DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Why Does T3 on BD Have an Inferior Soundtrack to HD-DVD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/524138-why-does-t3-bd-have-inferior-soundtrack-hd-dvd.html)

Joe Schmoe 02-01-08 09:54 PM

Why Does T3 on BD Have an Inferior Soundtrack to HD-DVD?

I believe the surround sound on Terminator 3 BD is 5.1 DD and on HD-DVD it's 5.1 DD+. Why does one format have a better soundtrack than the other? And given the fact that BD's can hold more data, why does it have the inferior soundtrack instead the better one? And why doesn't either format offer a lossless soundtrack?

matome 02-01-08 10:24 PM

They are both the same Dolby Digital soundtrack encoded at 640kbps. Blu-ray's DD limit is 640kbps and HD-DVD's is 448kbps, so technically anything higher than that rolls over to DD+ on HD-DVD. DD+ allows for higher kbps, up to 3 or 6mbps, but Warner doesn't go higher than 640, so that soundtrack on T3 is exactly the same on both formats. As far as no lossless, I don't know.

Joe Schmoe 02-01-08 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by matome
They are both the same Dolby Digital soundtrack encoded at 640kbps. Blu-ray's DD limit is 640kbps and HD-DVD's is 448kbps, so technically anything higher than that rolls over to DD+ on HD-DVD. DD+ allows for higher kbps, up to 3 or 6mbps, but Warner doesn't go higher than 640, so that soundtrack on T3 is exactly the same on both formats.

Really? Wow. The average consumer would have no idea about bit rates, but if he/she believes DD+ is an upgrade over DD, wouldn't that give HD-DVD an edge as far as marketing goes? The two soundtracks might be the same in the lab, but if one package says DD+ and the other says plain ol' DD, wouldn't the average buyer assume the one with DD+ is superior?

Josh Z 02-01-08 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Really? Wow. The average consumer would have no idea about bit rates, but if he/she believes DD+ is an upgrade over DD, wouldn't that give HD-DVD an edge as far as marketing goes? The two soundtracks might be the same in the lab, but if one package says DD+ and the other says plain ol' DD, wouldn't the average buyer assume the one with DD+ is superior?

I doubt the average buyer cares.

The bigger problem with Terminator 3 is that the Blu-ray was mistakenly encoded at 1080i resolution, whereas the HD DVD is 1080p24. This was an error, and I believe Warner has started an exchange program to provide corrected copies.

RoboDad 02-02-08 02:54 AM

Do you know if titles already in the wild were recalled? Or is there some way to identify corrected discs on store shelves?

PhantomStranger 02-02-08 08:30 PM

There are no corrected discs on shelves and probably won't be for a while. The only way to get a corrected disc is to go through the Warner exchange program at this moment.

True_Story1011 02-03-08 08:36 AM

Well C/TS still have error versions of 'The Fifth Element' out in stores, so I'd imagine that it will be handled in a similar way. As the title sells down they'll replace it with 'REMASTERED' discs. But if it bugs you that you paid for a 'i' disc you can exchange it through the mail.

Artman 02-03-08 10:54 AM

Last I read WB was taking names and info, but had not started an "exchange program" yet, or announced a corrected version... has that changed?

We'll proabably see a new release next yr anyways...with T4 coming out. (also by WB). Hopefully a T2 SE as well...

flix1 02-03-08 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by matome
They are both the same Dolby Digital soundtrack encoded at 640kbps. Blu-ray's DD limit is 640kbps and HD-DVD's is 448kbps, so technically anything higher than that rolls over to DD+ on HD-DVD. DD+ allows for higher kbps, up to 3 or 6mbps, but Warner doesn't go higher than 640, so that soundtrack on T3 is exactly the same on both formats. As far as no lossless, I don't know.

Interesting ... I did not know this.

Do you know if this is the same case for Planet Earth? It is listed as DD+ for HD-DVD and DD for Blu-ray. I had wanted it on HD-DVD, but have since bailed after the Warner announcement. The audio spec was what was holding me back from buying the Blu-ray version.

PhantomStranger 02-03-08 04:51 PM

640 kbps Dolby Digital is always equivalent to 640 kbps Dolby Digital Plus. The only difference is how the flags are read by the player. There is no sonic difference.

matome 02-03-08 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by flix1
Interesting ... I did not know this.

Do you know if this is the same case for Planet Earth? It is listed as DD+ for HD-DVD and DD for Blu-ray. I had wanted it on HD-DVD, but have since bailed after the Warner announcement. The audio spec was what was holding me back from buying the Blu-ray version.

They're the same soundtrack on both formats. They're not even encoded at 640kbps, only 448 for both.

Regardless of whether you prefer the authoritative David Attenborough or the more soothing tones of Sigourney Weaver, 'Planet Earth's audio is a disappointment. Just as with the BBC next-gen versions, the Discovery Channel only offers a single surround audio track on its HD DVD and Blu-ray versions of 'Planet Earth.' A standard Dolby Digital 5.1 surround mix offered here is encoded at a paltry 448kbps, while the optional Dolby 2.0 stereo mix is even a more lowly 192kbps -- hardly the uncompressed or lossless high-res audio that most of us were hoping for.
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/planetearth_us.html