blu, but I suppose since my HD-DVDs are in a box and not the single discs, it doesn't matter as much.

I just don't like Blu-ray only owners coming in this thread and others (American Gangster) declaring that they aren't going to pick up the HD-DVD. Wow, really!?

I'm going to continue to support HD-DVD only releases, since, really, there isn't another alternative right now. I want to watch as much content in high-def as possible. For people who own HD-DVD to pass on titles like this or American Gangster/Beowulf/Kite Runner, etc because the format is failing, to me doesn't make sense.
Old 02-10-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Amen, bro.

I say, so what if my first five HP movies are HD DVD and the last two are Blu-ray. So frickin' what. They are both HD and combo players will certainly be around for me to enjoy them. But what about the first season of Star Trek being in HD DVD and the rest are not? So frickin' what. Big deal. Boo-hoo. I can still play them. They will not explode or self-destruct from little Sony Goblins getting into my HD DVD collection.

I'm still gonna wait for the price to drop on this set, however.
Old 02-10-08, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Amen, bro.

I say, so what if my first five HP movies are HD DVD and the last two are Blu-ray. So frickin' what.
Not all of us have blu-ray players in all viewing rooms in the house.

I believed in HD-DVD and had a player in my bedroom and in my game room for convenience of being able to play in whatever room I chose to. I recently purchased a ps3 for the game room, but will not put one in the bedroom. So, now I can watch the first 5 HP movies in whatever room I chose, but if I wish to watch the last 2 I am limited to the gameroom only. And, please don't point out that I could move the ps3 into the bedroom, I would rather shell out another $400 than be moving hardware back and forth (like I did for my 360).

As far as I am concerned. Breaking up sets between blu and hd would be the equivelant of having the first Star Wars movie on Beta and the other on VHS.
Old 02-10-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, I guess I'm not as worried about it. By the time the last two HP movies are on Blu-ray, you'll be able to buy a combo player for $200. Making sure my entire collection is all Blu-ray for the future, is of no concern to me at the moment. All I wanna, do is get some good deals on HD DVD movies now so I don't have to get them on Blu-ray later.

For multi-entertainment rooms, I can understand the frustration.

If you had a VHS/Beta combo player, wouldn't you be more inclined to not worry about what format you bought your movies on?

Blu-ray and HD DVD are virtually identical, except for the external color of the case. On a side note, I wonder if somebody is going to make "neutral" HD cases (I like purple). If you have a HD DVD/Blu-ray combo player, you're not going to notice much of a difference--and I would imagine in a year or more from now the JAVA issues of Blu-ray should have been taken care of.

But again, the multi-entertainment room setup is more complex than the one-room entertainment setup, so I understand what you're saying.
Old 02-10-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oooooohhh it just hit me why people say they went purple - they support BOTH formats... I thought maybe they meant Blu-ray but were a bit colorblind
Old 02-10-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Oooooohhh it just hit me why people say they went purple - they support BOTH formats... I thought maybe they meant Blu-ray but were a bit colorblind

Are you serious?
Old 02-10-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
Are you serious?
Yes I didn't understand why people said purple instead of blue, but I didn't pay much attention to it.
Old 02-10-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
All I wanna, do is get some good deals on HD DVD movies now so I don't have to get them on Blu-ray later.

If you had a VHS/Beta combo player, wouldn't you be more inclined to not worry about what format you bought your movies on?
If you don't care which format you buy a title on, why are you going to such lengths to avoid buying on Blu-ray?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.