DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Who uses their PS3 as their everyday dvd player (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/524441-who-uses-their-ps3-their-everyday-dvd-player.html)

crow121 02-05-08 08:02 PM

Who uses their PS3 as their everyday dvd player

What's the chances of overuse? Can something go wrong?

PopcornTreeCt 02-05-08 08:31 PM

I've been lately. I got it hooked up via HDMI so the DVDs are being upconverted.

Define overuse. I watch about 1 or 2 movies a day.

hellmutt 02-05-08 09:02 PM

I do. Between offering upconverting, HDMI output, and minimizing the boxes in my living room, the PS3 is golden.

Drexl 02-05-08 10:06 PM

Well, I use the HD-A2 because I don't have as many HD DVDs. I figure I'd be better off using it to even out the drives usage.

That said, I don't think it's much to worry about. As long as you're not using it for 14 hours every day or something, the drive should last a while. I think if drive failure was a widespread problem, there would be a lot of talk about it.

vgc 02-05-08 10:10 PM

I bought my PS3 as just a blu ray player. I didn't like the Sony BDP-S300 at all. It was too slow to turn on and actually play a dvd. I took it back and got the PS3. I have a 360 and a Wii, and I don't really want or have time for another game system. So, I have no games and use it only to watch movies!!

Thanks,

vgc

Rob 02-05-08 11:12 PM

Check out the "PS3 as Blu-Ray player" thread on the AVS Forums. Tons of people are using their PS3 for their BD player. You're safe.

Drexl 02-05-08 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rob
Check out the "PS3 as Blu-Ray player" thread on the AVS Forums. Tons of people are using their PS3 for their BD player. You're safe.

He said DVD player though. I take it he was asking if it's safe to use for BDs and DVDs, as if using it for both would be too much and wear out the drive.

Gizmo 02-05-08 11:27 PM

I wouldn't worry too much. I use my XA1 since it produces a better picture then the PS3, but I don't think the PS3 will die because of us...and if it does, I'm sure it will be a long time, and by then they should be fairly cheap.

yellowlt4 02-05-08 11:29 PM

Heck yeah, its the best DVD player I've seen for less than $800.

Michael Corvin 02-05-08 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by yellowlt4

:lol:

Abe. 02-05-08 11:36 PM

I do.

WiiDSmoker 02-05-08 11:36 PM

i hope u mean Blu-Ray player =p

yellowlt4 02-05-08 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker
i hope u mean Blu-Ray player =p

Nope, I meant DVD player. This side of the ~$800 Denon I haven't seen anything that beats the PS3 as an upconverting DVD player. The Toshiba XA2 was very close and prefered by a few of the people who was involved in our test day but I still gave a slight edge to the PS3.

Gizmo 02-06-08 12:01 AM

Nope, I meant DVD player. This side of the ~$800 Denon I haven't seen anything that beats the PS3 as an upconverting DVD player. The Toshiba XA2 was very close and prefered by a few of the people who was involved in our test day but I still gave a slight edge to the PS3.

Thats interesting as the XA2 is often chosen as the best Upconverter available, regardless if its a DVD player or a multi like HD DVD/Blu-ray.

yellowlt4 02-06-08 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Thats interesting as the XA2 is often chosen as the best Upconverter available, regardless if its a DVD player or a multi like HD DVD/Blu-ray.

I agree and I was using the XA2 as my primary DVD player until I upgraded the PS3 to the 1.8 firmware. After the 1.8 and now the 2.0 firmware updates I prefer the PS3 so much so that the XA2 has been sold.

rdclark 02-06-08 06:28 AM

The only think that keeps me from using the PS3 for everything is its inability to simultaneously send out composite video and downmixed 2-channel audio while also providing HDMI video and optical multichannel.

This means I can't feed my remote system (in the kitchen) with the same DVD I'm playing in the living room.

Both my HD-A2 and my Pioneer DV-563A can do this, so right now my A2 is the go-to player for everything except hi-rez audio and BD.

thebluearmylive 02-06-08 07:26 AM

Samsung LN-T4065F(X) 40in 1080P 3HDMI 15k constast 10 bit LCD color 178view

Direct TV box with all HD channels

Speakers

Logitech Z5500 5.1 5 speakers 325 watt the Sub10by13by14 does 189 watt,THX 5.1 DD DTS DTS-ES hardware for that its in sub so works like normal movie sound setup .

Toshbia HD A30

Because I did in past 18 months like a really really really alot of copying dvd for self with zero compression. Also the fact my 1080P tv will only do it in dvd or newest game consoles so far no tv channel runs in the P format and will not be for some time no faster than 3-5 years, I bet.I like the Toshbia very much so and makes zeros compression ENCODES look great and HD TOO.

Plan on Blue ray with PS3 because youget far more for less money and I read the blue ray looks great on the PS3 and looks to be the way to go

Qui Gon Jim 02-06-08 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Well, I use the HD-A2 because I don't have as many HD DVDs. I figure I'd be better off using it to even out the drives usage.

That said, I don't think it's much to worry about. As long as you're not using it for 14 hours every day or something, the drive should last a while. I think if drive failure was a widespread problem, there would be a lot of talk about it.

Agreed. I don't think there are really any complaints on the build quality of the PS3.

GreenMonkey 02-06-08 07:55 AM

Upconverting maybe - that seems to be very subjective. On well-flagged movie DVDs I can see that, perhaps.

But deinterlacing wise, absolutely no way.

I just spent $240 on an XA2 because I wanted better deinterlacing. It's heaven. No more combing and other deinterlacing artifacts on anime, on film-to-video transitions in special features, documentaries....

Anyway, even before the XA2, I used the A2 which deinterlaced a tad better..and push came to shove, the A2 in 480i mode and let my projector's Faorudja deinterlace (much better). Anyway, no IR sensor on the PS3 was the deal breaker there anyway since the Harmony gets used almost exclusively.

I've got the Schmartz IR adapter inhouse now, and I have PS3 and Harmony playing together sort of...it just needs more tuning.

rfduncan 02-06-08 08:17 AM

This side of the ~$800 Denon I haven't seen anything that beats the PS3 as an upconverting DVD player.

Yeah when I saw the upconverting on the PS3, my Samsung upconvert DVD-RW went bye-bye.

bookcase3 02-06-08 08:46 AM

I use my PS3 strictly for BD -- I find it heats up if I leave it in stand-by mode, so I always flip the switch in the back to turn it off. I've never had a similar issue with my A2, so I use it for everything else.

mike2 02-06-08 08:55 AM

I pretty much only use my PS3 for Blu-ray. I've got a practically new Vcr(i know lol got it as a present)/dvd combo player. So I figure I'll just play the hell out of it until it breaks. My first dvd player is still going strong. Moved it upstairs... I have no idea how many hours i put into that player. Bought it around '01 retired it in Nov...lots of movies.

As far as using it as dvd player as well. I don't see a problem with it. It's a solid system imo.

yachtsman 02-06-08 10:59 AM

PS 3 is an excellent upconverting player IMHO. For my 50 inch Panasonic Plasma I am yet to find a better DVD player. Now, if somebody could make it region free and include DVR function it would be perfect.

Kromax 02-06-08 11:43 AM

Don't hate the player...hate the remote. Pain shoots through me every time I have to pick up the PS3 remote in my left hand, with the Logitech Harmony in my right hand. Damn you Sony. Damn you straight to hell.

pinata242 02-06-08 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kromax
Don't hate the player...hate the remote. Pain shoots through me every time I have to pick up the PS3 remote in my left hand, with the Logitech Harmony in my right hand. Damn you Sony. Damn you straight to hell.

You wouldn't have to hate the remote if it weren't for the player being restricted to BT only, though. Agree with the damnation of Sony for that, however.