DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   The Invasion HD DVD already in stores? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/524054-invasion-hd-dvd-already-stores.html)

Parasol Stars 02-01-08 12:21 AM

The Invasion HD DVD already in stores?

Hey gang, just thought I'd let you know that the Best buy in Fenton Missouri has a few copies of The Invasion on HD DVD already on the shelf. Isnt this movie not supposed to come out till Feb 19th?

Arpeggi 02-01-08 12:53 AM

Saw a bunch of them at my Best Buy also.

dcprules 02-01-08 03:24 AM

I saw quite a few at Hastings...$26.99

obidawsn 02-01-08 06:08 AM

That does seem interesting. The only reason that the HD-DVD has a delayed release date is because Warner is phasing it out and trying to get people to go to Blu-Ray. But it seems they are sending them out at the same time (at least with this release). If the retailers are receiving the HD-DVDs with the other formats, they will put them out, not understanding the complicated release schedule that Warner is creating. Since this release schedule is just starting, it will be interesting to see how it will be handled for future releases. Luckily, "the Invasion" isn't that big of a release. (lol)

highclassrob 02-01-08 11:33 AM

I hope they end up putting them all out early, that 3 week window is lame.

Yavin 02-01-08 02:43 PM

Haven't seen any HD-DVD copies out early at my local Best Buy or Future Shop. I will have to double check next week, just out of curiosity.

Peep 02-01-08 06:56 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this was only because "The Invasion" was already in the pipeline. Warner is known for screwing up their distribution.

PhantomStranger 02-01-08 07:27 PM

Warner's distribution system has been a disaster for months. I'm surprised when regularly scheduled product shows up on release date.

Gizmo 02-01-08 09:44 PM

Saw a copy but passed. The movie has gotten such bad reviews.....I'll wait to see if I can grab it for sub $10.

whotony 02-01-08 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by obidawsn
That does seem interesting. The only reason that the HD-DVD has a delayed release date is because Warner is phasing it out and trying to get people to go to Blu-Ray.

:rolleyes:

Engel07 02-02-08 01:58 AM

I saw the movie...and yep...it was pretty bad. I'll pick it up if only I can get it for $5...so I can fill up space on the shelf.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Saw a copy but passed. The movie has gotten such bad reviews.....I'll wait to see if I can grab it for sub $10.

True_Story1011 02-02-08 12:22 PM

I really dont see why everyone says this is sooo bad - It wasnt half-bad.

TheMovieman 02-02-08 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by True_Story1011

I agree. It really wasn't an awful movie or anything. Not great, but certainly not as bad as some say...

As for the HD-DVD, I'll pick it up if it's cheap... along with other HD-DVDs that will be on clearance.

RichC2 02-02-08 12:29 PM

It's a movie that had a lot more potential than it delivered on is all.

dhmac 02-02-08 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by True_Story1011

If it wasn't the 4th film adaptation of this story, it would probably have a better reputation. But compared to the earlier film versions, particularly the first two which are both now considered classics, it's the runt of the litter.

applesandrice 02-02-08 07:05 PM

Boy, it'd sure be funny if the HD DVD version (which isn't supposed to be out yet) wound up outselling the BD version.

Cosmic Bus 02-03-08 12:13 AM

Saw copies out here, as well. Hoping this sort of mistake carries over to Assassination of Jesse James on Tuesday. :)

RoboDad 02-03-08 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by applesandrice
Boy, it'd sure be funny if the HD DVD version (which isn't supposed to be out yet) wound up outselling the BD version.

What would even be funnier is if the retailers who put the title out early got slapped with a penalty for violating their street date agreement with Warner.

Drexl 02-03-08 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by whotony
:rolleyes:

As someone who has both formats and tries not to bash one or the other, I think there's actually some truth to that. Why else do they have the staggered release schedule?

vcuram 02-03-08 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
As someone who has both formats and tries not to bash one or the other, I think there's actually some truth to that. Why else do they have the staggered release schedule?

I thought that face meant that obidawsn's post came from the "no shit" department.

BTW, I also saw lots of Invasion HD-DVDs. As for the question of which will sell more, my guess is that they both sell four copies.

True_Story1011 02-03-08 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by vcuram
I thought that face meant that obidawsn's post came from the "no shit" department.

BTW, I also saw lots of Invasion HD-DVDs. As for the question of which will sell more, my guess is that they both sell four copies.

I wonder who the other three people were? ;)

obidawsn 02-04-08 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by vcuram

Probably so, but that wasn't really my point. By stating the [obvious, but maybe not necessarily confirmed] reason of Warner's release schedule, I was making a point of how stupid it is, and that it's only going to confuse retailers and consumers, as it seems to have with this release. My point really was that it would be an interesting thing to keep an eye on.