DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Convince me why I should not buy a PS3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/523919-convince-me-why-i-should-not-buy-ps3.html)

crow121 01-30-08 02:05 PM

Convince me why I should not buy a PS3

I've been going back and forth with this. I only want the blu-ray function, the games are a plus. If you apply for a Sony Credit Card, they give you $100 off your first purchase of $299 or more making it around $324 total. In the PS3 bundle, I get Spiderman 3 game and 5 free Blu-ray movies that I would all sell to get some money back. I have Blockbuster Total Access to rent blu-ray movies.

But why should I not get one?

kaze0 01-30-08 02:09 PM

You have to use a PS3 controller to control movies unless you spring for something else...
1) The PS3 remote is an extra remote. Can't use a universal remote.
2) The IR usb adaptors for the PS3. You can't turn the unit on using them. Not all functions are supported.

The PS3 is imo ugly.

None of thse stopped me from buying 2. But every day I think about how much I hate not being able to use a universal remote.

josuff247 01-30-08 02:11 PM

You hate Blu Ray extras so much, you'd pay a premium to NOT see them ;)

Honestly though, The PS3 cant be beat as a bluray player. fast load times, ethernet capability for upgrades, wireless, it is a media center....Oh yeah and I hear it plays games too ;)

RoboDad 01-30-08 02:11 PM

Because no self-respecting HT enthusiast would ever even consider allowing a "game console" in their equipment rack (or at least that's people keep trying to say).

I have a PS3 in my rack right now, and I love it. Not only is it a stellar Blu-ray player (with the only flaws being the lack of multichannel analog outputs and DTS-HD MA decoding), it is also a great media server and streamer, and with it's regular, frequent, and painless firmware updates, it is only getting stronger.

chanster 01-30-08 02:12 PM

Applying for a credit card hurts your credit score.

E Unit 01-30-08 02:12 PM

It doesn't support DTS MA-HD and doesn't work with the Harmony remote. That's all I've ever read about the PS3 that is keeping people from getting it as a BD player. Oh yeah - and the price.

As for me, I would press you to get it. So unless those points are deal breakers for you, the PS3 is the best BD player IMO. Playback is just about flawless and the DVD upconvert is great in itself. Not to mention the firmware upgrades are pretty easy to do, especially if you use wireless.

DVD Josh 01-30-08 02:14 PM

You'll have less money for hookers and blow.

rfduncan 01-30-08 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by crow121
In the PS3 bundle, I get Spiderman 3 game and 5 free Blu-ray movies that I would all sell to get some money back.

I think you might be mistaken. The Spiderman 3 bundle contains the MOVIE not the game.

The remote wasn't a dealbreaker for me - it is on sale this week at Circuit City for $19.99 (which I got BB to match).

Personally, I can't help you. I got mine two weeks ago and haven't looked back. The upscaling alone was worth its weight in gold.

RoboDad 01-30-08 02:18 PM

And to clarify, it doesn't support DTS-HD MA decoding today. That may change (or it may not, who knows?).

And the universal remote issue is one that should be easily solved. There is already one kit designer that has perfected a prototype that turns a sacrificed PS3 remote into a Harmony transceiver (receives IR codes from a Harmony, and forwards them as Bluetooth to the PS3. And I see no reason why some enterprising outfit couldn't create a simple "dongle" device that simply plugs into an open USB port on the PS3 for power, and performs the same transceiver function. It wouldn't need to be very big or expensive, either. Properly produced, I would think that it could be sold for under $20.

lordzeppelin 01-30-08 02:22 PM

Why would we talk you out of it? Go get it...you'll enjoy it!

crow121 01-30-08 02:24 PM

Yeah, it's the movie, not the game. Either way, another thing to sell. And I could care less about my credit score. I already own a house, and chances are with this housing market, I'm not gonna sell.

And I could probably sell my current Upconverting DVD Player or my 5 Disc Changer I hardly use also.

Decisions?

ceeece 01-30-08 02:25 PM

I'm in the same boat. And the more I read these type of threads the more I am convinced to get a PS3 to make the switch over to HD movies. I already own an Xbox 360 for gaming so I'll probably only use the PS3 for exclusive games. But sadly, I will get it mostly for BluRay movies.

WepaMan 01-30-08 02:32 PM

I had already purchased one last weekend and hadn't opened it as I too was flip flopping back and forth on weather I was going to keep it or not.

I finally opened it yesterday and set it up, watched Cars on Blu-ray and was blown away. The rest of the evening was spend downloading and playing demos from the online store. All I can say now is that I should have opened it sooner as I am really enjoying it.

ceeece 01-30-08 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by WepaMan
I had already purchased one last weekend and hadn't opened it as I too was flip flopping back and forth on weather I was going to keep it or not.

I finally opened it yesterday and set it up, watched Cars on Blu-ray and was blown away. The rest of the evening was spend downloading and playing demos from the online store. All I can say now is that I should have opened it sooner as I am really enjoying it.

WepaMan,

Do you have a 1080p TV? I only have 720p/1080i That's why I am on the fence regarding BluRay

Sweet Baby James 01-30-08 02:40 PM

I've read that the fan can be noisy. I'm planning on getting one soon myself. Does anyone know if Sony is going to have another 5 free rebate offer after the current one expires tomorrow? I just might have to get off my ass and scoop one up pronto if they aren't going to bring back the rebate offer. Thanks.

bookcase3 01-30-08 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I've read that the fan can be noisy. I'm planning on getting one soon myself. Does anyone know if Sony is going to have another 5 free rebate offer after the current one expires tomorrow? I just might have to get off my ass and scoop one up pronto if they aren't going to bring back the rebate offer. Thanks.

I'd heard the same thing and feared the worst. I hooked up my 40GB PS3 last night, watched a movie, and couldn't hear anything until I leaned down to the system to turn it off.

FantasticVSDoom 01-30-08 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You'll have less money for hookers and blow.

Damn good argument!!! We have a winner!

Raul3 01-30-08 03:03 PM

Just buy it.

hoyalawya 01-30-08 03:04 PM

Because you hate Sony?

trubiet 01-30-08 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by kaze0
You have to use a PS3 controller to control movies unless you spring for something else...
1) The PS3 remote is an extra remote. Can't use a universal remote.
2) The IR usb adaptors for the PS3. You can't turn the unit on using them. Not all functions are supported.

The PS3 is imo ugly.

None of thse stopped me from buying 2. But every day I think about how much I hate not being able to use a universal remote.

It is only $24 and it is RF instead or IR, I would not trade my PS3 for any other BD player on the market!

RoboDad 01-30-08 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ceeece
WepaMan,

Do you have a 1080p TV? I only have 720p/1080i That's why I am on the fence regarding BluRay

When you say 1080i, are you talking about what it can accept, or what it can display? If it's a flat screen (e.g., LCD, plasma) or a microdisplay projector (DLP, D-ILA, LCD, etc.), then it is still a 1080p display.

FWIW, my 1080p DLP display "only" accepts 1080i/720p/480p, but it still looks AWESOME when viewing movies in high def.

Willh51 01-30-08 03:13 PM

I am getting one too, but I was going to wait for a few weeks to see if that rumored price drop happens.

kvrdave 01-30-08 03:16 PM

I would say because the games aren't worth it, but let's face it, there have been about four PS3s sold with games being the main reason to buy one. :lol:

With the Sony $100 deal, etc. I can't see not getting one. I have one and bought the remote. It doesn't kill me to have a harmony universal and 1 other remote.

cardaway 01-30-08 03:19 PM

Are "one remote only" people throwing away the controller? If not, you technically still have two "remotes" and the controller does what a universal will not... turn the unit off.

But yeah, if you're remote anal, mayeb the PS3 is not for you.

kefrank 01-30-08 03:19 PM

the PS3 is awesome. all the minor negatives about it have already been stated and they're far outweighed by the positives.