Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Toshiba HD DVD Superbowl Commercial Discusssion

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Toshiba HD DVD Superbowl Commercial Discusssion

Old 02-03-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/hddvd/

The one on the bottom right ran.
Old 02-03-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts
Here's the ad:

http://www.spike.com/video/2938290

It apparently didn't air in every market, and in many of the ones that it did the commercial was in SD.

Horrible.
Old 02-03-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts
What a fucking waste.
Old 02-03-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Yeah, that commercial is sure going to gain new customers. Cough. Puke. Call 911.
Old 02-03-08, 10:18 PM
Banned

Ran in Seattle during the 3rdQ, in HD, and I'm very underwhelmed. It would have been so easy to make something catchy like so many others were doing.

When the ads for saleswhatever.com are better than your ads, you've done very wrong.

Last edited by cardaway; 02-03-08 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 974 Likes on 630 Posts
What do you expect from the people who came up with "the look and sound of perfect"?

It's disappointing. Without getting into any of the usual format war bickering, Toshiba has such a great product on their hands, and they just cannot find any way to properly market it.
Old 02-03-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They had a disc labled "HD-DVD" that they put in the player?!? WTF?

They couldn't even get something with some disc art on it. Lame.

Yeah I am sorry - I had HD DVD first. I supported it for a long time before I went purple . . .but at this point they deserve to lose.
Old 02-03-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No commercial out here in Boise. I really don't know what could make a dent at this point, but it would have to be something so drastic that I just don't see anyway Toshiba can pull it off with their track record.
Old 02-03-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What a sad joke.
Old 02-03-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I feel bad about what I just posted. But then again, i dread seeing what Bill Hunt posts tomorrow.
Old 02-03-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
Eh commercial. Got the price point out there and the retailers that carry HD DVD, Circuit City included. Sorry Bill, not being clearanced out anytime soon.
Old 02-04-08, 12:58 AM

At the party I was at, the first response to the commercial was, "Yeah, guys, right after the game, let's watch Shrek!"
Old 02-04-08, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
I feel bad about what I just posted. But then again, i dread seeing what Bill Hunt posts tomorrow.
Toshiba had a chance during the Superbowl. They fucked up. Major. I mean really. Hire a creative marketing team. I'm continually consternated by their limited and myopic views on how to market a product. If this is all Toshiba has, then they need to stop it right now, announce combo players, and get on with life. Spare your loyal consumers the embarassment.

P.S. Who cares what Bill posts. Like it would matter at this point, anyway.

What really irritates me, is Microsoft announces they have $45 Billion to throw at Yahoo!, while HD DVD is suffocating. I mean, really. What the fuck here. Microsoft apparently has unofficially signed-off on HD DVD, if you ask me. $45 Billion would have determined the HD format war. Would have been over in a few minutes. I always wondered why they were silent during CES and the WB deal, and now I know. They have bigger plans. And HD DVD ain't it. Or Blu-ray.
Old 02-04-08, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Did the American Gangster ad even say available in HD DVD? I didnt hear or see it.
The ad I saw mentioned it in that "quick, Micro Machines talk", but even that was "also available in HDDVD combo". Also, the HDDVD logo was at the bottom. If you coughed/blinked, you wouldn't have noticed.

As for the Toshiba commercial, it was one of the most basic commercials that ran during the Super Bowl. It reminded me of low budget local ads. It was very forgettable.
Old 02-04-08, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
What really irritates me, is Microsoft announces they have $45 Billion to throw at Yahoo!, while HD DVD is suffocating. I mean, really. What the fuck here. Microsoft apparently has unofficially signed-off on HD DVD, if you ask me. $45 Billion would have determined the HD format war. Would have been over in a few minutes. I always wondered why they were silent during CES and the WB deal, and now I know. They have bigger plans. And HD DVD ain't it. Or Blu-ray.
Online ad revenue is worth billions. HD DVD? Peanuts to Microsoft.
Old 02-04-08, 05:31 AM

It would make sense that most people saw it in HD if it was just a local ad. I'd say that most stations (especially FOX stations) aren't locally HD. They may broadcast their network programming in HD, but their local programming and/or commercials aren't. The station I work at just went all HD last year, and we're probably considered an early adopter (we're even up for an award for engineering, even though none of the equipment works right...though that's really the fault of the company who made the system we purchased). Even still, I'm not sure how many national ads we get in HD. I'm not even sure if we have a system set up to receive them in HD (some commercials still come on Beta, though some come down onto a video server). That's a good question I need to ask.
Old 02-04-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is "consternated" a word?
Old 02-04-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts
I saw it. I was shocked that they show a bunch of jock type guys on the couch watching football, and then they switch to Shrek? Shrek? Wow what a horrible choice. I did like the Bourne Ultimatum showing, but they commercial was just boring. It was a regional spot, and felt like it as people mentioned above.

You never realize how important marketing is until you see a company who has no idea how to do it.
Old 02-04-08, 08:14 AM

Well Toshiba , if this is what it has come to for you and HD-DVD you truly have lost this war and you better stop now while you got some dignity left.
Old 02-04-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The commercial did not air in the Raleigh/Durham, NC area. I waited all night. Almost every ad I saw was in HD with the exception of maybe 5 ads. On the bright side for HD-DVD there were no BluRay commercials either. But why waste money when HD-DVD is practically giving them the format war. During the ABC basketball national HD broadcast last weekend I saw about 20 BluRay/PS3 commercials.
Old 02-04-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At least some of you guys got to see it. The fact that this ad was regional makes this that much more pathetic.
Old 02-04-08, 09:11 AM
Cool New Member

Why did they bother advertising they were going to have a spot? I think it's more embarassing that they made a big deal out of it, only to have little viewed, completely uninteresting recycled spot. If they hadn't made a big deal out of it, no one would care. Now it's just sad.
Old 02-04-08, 09:16 AM
Banned

While I was sitting there watching the game on my friend's brand new Toshiba HDTV I wondered why they have not been creating ads like that Dell one for their new XP line. They could easily market their players and TV's together showing how much of an upgrade they are from SD TV's.
Old 02-04-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Nothing here in the D. I thought after the game maybe they pulled the spot. Ridiculous.
Old 02-04-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts
I didn't see it hear in KC?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.